Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Another tipping question

Olychick
10 years ago

I'm going to be at a hotel with valet parking (for a price of course) for a few days. We'll be getting my car out several times a day. I am usually a generous tipper, but the thought of $15 - $20 a day for valet tips (say $5 per trip), in addition to the $30-$40 to park it each day seems like a lot. Do you tip each time they retrieve your car? Do you tip when they leave to re-park it? I'm assuming they pool and split tips, but am never sure and don't want to stiff anyone by just tipping at the end of our stay. Every time I have this situation, I feel confused and end up dropping a big chunk of change just to make sure I'm being fair.

Comments (10)

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I tip each time they bring me my car but not when I drop the car off.

Like you, I tend to over tip for the same reason....to be fair to all.

However, I have noticed that many do not tip Valets at all.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I saw a TV expose about this. They had cameras inside the parking garage and showed how the Valets treat your car if you don't tip when dropping it off.
    It was enough to convince me to tip coming and going if you care about your car.

Last time we stayed at a hotel famous for hosting loud events, I slipped the desk clerk $20. and asked if she had a quiet room. Indeed she did!! Seems desk clerks seldom get tips and when they do, they will give you a great room.

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

Golddust...what type of things do they do? I have used valet services since I was 16 and I have never noticed anything amiss and have never tipped when dropping the car off.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree that you tip when they retrieve your car but not when you return it. We recently stayed at a hotel that had valet but we usually only used the car once a day. I would tip each time though, although I don't think they would do anything to your car if you didn't.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

My son and I had the same issue when we stayed at a hotel in Santa Barbara last summer. I decided after the first night of tipping, which amounted to $15, to hold back and give one big tip after our 3 day stay. I thought my $40 added to all the other tips was satisfactory.

The one thing I did notice was when we wanted the car to be brought up, the valet had to go to an off site lot. I couldn't help but wonder if the cars in the hotel lot were those of people who tipped each and every time their car was brought up or parked. I did see a family leave and it didn't look as though 'the mister' gave a tip~guess I'll never know.

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone...so is $5 the norm per pick up and drop off? Too much? Would less $$ look worse than no tip?

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I am wondering if you can call ahead and speak to them. I think they would be more than happy if you tip coming and going for sure, but it would be nice to have a price that they seem is fair and work around that.

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

Olychick,

I was just checking out the Slice of Life thread on the "other" side and saw that you went to the Chihuly Garden in Seattle.

I've been thinking of taking the train up from Portland just to see it. I can tell from your post, it would be well worth it.

I hope the tipping situation went smoothly. I think anything between $2 and $5 is appropriate since they probably pool their tips.

Any other recommendations for my one day trip to Seattle. I won't have a car but I don't mind taking taxis ( and again the tipping issue arises :-) )

Thanks!

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Marlene, The tipping ended up being not a big deal. I only took my car out once and I tipped the guy who brought it to me. When we brought it back that night, the valet was on a break, so I left the key at the front desk, no tip required. When they brought it to me the next day there was a really long delay and the Bellman was beside himself...I assumed they couldn't find it. So when it finally showed up there was a lot of confusion and I never saw the valet. I always leave a good tip for the housekeeper!

I was hosting a friend from BC and we had just one full day, so we kind of packed it in. We started at the Theo Chocolate factory tour (reservations required) which was fun and interesting and you get lots of free chocolate samples (organic, fair trade). Then we went to the Seattle Center to see the Chihuly Garden. We arrived late afternoon and stayed until dark, which was the perfect timing...you want to see the garden in the dark, too. Of course the interior displays are the same day or night.

We dined in the Collections Restaurant at the Chihuly exhibit and it was fabulous. Very interesting, as Chihuly is a collector of quirky things and they are displayed very nicely. The food was exceptionally good. Then we went to a play at Seattle Rep, also at the Seattle Center. You can ride the monorail from downtown to the Center and avoid a taxi. It stops right at the Glass Garden and restaurant.

There is so much to see and do in Seattle...Nov is not my favorite time to visit, but for indoor activities, the Seattle Art Museum is wonderful, the music and theater scene is exceptional, as is the Opera, the Symphony, and Pacific NW Ballet. Their Nutcracker is renowned with sets by Maurice Sendak, so if you visit in Dec, it's a must see. There is great shopping both downtown and around the city.

The International District/Chinatown is a wonderful place to wander and eat. Uwajimaya shopping and browsing could fill many hours (maybe you have one in Portland now?)

I'm not much for creatures in cages, but the Aquarium is very popular as is Woodland Park Zoo, but might be more interesting with/for children. There are harbor tours, you can ride the ferry from downtown to Bainbridge Island and see some of the very best views of the city and poke around in the little shops on the island (Winslow is walking distance from the ferry. Great foodie town, too.)

There are many wonderful museums all over the city. I love the Washington Park Arboretum Botanical Garden. Their Winter Garden is extraordinary - might be a tough place without a car though. I don't know how easy it would be to get a taxi to pick you up when you are ready to leave. It's not a place the taxis would be hanging out waiting for a fare. But the public bus service in Seattle is great for whatever you'd want to do.

This is a bad pic of Chihuly's accordian collection on the ceiling of the restaurant. Each of the tables has a shadowbox under the glass top with a different collection. Ours was vintage wooden dollhouse furniture. One is a vintage string holder collection (those heads that have the string coming out of the mouth), I think another time we sat at a table with an inkwell collection.

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

Olychick,

Thank you SO much for all of the info! I've been to Seattle many times but not since the Chihuly Garden opened. However, I am embarrassed to say that I have not seen many of the attractions you've mentioned.

On your advice, I will plan on going to the Garden late afternoon and have dinner at the Collections.

I'm glad they found your car. About 25 years ago, my husband's car was stolen from valet parking. (I guess he should have tipped the valet when he dropped the car off :-))

Thanks again for taking the time to give me all of the info. I have printed it out and it will come in handy when I can stay a bit longer in beautiful Seattle. (Oh, and yes! Portland actually has Uwajimaya! )

m