Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Christmas dinner ideas

deegw
9 years ago

I've done prime rib for years and I am tired of it. I'd like to do something fresh and light but I need to placate the members of the family that expect a meat, starch and veg. Grampa can't do spicy. DD is a vegan. The meal doesn't have to be totally vegan but I do want to be able to serve some of the meal to DD. I am drawing a complete blank. Will you help me brainstorm?

Comments (48)

• allison0704
    9 years ago

One GW recipe everyone in my family loves is Tori Spelling's Green Bean bundles. You can Google recipe.

Another one was a pear salad with skillet pecans and honey balsamic dressing:

Pear Salad
    Mixed baby greens (I use the 1/2 Spring & 1/2 baby spinach mix) â¨Add craisins, sunflower seeds (opt.), thinly sliced red onion, cheese (I use either goat cheese or mango-ginger stilton cheese...more crumbly than a goat cheese, but maybe not available in all stores. Blue cheese would be good too. Add pecans as per recipe below
    For the pears, I just slice them and either throw in oven for @ 5-7 minutes (sprinkle a little br. sugar), but lately I've just been slicing and throwing in a frying pan for a few minutes (a dab of butter to pan, add pears and a sprinkle of brown sugar) (10 people = 4 pears)
    Prep the pears just before serving the salad so they're warm when added to salad. (if 6 people, I usually use 3 pears)
    In a skillet:
    PECANS-these can be prepped beforehand and stored in an airtight container: â¨1 cup pecan halves â¨1/4 cup brown sugar â¨1 Tbsp olive oil â¨1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar â¨In a skillet,mix the oil, vinegar and sugar and stir for @ 3 minutes until sugar dissolves. Add the pecans and toss to coat. Stir/cook for @ 5-7 minutes (watch closely as can burn quite easily). When done, place on parchment paper to cool.
    HONEY BALSAMIC DRESSING (From All Recipes): â¨1/2 cup balsamic vinegar â¨1 small onion, chopped (I use only 1/2) â¨1 tablespoon soy sauce â¨3 tablespoons honey â¨1 tablespoon white sugar â¨2 cloves garlic, minced â¨1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes â¨2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Place the vinegar, onion, soy sauce, honey, sugar, garlic, and red pepper flakes into a blender. Puree on high, gradually adding the olive oil. Continue pureeing 2 minutes, or until thick.

• bpath
    9 years ago

That pear salad sounds wonderful, can I hijack it for my dinner?

We are doing a pork roast (flaeskesteg in Danish) with a twist: jalapeño jelly rubbed on it when it goes,into the oven. Foil in the pan, because the sugar in the jelly is imPOSSible to clean off of a pan don't ask me how I know this.

Red cabbage. Sautéed green beans with nutmeg. A small turkey breast for some of my guests who do not eat pork. Hmm, can I use the jalapeño jelly on that, too, do ya think?

I usually let someone else bring the starch,,whatever they want, I always hope for scalloped potatoes! But a rice with nuts like almonds in it is good. And I could eat lentil rice pilaf anytime.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Butternut squash lasagna, with nutmeg in the butternut squash. It is SOOOOOOOO delicious. Flank steak with blue cheese cream sauce.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Of course! I got it from a GW thread a few years ago.

Also got this one from same thread. It is very good as well.

Autumn Pork Tenderloin
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/autumn-pork-tenderloin/detail.aspx
    Prep time 5 minutes, Cook time 40 min
    Ingredients
    ⢠1/2 teaspoon salt
    ⢠1/4 teaspoon pepper
    ⢠1 (3/4 pound) pork tenderloin
    ⢠1/2 cup apple juice
    ⢠1 cup apple pie filling
    ⢠1/4 cup raisins
    ⢠1/4 cup chopped pecans
    ⢠1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

1. Rub salt and pepper over pork. Place in a large resealable plastic bag; add apple juice. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
    2. Drain and discard apple juice. Place pork on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine the pie filling, raisins, pecans and cinnamon; spoon over pork. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

10 servings

Ingredients
    ⢠2-1/2 teaspoons salt
    ⢠1-1/4 teaspoons pepper
    ⢠5 (3/4 pound) pork tenderloin
    ⢠2-1/2 cups apple juice
    ⢠5 cups apple pie filling
    ⢠1-1/4 cups raisins
    ⢠1-1/4 cups chopped pecans
    ⢠1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Absolutely delicious. I substituted homemade apple pie filling for canned, and added walnuts and dried cranberries to the mixture. The pork came out incredibly moist and flavorful.

one lady added more cinnamon and added brown sugar.

