Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Very late or just in time

mboston_gw
9 years ago

Last year, probably just before Thanksgiving, I went to the post office to get my holiday stamps - 4 sheets. Just after Thanksgiving I started the process of getting the pictures taken for the cards and updating my address list, etc. Then after a couple days I was ready to put the address labels on and add the stamps to the envelopes. Couldn't find the stamps! I tore the house apart, the car too, both numerous times to no avail. I ended up buying more stamps so I could get the cards out on time. I figured I would come across them sometime unless I had dropped the waxed envelope that they put them in at the post office on my way to the car. I really thought that was what had happened.

Fast forward to today. I was in the process of moving a captains bed from one room to the next, actually hubs was doing it but I was supervising and holding the footboard as he was taking it apart. I looked down and laying up against the footboard was the envelope with stamps in it. Imagine that! I am not really surprised as the bed was in my "office" and I used it to put things on, however, I am sure I probably looked as best I could between the footboard and the mattress.

So, now I have Christmas stamps for this year and they are safely in my desk drawer in the yellow tray. Just in case I forget where I put them, you all know where to tell me to look!

BTW, they are forever stamps - still useable!

Comments (10)

• User
    9 years ago

I wasn't sure where this story was going but happy for a happy ending. :)

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

It's always a relief to be able to say "I KNEW this was here somewhere! I guess I'm not crazy after all!"

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Somewhere in this house is a list of names I gathered as candidates for a Board I serve on. I have looked high and low for it I know it will turn up some day, but too late for me to use it. I've been able to remember most of the names, but not all. It is so infuriating when that happens! Glad you found your stamps.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

That's great that you found them - misplacing an item can be ever so annoying.

When that happens here I don't dare mention it to DH - he tries to help but he becomes obsessed trying to find the missing item.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

About the time in your story where you found them I thought to myself "Thank goodness for Forever Stamps"!! Best thing the Post Office ever did!!!

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I never told DH and in fact as I was typing the original message, he came in to tell me sometime and his comment was, " Why do you look so startled?" I was afraid he would read what I was typing and find out I lost them! Hehe!

We bought a new car on New Years Eve and I even called the dealership and asked to speak to whomever was going to be the one to clean up our trade in car and asked him to look for the stamps. I was hoping maybe they fell between the seat and console and that he might find them. He was nice enough to call me back and tell me he found some change if I needed it to buy more stamps!

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by mboston on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 10:04

• bpath
    9 years ago

"So, now I have Christmas stamps for this year and they are safely in my desk drawer in the yellow tray. Just in case I forget where I put them, you all know where to tell me to look!"

When you buy a hat or other clothing from Tilley Endurables, the little "owner's manual" includes the instruction to store the manual in the
    left corner of your bottom dresser drawer. So when you call the company to ask how to wash Venice canal water out of your hat, they can tell you where your instructions are...after they tell you what you want to know.

Thank goodness you are a step ahead for this year, but why not get some more stamps for next year now...before the Forever price goes up again!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I'm glad you found your stamps. We often do that around here - tell someone where we are putting something for safekeeping just in case we forget where we put it.

Years ago we were cleaning up the kitchen because we were having people over dinner. I took all the mail and notices and put it away someplace as I usually do in that situation. The next morning I couldn't find it. I never did find that pile of stuff.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Funny, and I'm glad you found your stamps in time for THIS Christmas! That space at between the mattress and the footboard must be a great catch point. I lost a running sock (one of my favorite socks) in a batch of laundry last week. Looked everywhere for it and finally decided maybe it got sucked down the wash drain somehow. We stripped the bed the other day to wash sheets and the sock fell on the floor at the foot of the bed. Turned out when he dumped the clean laundry on the bed, the sock had fallen in that gap.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I will check out this year's selection of stamps. I try to coordinate the stamps with the cards and stationary that I use for my Christmas letter. I know ... too obsessive.... Plus I still need to get Hannukkah stamps.

Since the bed is a captain's bed, I assumed that they would have gotten caught by the top bed and wouldn't go through to the bottom bed, but they did.