Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Paintings from my abstract painting class

terezosa / terriks
12 years ago

So I had a lot of fun the past two weekends taking an abstract painting class.

Here are the paintings I created. Some of them still need a bit of "finishing" work.

Comments (21)

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Wow Terriks, your use of color and form is very interesting. Very well done!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Great looking work! Sounds like (and looks like) you enjoyed yourself. :)

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

WOW...you certainly have a lot of talent. What a joy to be able to create such beauty. c

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Me and dd (dd and I?) especially like #2. The copper tones in #3 and that little square of colors is intriguing to me too. They are all beautiful!

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Very nice, Terriks! I love your use of color and if I had to choose a favorite, I think it'd be #1. I keep going back to it ... something about it evokes a feeling of nostalgia in me!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! I did have a lot of fun. At first I was a little apprehensive, because I think that I was the only one in class that had never taken a painting class. I just loved the instructor. She was very non judgmental and down to earth. Actually all the other students were also very supportive.

It was so fun playing around with color and texture. Yesterday we didn't use brushes at all, just paper towels, palette knife, and texturing tools.

The first picture is the one that I started with, and I didn't really like it until I added the lines. It's the only one I consider to be "finished". The teacher actually singled it out in class as being good enough to go into a show, so I was just thrilled.

Now I need to set up a space in my house where I can keep all my painting supplies ready for when the mood strikes.

I'm really glad that I discovered this, because I have really been looking for something fulfilling to do for the last 5 years or so, since we became empty nesters.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

I love number 3, and I could probably find a place in my house for #5! You're doing fantastic, I'm so impressed.

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

Wow, you're doing so well, I like all of them, it must feel great to be able to paint and create.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

If this is your first time, then you are a natural! Great pictures.

But take a deeper look at picture #1 and see if you see what I saw. (Grammar police, how bad was that sentence? lol) If so, you need to tweak it. Scary!

• awm03
    12 years ago

terriks, those are wonderful! I'm so impressed that you are finding artistic expression at this point in your life, and what fine expression it is! I hope you'll keep posting pictures as you create more paintings.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Those are marvelous. Let us know when you set up your Etsy shop!

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Interesting...my favorites, hard to choose, are the first one too, and #4. I find it interesting that your very first piece(s), done before you took the class, didn't have the counterpoint of large surfaces of color and sharp individual lines, like the teacher's work does, but now you're working in more of that contrast between space and line, blur and sharp focus. I honestly still like the piece(s) you posted before the class, too. I am really looking forward to seeing more of your work.

You know, there is a line of thinking about women artists that some women only really come into their full creativity after children are raised and menopause has come and gone. I personally love art by older women rather than by young schooled talent. Does that idea resonate with your experience at all?

and oakley, please don't hold out -- I tried to see 'something' in it and I can maybe make part of it look like a face? Or what is it?

• flyingflower
    12 years ago

Same here, my favorites are #1 & #4. I can see your art in a gallery! Very nice, I like your style and use of color. I wonder if your interest in interior design (coordinating prints & colorful fabrics) has helped you know which colors to put together in a painting?

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Fly, it's definitely an evil smiling face with a red tongue that caught my eye immediately. lol

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Very Nice! I admire your courage to try something new, as well as your work and your talent!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

#1 is my favorite also. Terri - you did a great job!!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oakley, maybe it will work better for you sideways (the way I started out painting it)

Or upside down (which is actually how I had it for quite a while also)

I was kind of bummed when I got home yesterday and showed them to my DH and son who was home for the weekend from college, because I had been so pumped up from my class, and they said "what are we looking at?" and "which one is the good one?" So I really appreciate all the positive comments here. So yes, I just posted for gratuitious compliments. ;)

I can't believe how this 2 weekend class has really got me thinking about shapes and design. I can't watch TV without watching a scene and thinking about the shapes and colors. Thank goodness for our DVR, so that I can rewind and get back into the plot! (and look some more at the composition on the screen)

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Very nice!! You have a great color sense, and I love your shapes. Are you going to hang them up? I would love to see how they look in a room!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I definitely don't see a face on those pictures! Hand your dh the dictionary and tell him to look up Abstract. lol. Men. Do they ever get it? :)

My BIL does abstract paintings and you can stare at them all day and see a million different things. I really like them.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

Is it a dog? Reminds me of our dog Howard.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Is it a dog?

Years ago I saw a tee shirt that had an abstract picture, including a dog, on it. The saying underneath was "Avant-garde dog".

To this day, I regret not buying it! Still makes me chuckle. I don't wear tees with sayings & logos so I didn't get it but I could have used it for wall art or a pillow cover or something.