Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

done a solo vacation, anyone?

pammyfay
10 years ago

OK, I'm nosy! Where'd you go? Was it someplace you'd always wanted to go, or was it an event destination (like wanting to see whales migrating), or a place that perhaps had the opposite climate you were in?

I'm itching to get out of Dodge for a while, but other than NYC (where I have nephews), I'm not hitting on that "WOW!" destination. So many suggestions from friends are ending up like this: beach=no; national parks=no.

I'm tired of the job (but still gotta keep it!) and just need someplace to decompress but not just hunker down in a cabin somewhere (altho, maybe that's EXACTLY what I need?!), And I need to get a reservation down in the office vacation book so I have something to look forward to!

Throw out some suggestions for me!

Comments (20)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I have only done solo vacations at the tale-end of business trips, when I was single. They included Paris, Venice, Rome and Mombasa of all places. But I would not actually recommend any of them solo, frankly. Which brings to mind, do you mean vacations that start solo or start and end solo? : )

Anyway, if it were me, I would go to a Canyon Ranch. Pampering, self actualization, lovely setting, and many other solo travelers. Or some sort of excursion that involves learning or volunteering.

• User
    10 years ago

I have done a lot of them long weekends and some longer. I always have an outdoorsy theme though so I don't think any of them would appeal to you ....but state parks are a great and inexpensive way to get away. Most have cabins as well as campsites. Think fireplaces and wood on site already cut and very good prices and many have lodges so you can eat out if you wish or cook in. Where ever you are located you will find them so there is no shortage of options. I have done so many and always have a great time. Good Luck and most of all...have a restful and fun time. c

• jmc01
    10 years ago

I have done many trips to London solo, one to Paris, one to Madrid. In London, I always do 2 London Walks tours per day and am usually able to hook up with someone from the morning tour for lunch. Paris Walks are great, in English and offer the same opportunities for lunch partners. In London, buy theater tix for the evenings. Madrid, I plotted out my own tour. I have absolutely enjoyed all solo traveling.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I rented a cabin on a like in New Hampshire for a week by myself, and I go to Cape Cod solo every year, although I made a friend there so I see her whenI go.

I also tacked solo days onto business trips. I drove Big Sur solo and stayed at Asilomar. All over Florida. I went to Syracuse NY and Ithaca and Corning alone just to visit old haunts.

Just pick a spot and go.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I love to vacation in large cities when I'm on my own. There's so much to do and see or you can just enjoy a fine hotel's room service and watch the lights twinkle outside. I like cities with good mass transit so that I don't have to rent a car. My favorites are San Francisco, Manhattan, Toronto, Paris and London.

On the other hand, I like visiting interesting areas like Newport, Rhode Island, Napa or Sonoma, California, or the hill country of Texas. Those vacations take a bit more planning, though, at least for me.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I have only gone to one place alone, for 1-2 nights: the Cliff House in Ogunquit, Maine. I love being able to walk around town on my own, shop, snack, get spa treatments at the hotel, and just sit in the room looking out at the ocean. However, the last time I was there, I found my room to be a bit tired, worn out (kinda like me).

I'm curious about the Wentworth By The Sea near Portsmouth, NH.

My dream "alone" vacation is Canyon Ranch. I'm hoping DH will give me a trip there for my big birthday next year!

I guess it depends on what you like and when you're going. And of course how much you want to spend. One of my all time favorite vacation experiences was at the Four Seasons in Nevis. Or Geneva, Switzerland. I also would love to go to the Woodstock Inn in VT, which I've only driven by, but have heard good things and the area is just so quaint.

Burlington VT is a great city too, but if you're planning a trip soon, that's probably not ideal. I'd go there in the summer or early fall.

I love Captiva Island, too. But are you saying you don't want a beach vacation? Also on my wish list are Charlston and Savannah. Not necessarily alone, though.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I would love to take a solo vacation! I would want to be in a big city with lots to see and do. I like the idea of meeting people on a walking tour. I have traveled alone to meet up with my son in Europe and Korea, but haven't spent a lot of time at my destination alone. I did have a lot of fun on my day alone taking the train and spending the night in Seoul. I think that it would be important for me to plan a few activities/tours where I could interact with other travelers.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

I have! Canyon ranch twice: once in Tuscon and once in Lenox. Highly recommend either location. I've also been to Silverton Co solo. This was not intended to be solo, but my husband, fiance at the time, was travelling from a different location. We were to meet at the inn, but the pass closed after I crossed and my husband was unable to reach Silverton for our planned 4 day vacation. I had a blast. I've also spent a few days in boston, new orleans, london, berlin, Munich, Rome and Dublin. The cities can be fun alone as I love being able to cater my trip only to my whims. However, I think they are better with soneone. I prefer a sports adventure or spa week packed with Pilates swimming hiking meditation or even a photography class etc.

• camlan
    10 years ago

Well, why not go to New York if that's what's setting off the "Wow!" factor? It's a big city, you could easily go and spend a week and never run into your nephews. Or go and meet up with them just for one dinner or lunch. It might be fun.

Or if it's the big city-ness that's attracting you, how about Boston or Chicago or Philadelphia or Seattle or LA or Montreal or Quebec or Vancouver? It sounds as if you'd like to be out and about and doing things, and there are many places that will allow you to do that.

Because I know Boston best--there's shopping on Newbury and Boylston Streets, the Museum of Fine Arts plus several smaller art museums, history all over the place, a good aquarium, hockey and basketball are currently in season, lots of good restaurants. The Boston Pops Christmas concerts will start soon, and there are several theaters that will be open with musicals and Christmas shows, as well as the Nutcracker.

So my suggestion is that if NYC is attracting you but you don't want to go there, look at other big cities that might have something you like.

• sis3
    10 years ago

I did a lot of international solo traveling with my job but have only had one solo vacation. I took a week sail training around the Canary Islands on a racing yacht. It was wonderful. We never moored in the same harbor twice, sometimes sailed and ate dinner under the stars, swam in crystal water with pilot whales. We were 10 strangers, a very mixed group, when we met but by the end of the week we were a team, and friends. Of course we had a lot of fun and laughter along the way. Wonderful memories!

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I have done a couple-to spas to decompress. Once was when I was grieving over a child's illness and choices, and once when I turned 50. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Sedona would be the ideal place to veg out, if the weather isn't too hot or too cold. At the moment it's in the 50's, but with the sun shining, that' could be considered ideal. Sitting in the room after having room service deliver my dinner and looking at a beautiful sunset is my way of relaxing. Getting up to the same sunrise is hard to beat~how could you not be relaxed?

Here's a link.......,

Here is a link that might be useful: Sedona

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Where are you located and how far do you want to go?

• pammyfay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mmm... nice: "Sitting in the room after having room service deliver my dinner and looking at a beautiful sunset is my way of relaxing."

Maybe a little far, but I will have to look at that option!

Joanie: I'm in Northern Virginia. How far to go? I would go as far as the West Coast, but don't want to go overseas (because of the extra travel time --would rather that time be spent at the location).

Camlan: Have no problem spending time with the nephews -- on the contrary! They always make me laugh. (Until I get the dinner bill!)

A few more details about me: Lived in Miami Beach, so I kinda got my beach fill there; Visited Sanibel -- is it basically the same as Captiva?; lived in Chicago, still love it -- looked quickly at New Year's week for a quick getaway, but really expensive (had I thought about that a few months ago, that would've been among the top choices); also have a niece in Boston, and the last time I was in Boston for more than a day, I was in either junior high or high school! But I think I'd want it to be during warmer weather. I do want to go to the aquarium there and maybe a day trip back to Cape Cod and go on one of the dolphin-searching boats I was on years ago.

Haven't been to San Francisco -- does anybody have any rec's for someplace that's a cross between a hotel and a more relaxing veg-out "inn"? I know there are bed-and-breakfasts there, but the quality and experience would probably be wasted on me.

(Hmm. I guess there are a few nice options on my list!)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Pammy,

How soon are you planning to go? Have you done San Fran and Napa?

SueB,
    We picked the same place. One of these days we are going to have to do lunch. Oh and you want to go to Bermuda AND Canyon Ranch for your 30th?

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Yes. Is that a problem? :-)

I love San Fran! We stayed at large hotels both times we visited -- last time at the Fairmont, which is great if you like walking uphill.

Another vote for Sedona, too. We went for the first time in June, and I can't wait to go back.

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

Pammyfay, I was going to suggest San Francisco and then I saw you've never been! You must go...must...must must. It is my favorite big city in the US and because I lived in Los Angeles it was an easy flight back and forth so I think I've been there 30 or 40 times in my very long life so far of 65 years.

There are a lot of boutique hotels in SF. I haven't stayed in any of them but I am certain you can find recommendations.

As far as traveling solo, YES (sorry for yelling, but I am excited) I love traveling solo. ((In fact, my last solo was to SF). Many times my SO couldn't get away so I just went. My next solo is Seattle for the day to see the Chihuly Gardens and then I have a trip planned to Paris for a week (my all time favorite city). However, the Paris trip is dependent on the health of my 18 year old cat.

SueB, your husband sounds just like mine and I am willing to bet you will get your Canyon Ranch vacation (I vote for Lenox). Also I've stayed at the Woodstock Inn many times and loved it and the village of Woodstock. In fact, we looked for real estate to buy in the area, but couldn't find what were looking for. I haven't been in many years, but it should still be very nice.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Suggestion #2.......

I've never gone solo, but if I decided that's something I wanted to do, it would definitely include a small boutique hotel, rather than a larger one. Myself and 3DD's stayed at The Chesterfield in Palm Beach last spring, and I could see myself going back, solo. With taxi service provided by the hotel, the beach only 3 blocks away, great food AND shopping(Worth Av.), why not? Have you considered FL?

• golddust
    10 years ago

I flew into Baltimore, hopped a train to Philadelphia, spent some time there before heading to NYC. I had a blast and met so many interesting people whom I would never have met if traveling with a companion.

It has been years... I wanted to see the devastation after 9/11. I flew there in February, 5 months after the tragedy. I had a long chat with someone from Home Security and shared lunch with a person who was in NYC, working on the design that would replace The Towers. Now I need to go see the result.

Traveling alone can be fun. You can do exactly what you want to do. Eat what you want to eat without compromise.

• pammyfay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pattycakes: I'm a bit Florida-d out, having living in Miami Beach, gone back several times to stay with an aunt (first in N. Miami Beach and then farther up slightly), so every time I went to visit, I rented a car for shopping excursions -- West Palm, Boca, art deco festival in South Beach, the Coconut Grove arts festival -- loved those things, And I've visited Sarasota to spend time with a cousin. Museums, art shows, relaxing. (And when my sister got a winter place in Boynton, I didn't go to visit -- just lost my love for Florida! Now she's renting it out.)

Golddust: You are right about this -- "Traveling alone can be fun. You can do exactly what you want to do. Eat what you want to eat without compromise."!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH