Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

What types of shoes/boots for my wardrobe?

debrak2008
9 years ago

I see a post on boots and need to read that again but it inspired me to ask this.

I'm trying to build a wardrobe after several years of working in very casual jobs and working at home in PJs.

I'm getting a grip on the clothes but the shoes/boots have me perplexed. A friend and I went shopping but she said she was confused as to what exactly I'm looking for. Whatever it is I didn't find it, LOL.

It will be winter soon. Need shoes/boots to wear with dress pants or ponte type pants (not light leggings) but will be durable for walking through a few inches of snow or a little slush. I want something comfortable and with a low or no heel. I also wear jeans a lot. I can't afford lots of different footwear. I wear sneakers a lot all year long because they are comfortable and can deal with light snow. All the shoes and boots I see seem to have high heels.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (21)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Debra, i love Crocs. They are great for rainy weather as they (although they do have leather and cloth now) for the most part are man made materials .

There are styles more for the winter. I go to the store, then usually order online for other colors.

I also like Aerosole. But, they did not have water proof. They recommended spraying them, which is not exactly the same.

Shoe shopping can be hard. You need to make it your mission to hit as many shoe stores and shoe departments as you can.
    But, I think it will be hard to find water proof boots that are also stylist.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

Are you looking for shoes/boots that will both handle snow/slush and look good in the office?

I have LL Bean all weather mocs for a few inches of snow days and Ugg type boots for days when it snows a lot. Then I change into other shoes when I get to work. Would that work for you?

• camlan
    9 years ago

I wear the same LL Bean all weather mocs that rosesstink does on days with just a little snow. They are fine with casual pants in the office.

On days with more snow, I have a pair of waterproof hiking boots that I wear, and then I bring indoor shoes to change into.

For low ankle boots, try Maryland Square. I saw a lot in their last catalog that didn't have high heels.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't really want to have to change shoes for work etc. Last winter we actually didn't get a lot of snow. I won't be trudging through snow drifts its just when there is enough snow on the ground in parking lots or melting snow to be annoying if you had on flats. I think I need a few different pairs. They just opened a Crocs outlet nearby. I always spray waterproofing on my shoes so they don't have to actually be water proof.

I guess I just feel overwhelmed in shoe stores. I keep looking at what people are wearing and the heels are so high! Thats fine once in awhile but not everyday. I will follow up on all your suggestions.

• LanaRoma
    9 years ago

I've had good experience with some European brands. Many European manufacturers, especially German ones, make footwear that is well-suited for snow and rain, and still looks stylish. Those brands are popular in Moscow, where winters are much harsher than in most places in the US. This doesn't apply to most Italian or Spanish brands, though.

European brands to check out in the U.S.:
    - Clarks (British, www.clarksusa.com has a section on waterproof boots);
    - Salamander (Germany);
    - Romika (Germany, more casual than Salamander)
    - Rieker (Switzerland);
    - Gabor (Germany/Austria, more on the dressy side).

In the U.S. these brands tend to be more expensive, but my experience is that they also last a long time. I have dressy leather ankle boots by Salamander that are over 10 years old, and they still look good. I wear them a lot in Oregon rain. Same about my other pair of leather ankle boots made by Rieker, although they are a bit "younger" - about 5 or 6 years old, but I expect them to last for another 5-6 years as well.

Quality leather, solid construction and thick soles are the key. I mostly stay away from the footwear that is all man-made materials. Imitation leather deteriorates faster (cracks or peels). It isn't as comfortable for your feet, either. Natural leather stretches and molds to your foot shape better.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I just bought a pair of these for casual days-- ponte pants, jeans and not-so-dressy dress pants. I LOVE them-- and surprisingly, they make my big size 10 feet look sleek. Unfortunately, the left shoe is MUCH smaller than the right so I need to swap them before I can wear them.

They arent for everyone. A friend saw them online and said they looked like something a librarian would wear LOL.. but check out the video. i think they look fun with a touch of urban chic.

These are rather expensive for run around shoes but I can sure tell the difference between these and my less expensive shoes. That said, there are plenty of brands that carry similar styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Donald Pliner Rave

• amyktexas
    9 years ago

I've had a pair of these Ariat shoes for 10 years. I wear them 4-5 days/week in the winter and they still look great and feel amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ariat Clogs

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sounds like what might work for you are overshoes. Just put them on over whatever shoes/sneakers you're wearing and take them off and fold them up and put them away when you're at work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overshoes

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

What type of work will you be doing and what type of clothes will you be wearing? Will you be on your feet or walking a big part of the day or sitting? Will you be meeting clients and need to dress professionally or semi-professionally? A lot of what is expected in your new job would depend on how you plan to dress. I know you probably have a big investment to make in the clothes already. IMO comfortable shoes are one thing you shouldn't be stingy about. If you are starting with a few basics like black slacks and skirts, a wear-with-all cardigan, blouses or t's, a simple jacket, try wearing one of your work outfits and taking photos of yourself wearing 1-2 of the other outfits and taking them shoe shopping with you. Go when the store isn't very crowded and find a shoe sales person who can help you and will bring out many styles you like or that they can recommend for comfort and style. Walk around the store with this person and pick out at least 4-5 to try that will work with your outfit.

