Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilltop_gw

Jamberry nails anyone?

hilltop_gw
9 years ago

Has anyone tried the Jamberry nails with much success? To me it looks like contact paper applied to nails. I had one nail put on at a craft fair and it lasted all of about 15 minutes till I finally peeled it off, but she applied it rather hastily and I probably didn't give it a chance. They advertise that they last much longer. Do they look real or really last if applied properly? Could a person put clear polish over them to seal them better or make them look less like plastic?

A friend recently started selling these and I'm wondering if it's worth the try.

I am a nail biter/picker and I'm hard on my hands due to the type of work I do. A few times a year I'll have a gel/shellac manicure and then things look nice for maybe a week at most.

Comments (17)

• homersmom
    9 years ago

I use them and find that they stay on for at least 10 days to two weeks. I've had my toes stay on for four weeks. You have to make sure the adhesive has been sufficiently activated -application is everything. I use the French manicure on my hands and the fun stuff on my toes.

• hilltop_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow homersmom those look beautiful! I didn't realize they had the French manicure. So are those the white tip or the white and pink tint tip? Also what length did you get? I see it comes in short, mid and long.

• homersmom
    9 years ago

These are the white tip - medium. I just got the white polka dot frenchies, but haven't tried them yet. This is how Garden Party looks on toes (I believe the pattern was recently retired).

• hilltop_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice - looks like I need to give them a chance. Unfortunately the gal that demonstrated them at the craft fair may not have done them justice.

• homersmom
    9 years ago

Hilltop - don't peel them off - use a little olive oil and rub it into your nail as you gently roll the wrap off the nail.

• Jamie
    9 years ago

Those look great, homersmom.
    I haven't heard of these before.

Do they hold peeling layers together? If you already have some layers peeling, will the wraps go on well anyway?

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

To me they look like stickers on the nails. I know a jamberry rep and she routinely wears a set for 10 days to 2 weeks before they need to be removed. I did buy some for my teen nieces for Christmas.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Those look fabulous, no way I could do that to myself though :)

• homersmom
    9 years ago

Jamie's - I'm not sure about holding peeling nails together. I've never tried to apply them to a peeling nail.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I'd never heard of them either. DD (20 y/o) has nails that break and tear easily, which makes it difficult for her to grow them out nicely. Would these nail whatevers (patches? appliques?) help sturdy-up her nails, do you think? How much do they cost for the fingernails? Homersmom: your nails look really great!
    Lynn

• homersmom
    9 years ago

Thanks for the compliment Lynn, boop, jamies and hilltop. They run about $15 a sheet and I believe you can get 2 mani's and a pedi or two out of each sheet. Lynn, my nails have become easier to chip as I'm aging, so these seem to help avoid that issue. They aren't difficult to apply, but there is a bit of a learning curve.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I've never heard of them so I did a search - I'm always looking for something non-damaging to make my nails pretty.

It looks like they can be just as damaging as gel nail polish, hard to apply, and if not applied properly, can cause fungus between the product and nail. No thanks. :-(

• Jamie
    9 years ago

Homersmom, another question. The clear French tips come in lengths. Does the length of the clear part vary, or just the length of the white part? Hard to tell from pictures. I'd like to have more clear and less white but my nails are short overall.

I did a search too. They appear to come off easily, so I don't see how they can damage nails -- the damage usually results from the removal, or from the nail being covered for a long time, or from roughing up the surface -- none of which is in play with Jamberry.
    I ordered some to test out. Watched some videos first.

• homersmom
    9 years ago

I have the medium and long french manicure. The long has more length in the clear section.

• hilltop_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To those with nails that break or have issues, try out Nail Magic Botanical Nail Strengthener with Horsetail. You can get it at Sally Beauty or Amazon. It's a clear polish. I put a coat on at night right before I go to bed, it dries fast. Since it's clear you don't have to do a perfect job. Also once a day rub in Burt's Bees cuticle cream or Burt's Bees Farmers Friend.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I have a friend who sells these. They don't damage your nails if done properly. In fact, they are kind of like a wrap in that they can give your nails a bit of added strength. You have to follow directions properly in applying and removing, etc. I have wanted to try the french manicure myself, just haven't ordered any. I love a french manicure, don't really enjoy going for a manicure and cannot do a french manicure polish myself. Homersmom, yours look great! I'm going to place an order.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

For anyone looking for stronger nails (Lynn's DD?), I've been using Opi's Nail Envy nail strengthener for the past few weeks and am very happy with the results. I have only one nail which continues to break but think it may be getting stronger.