Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Uffda! Unexpected knee news...

Faron79
10 years ago

After visiting the Surgeon today, received very unexpected news...

As I alluded to in the other thread, my kneecap has been tracking-off for some time. Turns out, 1/2 of kneecap is bone-on-bone...and the meniscus tears aren't even relevant to my knee pain/swelling. The B-O-B/kneecap issue is causing everything!

He was VERY good at explaining the "big-picture" issues with my knees overall mechanics.

Turns-out:
The best way to solve my knee is to basically RE-LINE the ends of the Tibia/Fibula, and of course the back of the kneecap. This way, there's a new "groove" for the k-c to slide in. No more uneven wear.
So basically....A NEW KNEE (just the overlay-surfaces)...wow. THAT thought never even entered DW's thoughts. Or mine!!!

Uffda...still trying to digest all this!
* Most likely scenario-
* 2.5 hospital days, crutches for a wk-or-3.
* Then a cane (a CANE!!) for ~~~ month or so.
* Back to work in maybe 6 weeks.....ugh...!!! Jeeeeeezzz!

So...yeah...got thrown for a loop today!

Faron

Comments (12)

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

My daughter just had a complete knee replacement. She is a highly athletic person. It takes a lot of work to get back to normal, but 5 weeks seems to be standard. She worked really hard on PT and doing everything right. Never gave up and PT guy wouldn't let her get away with out it either. Back to work at 5 weeks without even a cane, at 8 she was on the court coaching her kids in another state.

They have this surgery down. The ole' walker for a week, cane for 2 and then on her own. She really just used these for balance and would put full weight on when making coffee, cooking, taking walks and riding her mountain bike in the house on a mobile tread. They never had her on crutches. But it was push to go to the next level of PT, they won't let you back off. The hardest part was her using cold packs which made the metal cold and she would have to warm back up. Necessary for keeping and returning from swelling which caused more pain than the actual surgery.

I stayed with her for 3 weeks to help, mainly my fear of a possible fall. She was fully capable of taking care of herself. She is legally blind and this caused me concern regarding possible falls from not seeing changes in depth while walking. Never a concern from her end, she battles with the best of them, but I needed to be mom.

Hope all goes well. Think positive, go for it and you will be back to norm. Most norm, she still says it is odd having a foreign object in there, no pain at all. And far better than dealing with what was.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I need a knee replacement-my left knee is bob too-it's horrifically painful! I hope to get mine done next year (good excuse for a vacation in a tropical locale!)

Everyone I know who's had knee replacement says that it's imperative you do the PT-even if it hurts. My mom's husband wouldn't do his-so he's having a LOT of trouble now. He complained it was too painful for him to do-but of course-he also complained so loudly that he was getting oxycontin for months from his Elvis doctor-but that's a different story.

You'll feel much better once you've had it done. Good luck big guy!

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

DH just had knee replacement surgery a week ago today. Yes the PT is painful but need to follow through with it. He also had full hip replacement last May. He said so far the knee has been easier than the hip and less pain. Just that the PT is tougher. Good luck to you.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Oh no, that sounds more involved than you were expecting. My mom had knee replacement at 81, both knees, and was up and around the next day. She wasn't fast, but she was mobile. The dr called her his poster child for knee replacement. The 2nd knee wasn't quite as fast.

In any case, you might be surprised how well you do. When does the dr want to do this? Do you normally have a slowdown at work this time of year or the opposite?

• Faron79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh you folks here are "the bomb!"!!

We didn't inquire much about PT...we were pretty surprised about the "Best-fix" diagnosis! Still trying to wrap my head around "needing a re-lined" knee & knee-cap!!!! Such an Uffda moment don'cha know...;-)

In a way, I got kinda "numb" to all the different joint-repair stories/advancements over so many years. It just becomes kind of a "back-of-mind" thought...something I NEVER thought would "apply to me".
    Well surprise Faron...it's in your LAP now!

The more I think about it, I lean towards the surgery. "Get it fixed RIGHT...the FIRST time!" I'm not scared of surgery at all for the most part. As Marti inquired about, late fall/winter is the slower time at work overall. I'd rather be back to full-speed by spring!!
    The Dr. did mention Synovisc (sp??) shots, & that many do get some relief for a time. Others don't realize much benefit. He'd also be fine with "scoping" for now. It would help with my minor swelling for a time, but doesn't really address the REAL issue.

He's been in Fargo now since 1980, & did 3 hip procedures on DW's Dad. Very well thought of in Fargo & our tri-state area. I'm comfortable with him. He took a lot of time to explain everything!

Faron

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Sending my best wishes to you, Faron. One day at a time. I hope everything works out perfectly, and that you'll soon be as good as new.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Sending my best wishes too, Faron. Hope your knee surgery makes you feel young again.
    You'll be able to jump up & down in comfort now when you cheer for the Bison!

p.s. KU beat Duke last night in a great close game. This bball season is gonna be goooood for Jayhawk fans. Rock Chalk & Go Bison!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

My old boss had knee replacement and he decided to spend a couple of weeks in a rehab center as he didn't have to deal with stairs or anything else and rehab was right there. Made it easier on his wife too. He went home when he was far more mobile and felt safer with getting around.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Wow! Guess that was a surprise. Follow the doc's instructions and you will be better than ever come spring! Until then, relax and enjoy watching those Bison! They are having quite a year again!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyn & Awm (& all my friends here!)-

Hey...my NDSU Bison were @ Youngstown-State, OH today and won 35-17!! We've now won our MVFC conference OUTRIGHT for 3rd straight year!
    It's the Bison's NINETEENTH-straight win...& SEVENTEETH-straight ROAD win!
    Hopefully if we cruise thru the playoffs, it'll be our 3rd-straight D-1 FCS-Championship matchup in Frisco, TX in early Jan.!!!!!

(highlight-link below if anyone's interested...)

Soooo anyway-
    Might wait til January so I can increase my Disability-benefits. I had been paying for a miniscule amount previously. Then...when THIS diagnosis happened, and the required weeks of rehab, etc., etc., we knew we had to increase the Disability-Insurance end of things!!

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Bison/Youngstown game news/highlights...

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I hope all goes well with your knee, Faron. I heard the announcers talking about your Bison today during the whomping my Longhorns got by Oklahoma State today!

• awm03
    10 years ago

"Hopefully if we cruise thru the playoffs, it'll be our 3rd-straight D-1 FCS-Championship matchup in Frisco, TX in early Jan.!!!!!

I'm psyched!! Are the championships nationally televised? Who are the other strong schools we need to worry about?

Hope you'll have more Bison victories to take your mind off your knee, Faron.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm