Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

palimpsest in a sentence!

dedtired
10 years ago

Last night I was lying in bed reading when I came across this sentence:

"By the end of my time in the garage, I've made my way through everything, condensing the palimpsest of Matt's life into a tidy handful of boxes for Zoe to take with her someday."

I nearly fell out of bed.

Comments (19)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Cool!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

so funny. I also came across it recently, but forget where. Pal has re-ignited use of the word, it seems!

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

That is so funny! I came across it too not long ago, wish I could remember where!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It was also in the Pulitzer Prize winning novel "a visit from the goon squad".

I thought you wanted us to sum up what we think of Pal in a sentence. But the effusive praise would make him blush.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I also thought this was a game,

"palimpsest was/is a very valuable and unique contributor to these forums, we miss him "

but I realize it was not !!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha! I am not so clever as to start the Praise of Pal thread. I did think you may think he had been sentenced to a term in prison -- a well decorated prison. A prison built in the Brutalist style of architecture. I never heard the word until I saw his name here.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I thought the same as mtnrdredux. The question I have for the literary types here is whether dedtired's author used it correctly in "palimpsest of":

merriam-webster.com

a very old document on which the original writing has been erased and replaced with new writing

something that has changed over time and shows evidence of that change
    The ancient city is an architectural palimpsest.

something having usually diverse layers or aspects apparent beneath the surface
    Canada ⦠is a palimpsest, an overlay of classes and generations " Margaret Atwood

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would not venture a guess. The book is Mother, Daughter, Me , a memoir by Katie Hafner. Here is her background:

"Katie Hafner is a journalist who writes books and articles about technology and society. She writes for The New York Times on technology and healthcare, and was a contributing editor for Newsweek."

Since she is a journalist and I'm sure her book had an editor, most likely she is correct.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I remember reading it in a line in A Visit From the Goon Squad, too.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Just saw it last night while reading the current issue of National Geographic. "The dust of the Rift Valley is a palimpsest stamped by such footwear".

I am beyond disappointed that now we probably will not get to see the wonderful things he does with his new place.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I saw it not too long in a book as well. It would have been in a murder/mystery as that is what I normally read. I was shocked to see it but also thought it was kinda cool.

I too thought this thread was a way of drawing pal back into our clutches, I mean circle. I miss his ideas and knowledge.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why is he not coming around any more? If I knew his new address I would stalk him as we are both Philadelphians, along with KevinMP (right name?).

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Those who caused his good bye should be ashamed. What a wonderful contributor to the GW flock. Sorry, know this wasn't what you posted, but can't seem to let it go.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

...**If I knew his new address I would stalk him ...**

uh,, maybe that's why he left, ded??!! I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, could be! ;) ;) ;)

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

To answer the question asked by Graywings - yes, it's correct! In fact, IMO that's a very nice use of the word.

I also miss our Pal. I must have read every thread he posted; often I was too intimidated to contribute, though!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

He must have bid adieu while I was away but I have seen him recently pop in and announce he'd emailed someone so he's no gone gone at least. If you see this Pal, please come back. Don't let anyone keep you from posting.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 0:57

• deegw
    10 years ago

I've seen Pal post a few times. For some reason, certain people take offense to his informational posts that many of us enjoy. It's a shame that they can't just scroll past or at least disagree in a gracious manner.

This post was edited by deee on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 6:20

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Deee, some folks think if they don't agree with someone elses opinion the other person is wrong. I look at it as I learning experience. If we were all alike life, and our homes, would be pretty boring. Besides reading others ideas and opinions can allow us to try things we never would have thought of on our own. After all isn't that what these forums are all about?