Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Are You Dependent Upon A Medication?

User
9 years ago

I've always been very healthy, albeit with an underlying clotting disorder. A year and a half ago I developed a chronic heart problem that requires daily medication. After the initial hospitalization I was weaned off the medication over a period of six months, and as soon as I stopped taking it completely the problem returned. I went back in a half dose and after a few weeks had to go back to the full dose. I am perfectly fine as long as I take the medication prescribed (no sympathy needed, really!). But I have found that there's been a paradigm shift in the way I think about things due to the fact that I must have this drug. It has made me consider hoarding it, in case of a shortage or disruption in the supply chain. When I get down to a week's supply I find myself getting nervous, and I refill it sooner than I actually need to do. My insurance insisted that this drug be provided by automatic refill from a mail order pharmacy, but I do not want to depend upon the mail and opted out of having the insurance company pay for it. (It's not that expensive so the cost is a non issue.). When I travel I carry the medication with me, as I have always done with other prescriptions I've taken short term, but I find I am slightly anxious about losing it and won't leave it out on the counter in a hotel bathroom just in case the chambermaid throws it away accidentally.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have never been dependent for my life on any drug or device before and I realize what I am feeling is a natural reaction to being vulnerable. But, how long is this going to last?

So..... if your life or health is dependent upon something similar, how do you plan and arrange your daily life and travel to maximize control over the vagaries of chance, such as having your handbag that contains your medication stolen, or getting stuck somewhere without your prescription? How long did you worry about it? If this sounds completely paranoid, go ahead and say so, maybe that's what I need to hear--- and let's just say you wouldn't be the first person to say it ðÂÂÂ

Comments (45)

• Danahills
    9 years ago

I have/had Hashimotos and I no longer have a functioning thyroid. Therefore, I rely on synthroid every day. I need it each and every day and I do think about what would happen if I did not have my meds. What bothers me is my insurance will only fill my refill within one week before the prescription runs out. What if we have a blizzard and I can't get to the pharmacy in that week? I guess that crazy one week rule is mostly what I think about in regards to running out of my meds. I take other meds, but they are not as critical, so I don't worry about them.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I'd say tipping a bit toward the paranoid. So much of the population is dependent on prescribed medications - me included for both RA and Addison's Disease - and most of us manage to survive travel and what life might throw in our paths without a hiccup. But no, I wouldn't leave medications out in a hotel room or carry them around in my purse routinely under normal circumstances. Nor do I plan my life around taking pills or worry about the routine from day to day.

I've used mail order in the past and found it to be fast and accurate and wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I had to. The refill dates were always in advance of running out. And I suspect many/most pharmacies would sell you a small emergency supply of a drug should you find yourself in an away from home bind. I wouldn't swear to that, but it surely wouldn't be a situation pharmacies haven't encountered before.

Easy for me to say, but you've got to lighten up a little.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jstell, hat's another reason I decided to bypass the insurance on my medicine--- but again, it is very inexpensive. In fact, I found that the FULL PRICE for my prescription is less than my copayment for it through the insurance! So I can get mine refilled whenever I want, although I try not to get it more than six or seven days early. If I lived in the northeast I believe I would want a cupboard full just in case of snow.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I take Lipitor and just started on a thyroid med. I find that I am perhaps too relaxed about it, not that it would be life threatening for me if I missed a day, so not quite the same as your situation.

I also used mail order and never had a problem, but when my doctor prescribed the thyroid medication, he did it through our pharmacy. I have continued that. We don't get blizzards around here-at least not any that would keep me in for more than a couple days, so that would not be an issue. Heck, if need be, I could trudge through the storm to get to the store-2-3 miles. :)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear you, Duluthinbloomz, and I guess if it were something that would cause a slow decline from missing the medication I would be less fearful. I do want to find some combination of behaviors that will become second nature and help me feel more in control. Lightening up, while an excellent idea, is just not my thing and never has been. Knowing that I am trying to walk the line between paranoia (yes) and informed preparedness if that makes sense.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Heck, if need be, I could trudge through the storm to get to the store-2-3 miles. :) "

If would be a bit longer of a walk for me out here in the country, lol. I am thinking that an extra month's prescription on hand is more Girl Scout readiness than survivalist nutcase syndrome.

• jmck_nc
    9 years ago

I have pretty severe asthma (well controlled currently), and life threatening allergies to aspirin and peanuts. I had one terrifying ambulance ride in the middle of my brother's college graduation. That was at the beginning before I even knew about the aspirin and I took an allergy med containing it. Travel makes me nervous and I always have a portable nebulizer and supply of prednisone with me along with my epipen. It has gotten easier over the years to feel less vulnerable, but I remember how it was after that scary incident in Hoboken...I did not want to go anywhere for years. I'm still not a world traveler, but I do feel less nervous about it now. I hope you are able to feel more comfortable as time goes on. Once, when visiting FL I had a particularly difficult time and they were able to refill my prescription for prednisone at a local pharmacy after calling my home pharmacy. Out of the US I'm less comfortable.

Judy

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

,My oldest DS is on medications for psychiatric reasons. When we travel, I am pretty neurotic about making sure he has enough medication, that it is refilled in plenty of time before we go if necessary, that he packs an extra couple days' worth "just in case," that the pills go in a carry-on instead of checked bags, etc. At home, I'm not as worried because we have a pharmacy nearby, prescribing dr. is nearby, etc. Once we were on a vacation and the trip home involved a fairly long and stressful day, multiple airports, etc., and he had not packed enough medication. After a scene in the airport with him, I have been even more careful about double checking after he packs his medication.

I'm sure if I was on any medicine for a life threatening condition, I'd be super careful too. I just take blood pressure medication and it doesn't seem to matter much if I miss a day here or there.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Chain pharmacies are all connected within each chain. If your prescription is filled at Walgreens or Walmart or Rite-Aid, for example, you can get an emergency refill at any of their branches. I hope that alone gives you some level of comfort. (Just don't travel to North Dakota. They won't allow chain pharmacies there.)

As to hoarding it, I'm sure there is some other pharmaceutical manufacturer that makes something that would do the same thing for you that this one does, if in the unlikely event, whoever manufacturers yours stops. For example, cyn mentioned that she takes Lipitor. That is a statin drug. There are several statin drugs on the market today, plus generics. If Lipitor were to be removed from the market, cyn's physician could prescribe something else that would do the same job.

If you are concerned with your purse being snatched or the maid throwing away your meds or their somehow becoming unavailable, split up what you carry with you. Keep some in the room, some in your purse, some in your suitcase, etc. The likelihood of something happening to all of them at the same time is less than miniscule.

Have you talked to your doctor or your pharmacist about how long you might be able to go without medicine should something go awry? It might be longer than you think. Certainly, long enough to get to a branch of your pharmacy and get an emergency refill.

I'm sorry that you are having so much anxiety about your medicine along with your physical problem. I am happy for you that through the "magic" of modern medicine, there is a pill you can take that will allow you to lead a normal life.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

I thankfully only have to take a thyroid medication, but do not take synthroid. It never worked well for me. I purposely see a integrative MD for a more holistic approach.
    Since I grew up in the upper plains states where one might be lucky to get to a good size town once per winter; I am totally into having more than one months worth of any thing on hand.
    I do not use my prescription plan to purchase my meds for this reason. I always keep six months on hand. I try to keep more than one months of my DH heart medication on hand this is more difficult due to his MD and prescription plan.
    No way do I consider this hoarding. Just common sense IMO

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

My daughter is a type 1 diabetic. Her meds are done through a mail order pharmacy. They are expensive so there is no way we could bypass this. Our prescription includes at least 1 extra bottle in case one breaks or whatever. I have been working on training her how to guard her purse. We have back ups of her glucometer, extra syringes, test strips. In the first year we ran out of her test strips once, it was a Sunday night and the pharmacies were closed. We found a substitute over the counter that worked but that never happened again. I was admittedly a bit of a wreck when she went away to camp in another state but I suppose I will always be a bit of a wreck where her health is concerned, I do not anticipate it ever going away as she is my kid (it will likely be much worse when she is pregnant, thankfully I have a while yet).

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I take compounded T3 for hypothyroid. I am more careful about taking this med than anything else. The proper way to take thyroid meds is on an empty stomach with only water and not eat or drink for at least 45 minutes. I always wait an hour. T3 has a short uptake, so not taking it correctly makes a big difference. I am grumpy about having to take it, but checking out from exhaustion is not an option.

The only time I get nervous is if I have a short notice business trip. My compounding pharmacy is only open during weekday business hours. Otherwise, I travel with my meds on me and lock them in my suitcase in the hotel. I pack all the supplements I take in my bags because I don't feel terrible if I miss a day.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Kswl, I am not dependent on medication at this point in my life. However, I read an article about drug shortages-- or sometimes the complete cessation of the production of drugs-- so I do understand your concern. It seems rare, however, and only happens when the drug is unique (no substitutes) with few people needing it. (Also, it seems like European countries usually have it available anyway.)

One thing I have found with worry is to play through various scenarios. For example, if I panic about x, then I think about what I'd do in case of x. It helps to plan, which it sounds like you do.

Another train-of-thought I like-- someone said the Dalai Lama said it, but I can't verify, is that worry is a waste of time. If one can address the problem, then the solution can be found. If there is no solution, then worrying about it doesn't help. It sounds like you are finding ways to make sure you have your meds, and you are very resourceful if there is a time where you might be without it. In other words, trust in yourself that you will take care of yourself, because you do/will.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for these insights and personal experiences. Anele, that comment def rings true--- I am trying to convert useless worry into a plan / action. And although the chances of a medication becoming completely unavailable are very slim, you can look at the recent shortage of IV bags of saline and see that nothing is impossible--- some hospitals and clinics have been getting it from Spain as there has been a serious shortage in come areas of the country.

Spanish, a short notice trip is another good reason to have some stocked supply of my stuff on hand. Your situation is more difficult because of the hours of your pharmacy. Our town does not have a 24 hour pharmacy but most are open to 9 pm.

Tishtoshnm, my DD had a childhood friend who was diabetic and the first time she had a play date at our house in second grade her mom gave me a typed sheet and went over it all with me very carefully. I was impressed that she would let the child out of her sight. She didn't do it lightly and later told me that if I hadn't seemed to take it seriously that she would have cancelled...very understandable! Sueb20, you have a difficult situation as well. Does your DS take his medication on his own now or do you still oversee it? I'm a control freak---I'm sure no one is surprised by that admission--- and I don't know when I would be able to give over that responsibility for a kid, although I guess whether it is psychiatric medicine or insulin one would be guided by the child's behavior.

Missymoo, thanks! I am trying to be sensible and careful without being a bad citizen. I guess if something is plentiful, keeping a reasonable supply couldn't be considered hoarding.

Bbstx, splitting it up between two different places is a good idea! I can go about two days without the medicine until the symptoms require hospitalization. That could change without warning though, which is part of my unease.

Judy, although I have only made a few trips during this past year (tied at home to a remodel, lol) I usually take several trips a year. I did go to Europe last year and took an extra month of medication with me. I checked for it in my purse more than I would care to admit, but at that time I had been put back on the full dosage fairly recently because of problems.

This post was edited by kswl on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 8:03

• maddielee
    9 years ago

For those taking synthroid....my endocrinologist explained that because it takes a while to build up in your system, it would also take a while to decline, so missing a dose or 3 is not a big deal. Just get back on it as soon as possible.

Mine comes through our insurance mail delivery, it's on automatic renew. For some reason I usually have at least 40 days worth left in my script when the new one comes.

I've been reading that some patients are now taking it right before bed which would eliminate the need for morning fasting. Anyone here try that?

ML

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Maddie, I have taken my synthroid at night for many years and it works well for me. I have had hyperthyroidism for many, many years. And I know that synthroid stays in your system for a few days, if you have a partially functioning thyroid. My problem with drug availability is that I do not have a functioning thyroid. My body doesn't produce any thyroid hormone.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Don't tell me worrying doesn't help; half the things I worry about never happen.

Yeah, that was a bumper sticker. But you do have to take care of yourself and your sense of safety, because too much worrying can hurt you, too!

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I've taken my synthroid (Hashimoto's) in the morning for years. I have a new endo and she urged me to take it at night because it's easier. I just couldn't get into the groove of taking it at night so I switched back to mornings. I use that hour to drink a bunch of water which feels good first thing in the morning.

My thyroid just won't stabilize so I'm afraid the next step is having it removed. I'm also having issues with my parathyroid which might cause it's removal as well. So I can certainly sympathize because just the THOUGHT of becoming dependent on a medication makes me very uneasy.

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Magdalena I had Hashimotos and I had years of difficulty stabilizing my thyroid. When my thyroid finally totally stopped working, my endo could stabilize me. I have been stabilized for about three years and it is so nice to not be up and down all the time.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Other than my inhaler, which I have one in every room and in my purse, the one med I would take with me if there was a fire is my Carb/Levo, which is for Restless Leg Syndrome. If any of you have it, you know what I mean. lol.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

kswl - you're on the right track as far as trying to figure out ways to protect yourself with your medication but I'm really not understanding the comment about being a 'bad citizen". How in the world does keeping extra anything on hand for emergencies make one a bad citizen.
    I'm an old farm gal and have weathered MANY days to weeks long weather emergencies in my time. From snow/bizzard to tornados that completely wiped out a neighboring town to friends homes being destroyed by fire and being so grateful for having extra items on hand to give them to make it through. The most recent being Hurricane Sandy. I personally trucked 12 - five gallon cans of gas to friends in North Jersey because they couldn't get it due to power outages and rationing. I believe this all makes me self sufficient and NOT a bad citizen. The people I've helped certainly don't think so.
    It all depends I think on how one was raised and where. Disasters can and do happen anywhere, years ago my SIL and her family were stranded for almost three weeks due to a freak winter ice storm in N GA. They were down to crackers and pop.
    So just do what you need to do and don't worry about it. Get a couple months more meds and anything else you think you may need. Common sense.
    Magdelenalee - I have Hashimoto's as well synthroid never worked well for me and years ago my MD switched me to Armour
    thyroid. This worked better but now I am on Nature-throid; Armour had changed its formulation. These medications supply T-3. Please don't have your thyroid out without exploring all your options. I do have some fluctuations in my health but this is due to the auto-immune nature of Hashimotos and my other AI issues. My integrative MD has been a lifesaver form me; I was horribly managed back when I was seeing an endocrinologist. YMMV

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

bpathome, haha!

I decided to stop worrying (for the most part!) when my husband lost his job a few years ago. I always worried about it-- told him that his job came before family-- urged him not to switch jobs because his company had never laid anyone off before. Ever. But, then there was a freak court decision w/ a Microsoft product and 25% of the company was let go because they could no longer use the product . . .and that's the product my husband had been working on.

At that moment, I decided worrying was futile. I actually enjoyed DH's time off which I feel helped his attitude, too. (Better for interviews.) He was able to find contract work quickly and found work closer to home. If it hadn't had worked out well, worrying would have made things worse.

Being prepared-- yes. Worrying-- no.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Missymoo I wasn't referring to you as a bad citizen and apologize if my comment sounded like I was. I grew up in a city and lived in Europe during the oil embargoes of the 1970s....people hoarding gas supplies were considered bad citizens as they thought their needs superseded others'. That is sort of my point of reference for hoarding--- not to mention we have a few survivalist groups in our area, for whom hoarding and planning for the apocalypse is a lifestyle. I guess I just want to consider my situation and actions carefully. I'm making progress; when I first realized I could not live without medicine I wanted a five year supply in our safe! Not thinking that way anymore, but it has had a lasting impact. I want that impact to result in rational self interest and not crazy lady hoarding, if that makes any sense, mostly because I want my actions to help calm my emotional response and not feed into it.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

kswl I realy did not think you were referring to me personally but I was responding to the bad citizen idea. I believe being prepared for the whatevers of this life has gotten a bad rap in recent years and I cannot figure out why. As with many things there is a spectrum involved. Where one comfortably fits herself into the spectrum is a personal choice. If people think they are doing the right thing for themselves and their families by keeping a stocked pantry and a full tank of gas (or twelve ;) this is not the stuff of bad citizenry. If I am well stocked, I can do more to help others in times of need.
    Hoarding is different than being well prepared and realistic. One is a psychiactric condition and the other IMHO is common sense.
    I applaud you for thinking this through and bringing this topic up in the forum. Having been on the receiving end of help in times of need and the giving end, I know I cant do much to help anyone else if my family is not well taken care of first. As far as being prepared you should check out www.ready.gov; even our government wants people to be more prepared.
    As far as medications go it is only in recent years with scripts costing the arms and legs that they do, that insurance companies have begun only paying 30 days worth.
    Some plans allow for some meds to be prescribed in 90 day allotments. At least prior to the ACA. I am in the medical field and back in the day it was common for doctors to write scripts for 6 months or more as a convenience to patients. This was way back when people paid for their own meds.
    This isn't as much a crazy lady hoarding issue as it is the new mindset of the medical/insurance economics framework we are living under. You are NOT being crazy and should just go get a few months worth of your medication. There is a reason this is bugging you -just go take care of it. I wish you the best as you sort this out.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

"t years with scripts costing the arms and legs that they do, that insurance companies have begun only paying 30 days worth.
    Some plans allow for some meds to be prescribed in 90 day allotments. At least prior to the ACA. I am in the medical field and back in the day it was common for doctors to write scripts for 6 months or more as a convenience to patients. This was way back when people paid for their own meds. "

I'm not sure what the above means? Most doctors I know will write scripts for a year. Unless it's a controlled substance or antibiotic. Mail order meds usually refill on a 90 day cycle.

ML

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

ML, the refills are good for a year but there was a time when you could pick up a larger supply at once. My mail order does 90 day cycles but many are limited to a 30 day supply. When I have my daughter's prescriptions renewed, I have to remind the doctors that I need the 90 day supply and not the 30 as that seems to be the norm. For us the problem comes when I do not see the prescription because if they write it wrong, I am charged the same rate even if the doctor messed it up.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

No, I'm not dependent on a medication but I do take a prescription med for migraines which is very expensive. I only get 9 with each refill every 2 months. So that makes me feel as if I'm only allowed 9 migraines every 60 days, which is enough to make one feel kinda anxious about it (I don't). Most times 9 is really enough and then some, but my headaches are weather-related for the most part and I can't really predict when one will start up. Our insurance is great so I have to pay maybe a dollar or so for them.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Interesting topic here!

My only "needs" are 2 typical "BP-Meds", Lisinopril & Diltiazem/Cardizem; & a full 325mg Aspirin/day (A-fib tendency/clot-preventative if it happens).

The other is Zoloft. This, together with a great CBT-Therapist has helped me a LOT. Yes...you really see the mechanics of how "worry", phobias, & fears are SO self-defeating! One thing you learn is to kind of "deconstruct" a fear, list the WORST that could happen...then list factors that you possess, or can use, to counter a situation.
    * Even if your tools are just "new thought techniques"...so much the better!!!
    * Soon, you start to realize how ridiculous some trains-of-thought & practices REALLY ARE!

>>> Why did I bring this up?
    In some posts here, I can see some "dovetails" into "Anxious-Thinking" themes. Here, it's the "What if I don't have enough pills" variations. Some tendencies I HAD were "Catastrophic-thinking" related.

Faron

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Another with Hashimotos. I take levoxyl (T3) and liothyroxine (T4) and have been stable for over 15 years.

I am also on pain med therapy for extreme chronic pain. I cannot take aspirin or Nsaids (life threatening stomach bleeding as a result) The thyroid meds are on a 90 day mail order, but i have a two week back up just in case. When i travel i bring along a day of the week organizer that i keep in my toiletry bag, and a bottle of extras in my purse.

Because my pain med is a schedule 2 drug, I am only allowed 60 pills every 28 days. I don't take it every day, so I always have extra, but one time i had two left and called for a refill. There was a mix up with the nurse and i had to wait almost 2 weeks (my Dr was on vacation) to get a refill. I really had to cut back on normal activities during that time, and even resorted in getting meds from my MIL when the pain got so bad.

Learned my lesson there! So now I keep at least a week supply back in case of the scenarios you've described. I keep only about 15 in a bottle in my dresser, a full 60 locked in the safe (its a narcotic that is very popular) and another dozen in a gum dispenser in my purse. I also keep a copy of my RX in that container. Great theft deterrent since no one is going to suspect that grape gum (ewww!) Of course, I have no small children to worry about getting in to my purse.

• voila
    9 years ago

I sympathize with you, kswl. I don't really worry about my Levoxyl much. But drugs that are taken to control a life threatening disease or extreme pain are another story. I experienced an excruciating months long bout of Trigeminal Neuralgia last year and have be on a high dose of medication for it ever since. I went for my Neurologist appointment today and told him I am afraid to stop taking the meds. He hadn't suggested that I do that, but said it could likely come back and to keep taking it. I felt silly in a way, knowing how afraid I am of another attack. When I read your topic, I had to admit I have a little stash tucked away in case of emergency. I even have the old dose, which was half the strength before it had to be increased. Trigeminal Neuralgia is not life threatening. It just has a high rate of suicide. :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Call me a survivalist nutcase if you will but things can and do happen. There could be a disruption to the supply chain that could cause weeks or months of supplies being short.

I am not dependent on any medication. At the age of 61 I take a benadryl at night to help me sleep, an occasional Aleve for headache, and an occasional Imodium. My DH takes medication for high cholesterol and a bp medication. I have urged him to have a supply on hand but he says since neither are life threatening he doesn't bother.

I have a several year supply of Benadryl and Aleve and rotate it from my stock so it is still fresh. I also have rubbing alcohol, band aids, bandages, hydrogen peroxide and other first aid items. We also stock extra food, toilet paper, and other health supplies. My motto is "prepare for the worst and pray for the best".

I don't think you are paranoid. It sounds to me like you are realistic and know that a problem could occur. Being prepared will give you peace of mind, so prepare and then stop thinking about it.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Missymoo, that is how I feel about my well stocked shelves. Not only is there enough for us but also for our family and neighbors if the need arises. We live in times that a terrorist attack or even a very bad storm really could cause a disruption in the supply chain.

I would actually urge everyone to have at least a two week supply of food and health care supplies. Being prepared is important, and honestly with preparation comes peace of mind.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Yes. I have 2 weeks worth of makeup, easily.
    (that's health care, isn't it?)

I do have 5 weeks of food but then we would have to eat all the weird stuff I don't know what to with :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

LOL, Bumblebeez. I have years and years worth of makeup. Like for when the Goth look comes back or if I change my mind about the third color of eye shadow left over in the Chanel combos.

Remember after 9/11 when we were supposed to duct tape ourselves up and shelter in place. Being close to NYC (And working there), I had a survival kit my employer gave us. I carried around iodine pills (for radiation IIRC?). And we had a "FEMA" closet in our basement that we would clean out and restock every 6 months. They had a list of things you were supposed to stock. We also had gasmasks. Because the kids were little and growing, we had to change it every six months as food expired and sized changed. Was anyone else that crazy?

We don't do any of that anymore. I stock our favorite toiletries, and not much else. DH likes to stock things but I insist "I am not a Costco".

If I had a prescription, I would stockpile it, too. Why have any anxiety when it can be so easily resolved? I hope over time you become more comfortable with it. We don't even think about FEMA anymore. ; )

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I do believe in being prepared. I've lucked out with my medications in a few instances - dosage increases leaving me with a supply to take two of instead of discarding in lieu of the new. Not to mention some of the dr's office girls not being real good at figuring out quantities. The drug I take to keep upright and functioning (two pills in the AM, 1/2 pill PM - a pill cutter is a real handy device) throws them... two and a half pills times a 90 day supply is 225 pills and not 270 as I currently get. Voila! Instant backlog.

Same with other things - one often finds a good product only to have it disappear from shelves in a year or two for something new and improved - which generally isn't.

I tend to take things in stride - not that I don't give them a moment's thought before letting them go. I do tend to stock up a bit food-wise when winter hits; however, I've never been snowed in for more than a day here. The roads are plowed and sanded down to pavement as soon as snow stops falling and it's business as usual.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Dependent? Yes. Worried? No.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I take Ambien to help me to sleep. It is the only pill I've taken since I had a minor concussion in 2004 that gives me pain relief. My husband can't believe it, but it's true. I had cortisone shots and even morphine in the ER and they did nothing for my pain. I don't want to run out. The last time I got it filled at the pharmacy I was told I was filling it to early. I needed to wait until the day that I ran out to get it filled. That is crazy! The pharmacist filled it early anyway. We go there exclusively. I have a 90 day supply now so that is a big relief. Mail order is the best and a little cheaper. They don't mind sending it a week or so early.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

My locale is not in the path of most natural disasters so in my lifetime, I haven't had to deal with them the way others have (Thank God!, I don't take it lightly or want to devalue the contributions of so many)
    I did stockpile for y2k and still have cans of seeds in the basement.
    If I lived in an area known for extremes, Oklahoma or the beach anywhere, for instance, no question about needing ample emergency supplies.
    We live on 5 acres bordering a creek so if the aliens attack, we can hunker down and plant those y2k seeds.

For your amusement: for y2k, I stockpiled olive oil, chocolate, coffee, ibuprofen and wheat. (with a few other necessities-cash- thrown in).

• OllieJane
    9 years ago

I've been taking a half of Ambien every night since my mother passed away 2 years ago. I tried one night not taking it and ended up taking one a couple of hours later. I'm sure it's in my head, but I feel I get anxiety and just lay there if I don't, so I make sure I never run out of them.

This post was edited by olliesmom on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 10:38

• tinam61
    9 years ago

After reading this thread I realize I must not think/worry about alot of things. We're not dependent on meds, but there are things I like to keep on hand but I do not keep a big supply of anything. Oh we always have extra TP, paper towels, soap, laundry detergent, etc. and there is food in the pantry and freezer but that's about it. We don't keep alot of cash in the house or stockpile items. Personally, I don't put much faith in things like Y2K, etc. but I guess we might need to think about kind of an "emergency kit" and some items to have on hand. We do have a generator, so at least we thought about something, at some point! LOL

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

The only thing I hoard is TP. I think it's a left over fear from being poor, when TP wasn't always on the top of the list.

I even had a special cabinet made for TP when we built our house:

• zzackey
    9 years ago

That's quite a TP stash! When I had a big linen closet, I had at least 2 of everything. Bogo free sales made it easy. We boarded up and stayed for 3 hurricanes in 6 months when we lived in Indian River county, Florida. Gallons of water was the #1 priority. We lost power for days each storm. We had a generator that kept the refrigerator on. We just sweated alot and took outdoor showers with the garden hose. We had an artisian well. So that was a big help.

This post was edited by zackey on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 1:30

• ladypat1
    9 years ago

How do you stockpile Rx meds? Will Drs give you a bigger supply to rotate? What about the insurance? Will they pay ahead for extra meds?

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

It's not easy to stockpile an Rx with the prescribed number of pills, refill dates, etc., etc. that most drug plans mandate and adhere to. And there are always those who will skip doses or cut pills, sometimes to their detriment.

As I said in my post of Nov. 18 at 18:36 - math errors in the Dr's office has provided me with a bit of a backlog. But that's an occurrence one can't count on happening all the time. And I am charged for the higher pill count since it's what's written on the Rx - they're not freebies.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I don't know if a Dr would give you a prescription for an extra month but it would be worthwhile at least discussing the possibility. I am sure though it would have to be paid for privately and not through insurance. I am so grateful that I am not on any prescription meds.