Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Need advice - Baking a cake in a loaf pan

Oakley
13 years ago

I make a killer Red Velvet cake, but this year I'm trying a new recipe which calls for the RV cake mix along with other ingredients not listed on the box.

It's for Thanksgiving.

You bake it in two loaf pans instead of a 9 x 13 cake pan.

I can easily bake sweet breads in a loaf pan and they come out of the pan just fine.

But I'm not sure how long to set the cake loaves on a cooling rack before I get invert them so it won't fall apart. I figure the texture will be a bit more delicate than breads.

I am prepared for failure so I'm getting 2 cake mixes just in case. lol.

The recipe doesn't say how long to cool the cakes before inverting them.

Any ideas?

Comments (15)

• les917
    13 years ago

I would probably do the standard 10 minutes in the pan before inverting. I would also take a table knife and run around all the sides before inverting. Are there ingredients in the recipe that will make the cake denser and less likely to be so soft and crumbly?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This recipe has buttermilk in the cake, so I think it will give it a denser texture, which is the way RV cakes are.

I'll definitely go around it with a knife though. If they do fall apart, I'll just bake a 9x13 and be done with it. lol

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Do you have parchment paper? A lining of PP, greased and floured as the recipe calls for, might make the removal process easier.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

If you make a killer red velvet, that's what I'd go with, not a new recipe, and a loaf at that. Red velvet is best as layers because one of the yummiest parts is the icing!

tina

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I would wait 30 minutes before touching them at all; they'll still be lukewarm
    and should release easily after running the knife around the sides.
    I second the lining with pp or even wax paper on the bottom.

Let us know how they turn out, I'm intrigued by your recipe and I love
    RV cake although I rarely have it. I always look for RV at cupcake shops.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've never used parchment paper for cakes but I have some and I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Do I line the pans with paper hanging over the side so I can pull it out?

Tina, I realize the frosting is good, but with a loaf cake it will still have a lot of frosting, on top and along the sides. And I put it on thick. :) Plus, it's something different and will be pretty to look at..and taste.

For Christmas I'll make my regular RV cake. The recipe won a Blue Ribbon at the OK State Fair! It's a recipe from a friend of mine who is the epitome of a Farmer's Wife who is a great cook. Yum. Now I'm hungry!

Someone get back to me about how much paper to line the pan with. I'll be baking it in the morning.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to ask earlier. Do I spray Pam on the parchment paper?

Also, I never ever flour my pans when baking a cake even though recipes call for it, so I won't be doing that.

• natal
    13 years ago

Parchment paper negates the need to spray with Pam. Why don't you flour your pans? I've occasionally used sugar in place of flour when dusting the pan.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

and cocoa when baking a chocolate cake . . .

• anncarolyn
    13 years ago

Oakleyok,

Any chance you would share your recipe for your "killer RV cake" with us? It sounds wonderful!

• natal
    13 years ago

Oakley, you don't taste the flour. Yes, it's to aid in removal of the cake.

Here is a link that might be useful: this might help

• anncarolyn
    13 years ago

Thank you for the recipe! I intend to try it for Christmas dinner ( maybe before, because it sounds so good!) One question on the pan size - do you use 8" or 9" round pans?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Natal! I'll check out the website. Will make a decision in the next couple of hours when I begin my TG baking!

Ann, I have no idea. I don't think it matters though, you'll just have to check for doneness if you use the bigger pan.

This is a perfect cake for Christmas. I have a cute story about the cake and my SIL. I fixed it one holiday and was serving the cake. Diana took her first bite and said, "Oh my God, oh my God," over and over again. We were all just cracking up! That's how good it is. It has the texture of an old-fashioned bakery cake.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

oakley, what brand is the Red Velvet cake mix, I did not see any at Publix
    this morning when I looked at the section.