There are some great low-heeled, reasonably priced options available - try looking at Zappos online. They have free shipping both ways so if you know your size pretty well you can order 3-4 pair and return what doesn't work.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Check out Merrell, scroll down the page for boots that would be suitable for an office or casual wear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Merrell Women's Boots

• rilie
    9 years ago

I have the black Born boots shown at the link. I love them.... they look dressy enough to wear with back pants (of course, the pants cover 95% of the boot but the heal & toe so you don't see so much of the straps, etc.) but the 'tongue' also makes them adjustable/loose enough to wear with skinny jeans or leggings tucked in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Born Alamid

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went shopping tonight and tried two different brands of boots, both a little "combat" style and both hurt my feet which I thought was odd. I think I may need to go into a high price range. Rilie, those boots are cool. So you wear pants over them and they lay ok?

I like those ariat clogs and found some local stores that carry them. Funny but they are at a Tractor supply store. Going to check them out.

I just sit all day at work but want comfortable shoes for times I need to walk, like in a mall of if I go somewhere. I don't want to have to change shoes everytime I go somewhere. If you're not from this area it might be hard to understand what I'm talking about. Most people here do not wear winter boots unless they are going skiing, or playing in the snow, etc. Often we just have a little snow on the ground. Not enough for boots but regular dress flats are not high enough off the ground. I'm going to dig out some older booties I have and see if I can have them repaired. They were so comfortable, now if I can find them.....

funnyart, I used to be a librarian! They do look comfortable.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just went to a Clarks store. Fell in love with their shoes for the comfort. Bought the attached shoe. Sorry it would not let me post in the thread. It had to be ordered as they were out of my size. Funny thing is I had to get 1 size smaller than I normally wear. The heel is higher than what I thought I wanted but the shoes are so easy to walk in. I wish they had more of what I was looking for. The price was great too! Only $58.

Here is a link that might be useful: genette arc shoe

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I tend to wear Rockport shoes. We don't get much snow but we do get a lot of rain and they are great for that. They are really comfortable as well.

I like those Clarke shoes you posted.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I wear this Sam Edelman boot with leggings most of the winter. I am trying to attach them in the black as that is what mine are. The picture does them no justice. I love the back zipper and the leather is lovely. Very soft and luxurious feeling for a boot in this price range. The pair I purchased last year still look perfect so I don't need to replace them but I am tempted to in case they discontinue them in a few years.

I also have several pairs of Anne Klein Cuthbert boots that are dressier for dresses and skirts. They have a mid heel but aren't a good choice in the snow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sam Edelman boots

• blfenton
    9 years ago

holly-kay, your link takes you to this thread. You wind up in a never-ending loop.LOL

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh good grief! Thanks BL. The Sam Edelman boots are available from Zappos. They are the Penny model.

I am trying the link again. Sorry about that!

Here is a link that might be useful: try again

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok for those with tall boots (I've never owned a pair) can your pants jeans go over them? Do they look OK? Do you wear them tucked in? Please advise! I see these tall boots everywear but am unsure how to wear them.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Debra, I wear my tall boots that are flats with leggings. I wear tall boots with heels with skirts and dresses. If I am wearing dress trousers I find an ankle boot to be the best. You can wear tall boots under jeans if they are a boot cut jeans. If you wear slim cut jeans the boots would go over top of them. The Anne Klein ankle boot with mid heel is perfect for dress trousers. You could also opt for an ankle boot with a wedge heel.

Here is a link that might be useful: ankle boot for dress trousers

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

Debra - Liking those Clarks shoes. They are one of my favorite brands. I've only bought one pair from them that didn't meet my comfort test. The fit of the brand seems to be all over the place though. A salesperson there told me that Brits have wider heels than we do so often that's a problem. I've found that to be true. I own about six pairs of Clarks but I won't order them online unless there's a free return policy.

• LanaRoma
    9 years ago

Debra: it depends on the style of the high boots. For example, riding boots or cowboy boots are best with tucked-in pants or jeans.

Dressier high boots with heels can be worn under wider leg pants, if the boots fit your calves snugly. It's best if the shafts reach not higher than mid-calf or just above the mid-calf. If the boots go all the way to the knee, they're not so great for wearing under the pants. The top edge might show under the fabric. Same could happen if there are embellishments on the shafts like fringes, buckles, etc.

The best way to figure it out is to try high boots with your pants on. If the shafts don't show under the fabric and the decorations on the shafts don't snag on the inside of the pant legs, then you could wear pants over the boots.

It's wonderful you found those Clarks shoes! They look stylish and comfortable.

This post was edited by LanaRoma on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 22:16

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz