Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethpen

Whew! Accepted!

Bethpen
9 years ago

DS has been really excited and involved getting ready for college. His High School experience has been difficult with two serious concussions (one football, one basketball) and then this year's jaw surgery.

Most of the schools he applied to are far from here. We are in Massachusetts and he has applied to Indiana University, Ohio State, Michigan State, University of Kentucky, James Madison and UMass. He had all of the apps in on Nov. 1. He has worked SO hard getting it all together on his own. He did not want help from us, though I think his Journalism teacher helped him with his essays (a lot).

Today he heard he got into Kentucky. Not his first pick, but OMG, it is such a relief. I was so sad at first that he wanted to go so far, but now I am 100% excited for him. As long as he is safe and happy, I'm sure I will eventually be OK. :)

I feel like OSU or Indiana would be better for him...or UMASS for the tuition difference alone. But at least we know he will be at school!

Comments (14)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Congratulations! My feeling though is this will not be his only acceptance letter.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hooray! That must feel so good. how is his jaw doing? That's a lot to add to the stress of sr year!

• mom2girls_2008
    9 years ago

How exciting! I remember that same feeling when my daughters received their first acceptance letter into a college. It finally hit me that they truly were going to go away to college.. it was real! I happened to be out at a gift shop the next day and found a stone plaque engraved with "Wherever you go, go with all your heart". It was perfect!
    Congratulations and best of luck to your son. :)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Hurrah! It's a nice feeling to get a "yes" letter first, isn't it?

My DS is a freshman now at the farthest school he applied to (much closer than the schools you listed, though! -- 5 hour drive from home) and I still find it difficult at times but he is so happy there, it helps knowing he feels so comfortable.

• User
    9 years ago

That first acceptance is golden!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Congrats!! I remember my son's college ap days. I use to travel to Lexington for business, five times a year and loved it. Beautiful area. Go Wildcats! Tomorrow, look at the thoroughbred auction at Keeneland sales, click on live coverage. Held at Keeneland racetrack in Lexington.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Of course he got accepted!! Congratulations--no doubt it is only the "first". It is sooo interesting how IMPORTANT these things seem GPA/SAT scores acceptance/GPA /interview/JOB every step is VITAL at the time--for such a short time. Once a student accepts a college the GPA and test score mean NOTHING and so on through the list..all that pressure and once the first job is begun, well it feels like a not of ANGST for nothing really. Reality is most will move forward and land on their feet. Enjoy the ride don't let the STRESS overtake. It all goes too too fast.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Arcy, so interesting about the grades/GPA becoming a non issue once they go to college. Mine has been in college for just over 2 months and as for grades, I've heard about exactly two. And they were just two that DS happened to tell me about (because one was very high and one...not so much). I just have to assume he's doing fine and I'm sure he is. Still curious to see the actual grades at the end of the semester, though!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Great news---woo hoo! DD went to OSU---loved, loved, loved it. It's a huge school but doesn't feel like it. And they were great when their off-campus house had a fire---really helped the girls find housing in short order. I can't say enough good things about OSU. And of course, since he is into football, the Buckeye fans are hard to beat!

DD graduated in 2008 with a degree in Health Information Mgmt. She interned at the OSU Med Center junior/senior year. She moved back home and worked at NIH for 9 months, then got offered a job back at the Med Center. She worked there for 4 years and basically got her MHA for free. She is now working as a consultant for a small company, still living in Columbus. She's pretty happy there still, but it's becoming a little more difficult socially as her friends marry and/or move away. She has a better standard of living there--can afford her own nice apartment....she'd have to have roomates if she lived here(DC area) so she's torn about moving back.

DS got into Indiana but not the special program he wanted so went elsewhere. I think it would have been his first choice....another great school and campus/college town.

Can't wait to see where your son lands....it's an exciting time!

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joanie, I remember you telling me about your daughter loving OSU. I secretly hope that's where he lands, but we will see I guess. All I really want is for him to be happy. It's been a tough four years for him.

Mtn, thanks for asking about his jaw. He's doing GREAT. The surgery was tough, the first week at home after the surgery was brutal, but we got through it. Every week it seems like the swelling goes down and he looks more and more like himself. He lost 37 pounds in the six weeks. He's a big kid, and he'd gained quite a bit in the weeks before the surgery. Of course senior photos were due at school Oct.31. We waited as long as possible to have them done, then the photographer needed time to retouch them. Of course I was screeching into the school parking lot with the flash drive at the last possible moment. There was a little angst, he wasn't really happy with any of them, but we thought he looked good. This week he was saying he finally feels like his teeth "fit" together right.

Hoping for some more good news soon. It's just the big relief of the first letter coming in. I can't even think about the fall and him leaving. We are very close, I'll be heartbroken when he goes.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

That is so exciting! That first letter is always such a relief. Congrats to your son.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Bethpen,
    I'm so glad he has had such a good outcome with the surgery. And just think it'll be all behind him when he starts with a fresh slate in college. I can only imagine your mixed emotions as senior year runs out!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Yay! And congrats on this first acceptance! Keep us posted on what he decides. All great choices and I know you will miss him. So glad the jaw surgery has worked out well. He really has been through a lot, poor guy.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

Another one hoping he gets into OSU! We are a bit biased living in Columbus! DH and I weren't from Columbus but graduated from OSU. My oldest graduated from Fisher Business school and my middle one should graduate in May from the engineering school.

Both love OSU. It's a large campus, but doesn't feel that way. Always something to do and one advantage to its size is they offer just about anything you could imagine you'd want to major in from business to optometry, veterinarian medicine, Agriculture, Dental, PT, it's all in one place.

I saw some pics of IU's campus on Facebook from a friend who's an alumni - it looks like a beautiful campus too! Not the same as OSU, but nice!

Problem with OSU is it's so hard to get into anymore. My youngest son would like to go there, but he doesn't test well, so we'll see how his test scores come out.

Goodluck to your son!