Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

fashion question: what color stockings w/ gray dress?

Sueb20
10 years ago

I am always at a loss when it comes to playing dressup! I have a dress that is a medium gray -- sort of like the one in the photo but it has more of a round neck, and it's slightly lighter gray but it is lace. I wore it once to an August wedding, and didn't wear stockings. Now I want to wear it to a holiday party (formal) and I'm wondering what to do with my legs!

Would you wear nude or light gray stockings with charcoal gray shoes? (I have the shoes; they're plain pumps, a bit darker than the dress.)

Or, black stockings with black shoes? I also have black pumps. And maybe a black wrap?

Naked legs are not an option, because (1) this is New England and (2) I am getting 10 stitches taken out around mid-calf next week, and the party is 4 days later!

Also, the underslip on my dress is light gray, not flesh colored like this one.

Comments (16)

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Nude hose with gray shoes would be my first choice. If you find that the nude hose do not cover your surgical area in the mid-calf, then go with black hose/shoes. In either case, a black wrap will work well, or you could consider a red wrap for some color. Love the dress!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Maybe something with a bit of shimmer or sparkle since you're attending a holiday party? A shimmery pale pearl color or shimmery pale silvery-grey?

• teacats
    10 years ago

Let's see:

a)Very pale gray stockings with the gray shoes -- and a silvery gray wrap

b)Sheer black stockings with black shoes -- and a black wrap

• User
    10 years ago

You can buy dark stockings in a color called Smoke or off black or charcoal, and wear them with black sparkley shoes.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd go with the charcoal gray hose and shoes...such a lovely dress!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I would choose hose and shoes both in the color closest to the dress itself, or nude. But nude with stitches might not work so well.

Good luck next week from a fellow chicken.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I would do the same gray as the dress, with a slight shimmer. They are popular so should be easy to find.

• sovra
    10 years ago

I'd do nude hose with a silvery shoe or a shoe with a bold dark color-- maybe purple if I could find the right shade. Plain pumps would be okay, too, but I think a gray dress needs color in the accessories. If not in the shoes, then in a wrap.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Though I normally like natural colored legs, since you're concerned about a scare I'd wear some shimmery gray hose with your gray shoes. I do hope you share photos. It sounds like a beautiful outfit.

• deegw
    10 years ago

Will you be wearing a wrap or a cardigan? I would try on some dressy black high heel boots with a black wrap and see if the proportions look okay.

If you are going sleeveless, never mind. :)

• golddust
    10 years ago

Patty, I have those boots. Different brand but same thing. I think that dress would be great with black tights, black boots and a great jacket. Don't forget a pop of color. Maybe an orange purse? Beautiful dress. A grey slip would be an improvement.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay well that is not MY dress, just a similar color and lace. I do appreciate all the suggestions. I'll be shopping early next week and will probably come home with 5 pairs of stockings to try. I'd like to stick with the shoes I have because I know they fit and are reasonably comfortable, and prefer to keep my (chubby) lower half simple while I wow 'em with my snazzy jewelry and two coats of mascara LOL. I do have a pale pink cashmere cropped sweater that's under consideration, and I also have a few wraps -- black velvet, pale pink, purple. Might look for a new one while I'm shopping, though. The dress is sleeveless and my upper arms aren't really display-worthy.

Thanks, all! I'll try to remember to report back on what I wore.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

black--sheer or opaque. Everyone is wearing black hose with everything now, and never, ever, ever nude hose. Go black or go bare.

still looks wrong to me, but that is what is "right" right now.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 14:34

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I'd do nude, or gray. Penney's used to have the best color in a very sheer smoke, it was great with red, black, charcoal even taupe dress. Really, a wonderful color, no pasty elephant colored legs ;) I don't know if they still carry that shade, I'm so seldom in a short dress other than a bare legged summer look any more.

• yborgal
    10 years ago

I'd go with black hose and black shoes or the tall black boots with black stockings. Nude seems to be out at the moment.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting