Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Suggestions for Good Online Catalog Food Gifts???

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

My parents, BIL & SIL and a few friends are people we now like to send consumable gifts to for Christmas.

I'd love to hear if you have any good online food/meal catalogs you'd recommend . . . or any you would NOT recommend (LOL!).

In past years, we've sent gifts from Wolfermans and Kansas City Steaks. We were given a gift certificate last Christmas to Simply Lobsters, and their food was wonderful, too. I can recommend all three of them, but am hoping to find others we can check out.

Has anyone ever ordered from Mackenzie? I just received a catalog from them and their food looks great, although a bit pricey.

Thanks very much for any and all ideas!

Lynn

Comments (30)

• natal
    12 years ago

What a treat to get a gift from Simply Lobsters! What do you give from Wolfermans? We've received gifts of their English muffins the past two years. If we get 'em again they're going to the food bank.

Last year I sent chocolates from DeBrand. My mom had sent us some years ago. I know dh ate most of them, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: DeBrand Chocolates

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

I worked for PB for several years and ordered some of the food gifts from Williams Sonoma for my friend Rick and he loved them. The cheeses were a really big hit, especially the Stilton. I've also had the lobster pies and the croissants were yummy.

That said, I ordered them with the discount. I'm not sure they are as impressive at full price!

Beth P.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

I would love to receive a gift box from Penzey's spices. They have multiple ones available and may even have a design your own. They are often packed with some loose bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, etc and I find their pricing very reasonable. I have given them as gifts and will likely do so again.

I grew up in the area of Harry and David. Most of their products are very, very good (like the chocolate covered blueberries, yummm) but their pricing has gone up quite a bit over the years.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I have to recommend Harry & David, as I currently live where they are headquartered, and they are a huge part of our local economy. Plus they have some pretty good food gifts. They also own Wolfermans now.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I've used Harry & David also, and have never had complaints. ;o)

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

This place makes the best fudge. We found the store on a trip to Oregon a few years ago. I've since had their fudge sent to me. No website. Just call and order.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-wheel-general-store-bandon

This is a store near me that makes excellent scones. I've been told she supplies Williams Sonoma. She sells them freshly baked at the shop, but we usually buy them frozen and bake them at home. One small pack costs about $17 or so but it makes 8 nice sized scones. The package of dough is scored so you can cook half at a time. The packs are nicely wrapped and I've even given them as hostess gifts. We usually get the apricot/cherry, but they're all very good. They're not dry like most scones. I don't know how much shipping would be, because she ships them frozen. No website that I could find.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/j-scones-doylestown

My friend recommended these cookies to me. She's a nurse and sends them to the doctors she works with. I ordered some recently for a sick friend and he raved about them. I'm going to order some to check them out for Christmas gifts I have to send. I'm having trouble getting multiple links to show up right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookies by Diane

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Crumbs.com makes excellent cupcakes! You can't beat KC steaks for meals though. I order from them about once a year for thoses busy days.

There's also See's Candy online. They sell every type of candy or you can tell them exactly what you want in a box and they'll ship it to the recipient. Chocolate covered butter creams are my favorite. :)

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanak for all the great suggestions!

Natal: yes, it was a very memorable, special gift that we truly enjoyed. From Wolfermans, we usually send breakfast gift baskets that include bacon, tea breads, muffins and jam. One friend I send those to has an apartment in a retirement village. They serve dinners in their dining room but she's on her own for breakfast and lunch. The breakfast baskets give her a little fun reprieve from cooking breakfasts for a few days.

I'm off to check out the online sites for those that have them. Thanks again!
    Lynn

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

I've ordered coffee for friends at Christmas from New Mexico Pinon Coffee and it was a big hit. Yummy stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: NM Pinon Coffee

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Dancing Deer cookies are soo good. I have only bought them locally for myself (as a treat, not often!) but have sent them to family members at the holidays. Also, Lake Champlain Chocolates fromn VT.

• goldengirl327
    12 years ago

Edible Arrangements has a nice assortment of fresh fruit arrangements and they add a festive touch to the holidays. In addition to their arrangements, they also have a wonderful selection of dipped strawberries. We've ordered from them a few times and have never had a problem.

We have also sent and received gifts from Harry and David and were pleased with the quality and freshness.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Sue, what have you bought at Dancing Deer Cookies? I'm very tempted by their shortbread cookies!

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Oh, well I'm impetuous and went ahead and ordered the assortment linked below for someone as a holiday treat. At 40% off, I couldn't resist! Thanks, Sue!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dancing Deer Goodies

• yborgal
    12 years ago

If anyone is interested in EVOO's and Flavored Balsamic Vinegars please email me. I have a source that offers over 50 flavors and each is equally delicious.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I just remembered, this place was on Oprah's Favorite Things list years ago. Maybe I'll try it this year...

Here is a link that might be useful: Garrett Popcorn

• User
    12 years ago

Another fan of Harry & David, especially the fruit. I use them whenever I need to send food gift. Unfortunately, I usually use them when someone dies (we're Jewish and don't send flowers for deaths), but I've also used them for thank you gifts.

I didn't know Crumbs ships! There is a shop a block from my office in NYC. It is VERY VERY dangerous when I have to walk by there EVERY DAY on my way home. Their cupcakes are to die for!

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Aunt Jen, the only cookies I've had myself are the sugar lime and chocolate tangerine (which I'm not even sure they have any more). Oh, and the molasses cookies. All SO good. Hope you're happy with your choice!

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yikes, they all sound so yummy . . . thank you!! I'm off to check out these latest suggestions.
    Lynn

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

If you are a fudge lover, this is the best i've ever had!!

Here is a link that might be useful: yummy!

• deegw
    12 years ago

I second Williams Somona. Their croissants are sinful. Haven't tried any other items.

Gilt Taste also has some neat things but the vendors vary so I'm sure some things are not as good as others. It's one of those high end flash sale websites where you sign up and then get to see the daily sales. Along with daily flash sales they also keep some things on their website until they sell out.

Their non food sales are fun too. Yesterday they had a crazy Kate Spade sale.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

We order Crumbs for DH's birthday (arriving next week!) and for our anniversary. Even with the shipping, it's far cheaper than travelling to NYC, LOL.

• CaroleOH
    12 years ago

Love Cheryl's Cookies - especially the cutout ones. I've ordered Omaha Steaks for my FIL, but may try Kansas City this year.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i love getting english muffins from wolferman's, fruit from 'the fruit company', and cheese from crowley cheese in vt.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Cora Lee Candies of Glenview, IL - north of Chicago - mails out its English Toffee. It is to die for!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cora Lee Candies

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

Have both ordered and received from Dean and DeLuca. The website can be a bit finicky, but it's fun to fill the gift sacks, baskets, or boxes of your choice with individual items that you compile. Alternatively, you can have one of their prefab gifts sent.

Here is a link that might be useful: See gift baskets

• dawnp
    12 years ago

I second Cheryl's cookies! I order gifts from them all the time. The sugar cutout cookies are just amazing. They are very friendly and helpful there too!.

• amylville
    12 years ago

I will second Garrett popcorn. I live in Chicago and have waited in line over an hour for the caramel crisp popcorn. Also witnessed a near riot at Christmas when someone tried to buy all the available caramel crisp in the store

• Jody
    12 years ago

Cherry Republic (Glen Arbor, MI) has wonderful food gifts. They have all products containing Traverse City cherries .... and everything is absolutely delicious!!!

Their Cherry Salsa is EXCELLENT. I have bought it by the case and have seen others do that also. They have cherry chocolates, pretzels, granola, peanut butter, etc., etc., etc.

AND, if, you visit one of their stores, they are very generous with their samples ... oh, and they have fun clothes too.

jody

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Republic

• kellyeng
    12 years ago

Williams-Sonoma is having a sale (today only) on their pastries. Discount code is: PASTRYSALE

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

For years I was gifted this chocolate coated, almond covered toffee at xmas, from Enstrom,
    it's really amazing.

I would crush some of it to use as ice cream topping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enstrom toffee

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022