Can marinate in apple sauce instead of juice, for an hour.

Instead of pie filling, use 3 apples, applesauce and cinnamon. She cooked 1/2 time w/o sauce, then smothered it on.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

The same year, I did these two also. Will post twice since they are photographs of recipes I saw in a magazine.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Also delicious (not sure why it's sideways when it was upright on my laptop)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

One of my favorite Holiday meals is turkey roulade. I use both turkey breasts boned and butterflied and thighs/legs/quarters that I bone myself and then stuff and roll. I like it because it can be prepared ahead and doesn't take long to bake. Easy and beautiful to serve. You can use any stuffing you like - I vary mine. I've linked to an Epicurious recipe. It won't suit your vegan, of course, but hopefully your sides will. Or you could also make a roll of seitan and stuff it with vegan stuffing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey Roulade

• ismellbbq
    9 years ago

Our Normal Christmas dinner is shrimp and grits with red eye gravy, braised Brussels sprouts, parsnip purée, and roasted garlic over fresh bread. Fantastic stuff!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

We'll have a traditional turkey dinner on Christmas Day, but on Christmas Eve we will have a beef tenderloin (departure from usual standing rib roast) wild rice, stuffed tomatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and vinaigrette (the last SIL's delicious recipe) and buche de Noel.

We'll have ten staying three days....that is a LOT of meals. I'm already planning!

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Last year our favorite pizza place in our old hometown started offering frozen pizzas. We decided to do pizza and salad (with the pizza restaurant's special dressing) for Christmas as a surprise for our (grown) kids. It went over so well, and was so relaxed, that we're doing it again this year. We brought home 10 frozen pies and 4 bottles of dressing today! We do have a more traditional meal on Christmas Eve but I'm willing to bet the pizza will be the star once again this year ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

No idea if this helps, but I am working on an eclectic menu as follows, so far (always with crudites and fruit as well, probably breads too)

1 ham
    2 scalloped potato cups (look like muffins almost)
    3 roasted chicken
    4 warm lentil salad with grapes and feta and mint
    5 deconstructed caesar salad (so it won't get soggy) with homemade dressing, homemade croutons, and parmesan lace

• sochi
    9 years ago

Mtn, that warm lentil salad sounds fabulous. Found a recipe from Veg Times, is that the one you use?

A friend made me potato cups last weekend, was fantastic.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Mtn,
    6 Geese a-laying?
    :)
    Everyone's menus do sound great.
    We usually do 2 or 3 kinds of soup.

M.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Last year I made roast pork in the crock pot with cranberries...delish easy tender and saves lots of oven space.

I made a mac 'n' cheese for the vegetarians in the family. (Will vegans eat that?)

Then all the sides... mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rutabagas, green beans and carrots, tossed salad, and for fun, because it had been so long, I made a lime jello mold with sour cream and pineapple that went really fast!

I'm always reminded of my conversation with a fellow at work many years ago. He was saying his wife goes all out ...always has a ham and a turkey for xmas dinner, and I asked, which are you?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

We made chestnut/fennel/apple soup this year, it was fabulous!

Serves 12
    Ingredients
    4 Tbsp butter
    1 cup chopped onion (about one medium onion)
    1 cup chopped celery (about 2 large ribs)
    4 cups chopped fennel (about 2 large bulbs)
    Salt
    Pepper
    2 good cooking apples (Fuji. Jonagold, Jonathan, Golden delicious, or Braeburn would be good, do NOT use red delicious), peeled, cored, and chopped
    2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme (or a teaspoon of dried)
    15 to 16 ounces of peeled roasted chestnuts (jarred is best), chopped (do NOT use water chestnuts)
    4 cups chicken stock (low sodium)
    3 cups water
    1 to 2 Tbsp of Pernod or Ricard pastis (optional) I used sherry
    2 or 3 Tbsp of sour cream (more or less to taste)
    Sprigs of fennel fronds for garnish

don't skip pureeing, that makes the difference
    Read more: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chestnut_and_fennel_soup/#ixzz3KeXmRxEx

How about duck? or a seafood dish, maybe Paella?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Sochi, yes, it is!

Allison, the salad with warm pears sounds yummy. Reminds me of one I make with roasted apples. I dice apples in a large dice, toss in oj and roast in the oven in a non stick pan ... when soft and golden, I take them out and add them to a tossed salad with a blue cheese dressing. Yum

• deegw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone have a "pretty" salmon recipe? I usually just throw it on the grill. If I baked a large piece of salmon with a colorful tasty topping I think it would be special enough to satisfy everyone (except the vegan).

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

One of my absolute favorite flavor combinations is beef and blue cheese or Gorgonzola, along with spinach. I think it's also a very Christmasy flavor.

Speaking of which, has anyone else discovered Cambozola cheese? Roche Bros. here sells it. It is positively to die for. Presumably a hybrid of Camambert and Gorgonzola. I break little bits into my green salads, and with an oil and vinegar dressing, homemade or Ken's Italian, it is unbelievably delicious.

It would also be good on crackers as an appetizer.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Salmon, and various seafood is my favorite non meat meal and what I would do. We often have shrimp scampi for Christmas dinner. Everyone is so tired of the other stuff.
    I like salmon grilled best alhough the baked or poached is prettier!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Deee, How about salmon en papillote with juilenned veggies? Kind of a show stopper. Or in a salt crust igloo, for the season. Or poached with cucumber "scales"?

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Never turkey here as we're usually tired of that after Thanksgiving dinner(s).

We are not a seafood family. LOL No vegetarians or vegans either, so that makes things easier.

Allison, the pork tenderloin sounds delish. I make a balsamic tenderloin that we love so I will have to try your recipe. We like green bean bundles also.

So far our menu will be:

honey glazed ham (I buy from a wonderful ham and goody shop in the city)
    some type potatoes (of course LOL)
    pineapple casserole
    fresh green beans (thankfully we can still get fresh green beans this time of year - I bought some yesterday!)
    corn pudding
    deviled eggs
    some type salad TBD
    rolls/bread TBD
    dessert TBD

We are hosting, but my sister will bring a couple of dishes. We are pretty traditional and I try to incorporate all the favorites!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

We usually do a pork tenderloin of some sort so I'm totally stealing your recipe, Allison. We also do our favorite Potatoes Anna, which is really just thin sliced potatoes layered with loads of butter in an iron skillet with some kosher salt. They turn out really nice, crispy and pretty sliced in wedges. And a salad most likely. For dessert our usual is creme brulee which my DD has perfected. I can do it too but don't tell her. She loves to do it.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

For salmon, I like Ina Garten's Salmon with herbs. The blanket of herbs on top is fragrant and colorful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

Mmmm, I'm getting hungry reading this thread!

Not that mine are suggestions for you, but we always have fresh ravioli on Christmas Eve. The tradition started when I was in college across the street from Little Italy. When my father came to pick me up (I lived 4 hours from college), we always stopped in Little Italy for fresh ravioli and cannoli to bring home to MD. After I left NYC seven years later, we discovered a little shop in Little Italy in Baltimore to continue the tradition. Then dh decided he wanted to make his own ravioli, so we bought all the necessary gadgets and now he and the kids make it the weekend before Christmas. So delicious and a very quick and easy meal to prepare as we go to 9pm Mass on Christmas Eve and have to leave the house by 7:30.

For Christmas Day, my father typically cooks an Italian feast. We never have turkey or hamâ¦it's usually something like veal scallopine or some sort of chicken dish. I think one year we had braciole. Years and years ago before we had the ravioli tradition, he occasionally made homemade (pasta and all) manicotti and cannelloni. My parents are hosting again this year, but I'm not sure what's on the menu. He often will find a couple of interesting recipes, then email me, my brother and sister for opinions. Fortunately, we are all pretty laid back and easily agree.

That salmon above looks delicious. I'm going to have to try that as we love salmon and like trying different recipes. Our fall back recipe, that my kids love, is just grilled salmon rubbed with olive oil and a brown sugar topping (it has spices in it, but can't recall offhand). Mtnroad's suggestion sounds good too especially if looking for something elegant.

Now I'm wishing I was hosting. Maybe I'll use one of these ideas for New Years.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

That sounds wonderful, Mtn. I will try that soon!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I am usually so exhausted by Christmas Day that I try to keep it simple. For years we did steaks and baked potatoes on the grill (no matter how cold), salad and rolls. I think last year I did a Honey-baked ham and various sides. Christmas Eve I'll do a lasagne, stew...something easy I can make ahead and pop in the oven.

DS is vegan so if I do steaks I buy a Gardein chicken breast for him....he can eat the salad and potatoes. If I do something else like lasagne, I will do a veggie version for him with vegan cheese, etc. and I always have veggie burgers and other vegan things on hand for him.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

We host Christmas Day and dinner at our home every year. We've tried a few different meals over the years, one of them being a prime rib roast, but everyone seems to like our smorgasbord of foods best of all. Most I make ahead of time, but our guests bring along their favorites, as well.

Over the years, along with the regular family and friends, we've hosted my good friend (when she's in town) who is a Jewish rabbi and her family, vegans, vegetarians, gluten-intolerants and just plain picky eaters. Between them all, everyone is satisfied.

Our usual Christmas Day Dinner, which we all call "The Feast": spiral-cut ham, boiled, peeled jumbo shrimp with cocktail sauce; Swedish meatballs; my bf's delicious crescent rolls; twice-baked potatoes or my potato casserole; a cheese platter; veggie platter with several kinds of hummus; fruit platter w yogurt lime dip; 7-layer dip to also go with the veggie platter; Natal's Chile Spiced Pecans; green chile and cream cheese roll-ups (a New Mexican appetizer); tamales with red chile sauce; Caesar or Waldorf salad; usually a spinach & artichoke dip; a baked Brie with cranberries; my cranberry-orange compote; hot mulled cider, wines, coffee, tea, etc. For dessert, I usually make an English Trifle and our beloved biscochito cookies. Others bring Christmas cookies, candy, etc.

It sounds like a lot. Heck, I guess it is a lot, but between it all, everyone eats their fill and goes home satisfied . . . along with plates of leftovers.
    Lynn

• livvyandbella
    9 years ago

mtnrdredux, your scalloped potato cups sound good, would you mind sharing?

• Jamie
    9 years ago

Olychick, that turkey roulade looks wonderful.

I don't have a butcher to ask -- can you tell me what "double butterfly" means? Say I'm shopping at Kroger or the like -- what do I look for? Key words? Brands?

Thanks so much. There is no way I could debone my own and make my own roll. It has to be as easy as buying a pork tenderloin or I will fail.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Livvy,

The recipe for the scalloped potato "muffins" is in the link. Use a good cheddar and grate it fresh; the pre-grated stuff has cellulose filler to prevent clumping.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Scalloped Potatoes in Muffin Tins

• Olychick
    9 years ago

If I can do it, so can you! I taught myself how to do this a hundred years ago - before the internet would have helped. Honestly, I just start at one end of the bone and scrape the meat off until the bones come out. And even tho' the thighs are messy because there are the main bones and tendon/tiny bone thingies in the leg part (if you buy hindquarters instead of thighs...I can't find thighs often) I pound the whole boned piece out, I cut the thicker parts and fold them over any skimpy places and it turns out fine! No matter how pathetic it looks, put some stuffing on one end, roll it up and stick toothpicks to hold it (you leave the skin intact as much as possible) or tie into a roll and bake it skin side up.

The breasts, if they are boneless, I just butterfly them, which is cutting part way through the meat and folding it out so it is a bigger piece. If it's a bone in breast, then I do as I said for the thighs/legs and after the bone is out, I slice through the thickest places, but don't sever them, and lay the still attached out to make a big flat piece, with the skin on the underside. Pound it out a bit, put the filling in, roll it up and proceed. Honestly, it looks like a mess when you are doing it, but it turns out gorgeous.

I often bone a whole turkey, but leave the legs and thighs intact, stuff it and form it back into a traditional turkey shape, then bake it. I still can remember a party long ago where some good friends were mystified, as I sliced through the whole bird, and the bones had seemingly cooked away. It was fun!
    Here is a good tutorial for the breast deboning...you can see that it's not pretty when ready to stuff. I never sever the tenderloins, and pound it all out a bit, but you can see how easy it is. You can do it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boning a turkey breast

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for all the ideas-- Fun2be, I have always loved Ina's recipes but I havent tried the herb coated salmon which looks lovely. I am going to roll that into my holiday week menu.. have you made her baked shrimp scampi? It is one of my favorites!

Mtn those scalloped potato muffins are adorable! I am going to take those to our christmas eve dinner for 20+ -- many of us are watching calories and some are diabetic. It's a very managed way to indulge in a potato-cheese dish! Have you ever substituted sweet potatoes? I am considering doing half sweet and half not. Do you have an inventive way to serve them?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Those potato muffins look delish and easy.

But I had to laugh out loud at this...
    Divide mixture between muffin cups and smooth tops.
    I knew what muffin cups were, but what are smooth tops???

• Jamie
    9 years ago

Olychick, thank you, but isn't there a brand or some magic words I can use to just buy the "double butterflied" breast to start with? I am really not up for all that. I believe many people prepare tenderloin for the simple reason that it's easy, and that's what I want.

Annie, I have some muffin tins that are "just the tops". They form the crown without the stem.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Annie -- pretty sure they mean "smooth the tops" of the muffins.

Those potato cups look delish. My DD made "mashed potato cups" from an online recipe last weekend and they were pretty good (basically mashed potatoes, chives, diced bacon, and cheese -- but it was Parmesan) but seemed to be missing something. I think a different cheese may have helped. Anyway, I'm going to give her your recipe and have her try it! BTW my DD is 13 and is by far the most enthusiastic cook in this house.

I don't enjoy cooking, really. So on Christmas Eve, when it's usually just our immediate family of 5 plus Grandpa, we go out to dinner to a nice restaurant, usually in downtown Boston or Cambridge so we can see the lights and all that.

We have several people who come and go throughout the day on Christmas, so every year I make a variety of "apps" and toss them out on the table for everyone to pick at at various times. We start with a big breakfast -- usually baked french toast plus an egg casserole, and fruit salad. Then our apps might include: shrimp cocktail, fancy cheese and crackers, pigs in blankets (yes, we are fancy folk), crudite, and these little chicken wonton cups that are SO yummy. They're similar to the recipe below but no BBQ sauce. I think my recipe (which came from my neighbor) has 1.5 lbs of cooked, shredded chicken, one large bottle of Ranch dressing, a large bag of shredded cheese, some chili or chipotle powder, and cilantro. It is a HUGE hit at every party. The ingredients sound weird to me, esp the dressing, but these things are amazing. You don't taste the ranch dressing.

Here is a link that might be useful: chicken won ton cups

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Sorry, I just haven't seen turkey breasts sold like that; usually they are in a tray with shrink wrap over them, but if you live near a Whole foods I'd check with them, or ask a butcher who sells turkey parts, they could do it for you.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yes, I know...I got it on the 2nd reading, but when I first read it, I was like between what and what???

jamies, you might ask the butcher at the grocery store. Very often they will bone things or do special cuts for you....can't hurt to ask. Most of the guys at my grocery stores are very accommodating.

• livvyandbella
    9 years ago

Thank you so much! Those potato cups look so good!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Funky art,

No, I haven't. I only made these once, as a test for our party this weekend. They were yummy as is. I added some chives on top just for color.

I have done scalloped potatoes with celery root, a favorite of mine.

There is also a recipe linked that sounds very nice, with sweet potatoes and parsnips!

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe for scalloped root veggies and potatoes

• kkay_md
    9 years ago

Thank you, Olychick, for the recipe for stuffed turkey breast, and for providing the link to instructions on boning the breast. It looks quite easy to do. I think I will make this dish for Christmas Day! I had been stymied over what to prepare for the main dish, and this will be festive and different. Can't wait to try it!

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

OMG, Tibbie . . . Cambozola cheese! I love that cheese, but have had a hard time finding it lately. I'm just heading out grocery shopping in a sec. I'll try looking again while I'm there. Darn, now I'm hungry again, which is never a good thing when you're going grocery shopping!
    Linen

• Olychick
    9 years ago

kkay, that's great that you'll try. Just remember, no matter what a mess it looks like raw, it rolls up and looks very fancy and wonderful once it's cooked and sliced. Report back!

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Our Costco has Cambozola. They were sampling it last week with red pepper jelly on a small rice cracker.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Has NO ONE mentioned Lutefisk?!???!!?

What's wrong with you people? ;-)

Lutefisk & Lefse...AWESOME! Meatballs, Gravy, & Mashed-potato's too of course....num-num!

Faron

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Faron, the Nytimes had a fascinating article about what food items people do Google searches on by state. Interesting how many of them in the West I had never even heard of! Some I can do without, like Snickers salad.

Speaking of salad, two thumbs up for the warm lentil salad I posted about. We had a party last night and that was one of the items. It was excellent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warm lentil salad with grapes, feta and mint

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

That article/map is so interesting, as are the comments per state. I had to Google a few of those though, funeral potatoes?- (lots of canned soup apparently) And I printed out the lentil salad, it does sound really good. Thanks!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Ooo, that salad is calling my name. I'll be making it this week. Thanks.