Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Downton Abbey Fans - tonight at 9pm

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

... at least on our PBS.

In case anyone missed it, and for those of us well behaved enough not to have bootlegged it, not that I am casting apersions, ahem...

PROGRAM / SERIES DESCRIPTION:
A recap of the first four seasons of "Downton Abbey" and a preview of its fifth season, featuring behind-the-scenes footage and remarks from cast members, creator-writer Julian Fellowes and executive producers Gareth Neame and Liz Trubridge.
EMAIL REMINDER
Sunday, November 30 -- 9:00pm

Comments (16)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I've already set the DVR but we'll probably watch it. It's on at 8 here and repeats at 9:30. So glad they are having this recap...should be good.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Mtn. It's on our PBS at 9:00pm. I will be watching.

• April101
    9 years ago

Watching now:)

• User
    9 years ago

Who gets married? I'll watch even knowing. The evil people are getting too much face time, it looks like. It's going to be too stressful. I want to be entertained without my blood pressure rising.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

It's actually painful to watch Bernadette Peters face as she attempts expression - yikes.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah really ... My kids are big DA fans but are wondering who the heck this wooden lady is.

Plus got totally hoodwinked on the fundraising.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Oh mtn-you scared me. I thought I had missed the first episode. What was Bernadette Peters doing there? I love her.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDH3xtVn97c

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I love Bernadette Peters but I kept hoping someone would bring in a chair so she could sit down and relax.

Wouldn't we all love it if Edith finds Michael Gregson in Germany, they marry and reunite with their child? I hope that's the wedding!

• User
    9 years ago

I had to look! I don't ever read the last chapter first but Downton is starting to be a long draw out affair, pun intended! And if something doesn't get settled in Season 5 I probably won't watch every episode in Season 6. Yes. Season 6.

And why hasn't Edith moved on? How many years has it been? 3? 4? 5? Mary is not my favorite person BECAUSE her attitude sucks. I'm tired of Anna and Bates. Either kill them off or let them alone. As quickly as the "time" moves in the story, some of these situations should be resolved by now. There are only so many plot lines. Does every character have to experience every one of them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Downton Abbey recap: series five, episode one

• User
    9 years ago

The people who watch PBS without donating for membership are the ones bootlegging it. I donate to two separate public broadcasting organizations even though we do not have a television. I am just opening mine early!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I donate to two stations so I felt justified in fast forwarding through the fundraising part of the DA special. You're preaching to the choir buddy.

I was starting to lose interest last year and hope this year grabs more of my attention.

In the scenes from earlier seasons, it was funny to spot some of the costumes from the Winterthur exhibit.

I think Bernadette Peters is talented but was very odd and stiff. Her timing seemed off or something.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

I saw Bernadette Peters in Annie Get Your Gun in NYC and she was thoroughly enjoyable in the role. But I don't care to watch her when she's a guest on a TV show, her face and voice remind me of a Kewpie doll.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish I could delete this post!

I was so hoodwinked!

Worse yet, my poor children stayed up past their bedtime to be bamboozled as well! That was a rehash with more rehash, narrated by a strangely non-emotive BP (and to my kids, a stranger who they felt talked in a fake accent and looked "like a strawberry") and topped with a dollop of tease.

A waste of time really and hear I am the town crier for it.
    The only good thing that came out of it was a Christmas present for the kids. Season 5 (yes, we will wait for it). It will be a plus because we can watch it earlier in the day rather than too late every Sunday night. And a "Free Bates" Tshirt for my DS. Oh yeah, he is so hip. At least he stopped listening to opera.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Hhireno..and anyone else who's been....how did you like the costume exhibit at Winterthur? We're thinking of going....worth a 2 hour drive?

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I drove 1.5 hours to see it. It was great. They have 40 costumes, both upstairs and downstairs, men and women. There are some video screens with scenes playing. They tie-in how Winterthur was an American DA and display some of their items.

It's not a large exhibit but I thought it was very well done.

ETA:
    Being the only person in the world without a GPS, I followed the directions from Mapquest. They directed me to turn left across a busy 2-lane road, not at a light, onto an unmarked country road. I missed the turn. When I backtracked to correct, I stopped at the Post Office to confirm directions. I asked is this small unmarked road behind me route 100? Yes. From there it was another small country lane (something with a T) to connect me to Route 52, the road with the museum.

The course correction made me late for my timed admission to see the house decorated for Xmas. I didn't really care about that, I was there for DA. Anyhoo, when I arrived later than my scheduled time I was told I could not tour the house, they were sold out. Really? They had no way to accommodate one visitor? Not a carload, not a bus load but one person, anytime during that day? Okay, I'll just see the DA and other exhibits.

So my suggestion is get better directions and don't arrive late of you want to see the Xmas decorations. I would have preferred to take Route 1 directly to Route 52, instead of the perhaps more direct but poorly marked scenic tour.

This post was edited by hhireno on Wed, Dec 3, 14 at 10:45

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Thanks HH!