Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanny2a

Technical computer question from someone who's clueless

nanny2a
13 years ago

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the computer. We have Mac's, and love them, but I've never really learned how to do all the things that can be done on this computer. What I want to learn is how do you insert a photograph from an online catalog or store so that it appears in your message. I know how to bring in one of my own pictures from my photobucket account into the message, but want to know how you can do this with a photo from another website.

The second thing I'd like to learn is how you can have a message where there is one word in that message that is in bold print, and when you click on it, it takes you to a different location.

Is there an easy way someone more computer savvy than me can explain to me how you do this?

Comments (12)

• hilltop_gw
    13 years ago

You'll need to use these symbols with no spaces to start to make it bold. (Don't type in and)

Then your word.
    Then is the end to making it bold.

Anything you put between those sequences will be bold

You can also do it at the beginning and then your word and then to make it italic italic

You can also do it at the beginning and then your word and then at the end to make it redcolor>

Whatever you put between these symbols at the beginning is what it will do, such as b for bold, i for italic, u for underline etc.

If you forget the ending section or don't use the / symbol in the ending section everything thereafter will continue to be bold or red or italic, etc. Confusing?
    If you look online there are HTML cheatsheets. Sometimes you have to use color codes for non-standard colors

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Posting a photo from another website - I don't know if it works the same with a Mac or not:

Go to the website with the photo, put your cursor on the photo and RIGHT click and a box will pop up.
    LEFT click on VIEW IMAGE INFO
    A box will appear with the line LOCATION: followed by that photo's location on the web starting with HTTP and ending with JPG.
    Copy and paste the location into your post at GardenWeb.
    Type in front of it img src=
    It will look like this:
    img src=http and so on, ending with jpg
    Then add carets at the beginning and end.
    Preview the message and if you don't see the photo, something has gone wrong.

It is complicated to explain, easy to do. It's easier if you print this out and follow the instructions.

• awm03
    13 years ago

graywings, on my Windows PC, it's right click and select Copy Image Location.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

graywings, on my Windows PC, it's right click and select Copy Image Location.

I think that it depends on the browser that you are using. It's different for Firefox and IE.

• awm03
    13 years ago

That's probably right, terriks. I use Firefox. Selecting Copy Image Location copies the url in one step. All you have to do then is right click & paste after img src=

Add before & after carats, and voila!

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

The thing about using a picture from another web site; called hot linking; is that the picture is being hosted on their web space that they pay for. Hot linking their photo in a post here could be a bad idea; especially if they have it set up that any hot linked images can turn into something else - I've seen it happen where the image turns into a picture that says- this image has been stolen from such & such site. It's called bandwidth theft.

If I feel the need to link to a photo on say target's site- I will either save to my computer & upload to my photo sharing site- or make a clickable word link; that would say- image on Targets site.

• camlan
    13 years ago

Nanny2a, most Macs don't have the same right-click capability as a PC.

You can try the instructions given above for copying pictures, but instead of right-clicking, you need to click and hold (click the mouse but don't let up). Depending on your internet browser and which version of the Mac Operating System (OS) you are using, this may bring up the pop-up menu that Greywings is referring to. Or not.

If you are using Safari (the internet browser that comes with Macs), try this to copy a picture:

To save an image:
    Control-click (hold down the "control" key at the same time you click) the image and choose Save Image to âÂÂDownloads,â or choose Save Image As and type a name for the image.

I prefer to use "Save Image As." This lets me name the image with something I will remember, and it lets me choose where to put the image on the computer--you can create folders in your Documents for things like "Living Room Inspiration Pics" and "Cute Cat Pics." You can also choose to save the image right in iPhoto. From iPhoto, you can easily upload the image to a site like Photobucket. From there, you can add the picture to your message.

If you aren't using Safari, which internet browser are you using? Firefox? Opera? Let me know and I'll see if I can figure out what to do.

• natal
    13 years ago

I have a Mac and right click for "View Image Info" then left click to copy the location. Graywings provided the correct instructions.

• deegw
    13 years ago

Cool! I did it! I have always saved the pic on my computer, uploaded it to photobucket and then posted it from there. This way is much easier. Thanks for the tutorial.

• awm03
    13 years ago

Yay! Nice picture too :)

• blubird
    13 years ago

Camlan,

I can assure you that any Mac mouse has right-click capabilities, just as a PC mouse. You find many options in the Mac's System Preference menu to control your mouse.

Helene

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I'm still working on this, but haven't had too much free time this week to experiment. I've copied the page and plan to try everyone's tips to see which works best for me.