Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Has anyone used a car transport company??

ratherbesewing
10 years ago

And had a good experience?? I am trying to move a vehicle from Texas to PA. After reading reviews on many companies, I am finding some good reviews along with some disturbing negative reviews. The typical scenario: I would agree to a price and sign a contract, pay a deposit, they pick up your car and they collect the remainder at delivery (cash or cashier's check only). Upon delivery, some drivers are requiring more $$-like $200 more!. Remember that the delivery can be an after hours, and the driver has your car and your keys. Yikes! My husband is thinking of flying to Texas and driving the 24 hour drive himself.If you have had any experience with this, please discuss. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

We purchased a car on Ebay and it was in Ohio and we're towards Cape Cod. I did as you are doing and researched and found one I thought sounded good. I called at 8 a.m. and, lo and behold, the owner answered. I told him we were seniors and nervous and he laid it all out for me. I paid the entire amount to him via Paypal and he would not remove it until I called him that we had the car. They took it to 20 miles from our home so we went and got it. The owner was so nice when I called, he said, since you're both seniors and so nice, I'm knocking 200.00 off the price as we had cars going in that area anyway. So, instead of paying upwards of a thousand, I paid 750.00 and saved 7,000.00 on the car. Still have it and love it. Since then we've bought two more. Good luck, make sure you find a reliable delivery service. The first van I bought on Ebay and it was in Georgia so my husband flew and rode it home. Either way, they both worked out fine.

• User
    10 years ago

We used on a number of years ago to get our DD's car here to AL from SLC. She flew and we didn't want her driving alone across country. We had no problems at all. The driver called us along the way to let us know when he would arrive. He then had the car 3 miles from our house. We met and picked it up. No money changed hands with him as it was all done with the company. I can't remember who we used but I could look it up. My best friend that I ran with for many years used this kind of service a number of times as he was always buying cars on the internet and then selling them. He never had a bad experience that I recall. Good Luck. c

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

A friend of mine used a car delivery service from Houston to VT.

I met her (and her child and cat) at the nearest airport about an hour away from her new home. The car delivery people had guaranteed that her car could be picked-up that same afternoon at a place that was only a few minutes from the airport. I drove her there but they had no idea where her car was. She pressed them, hard, and they finally tracked it down two states away, and said it would arrive "soon". Luckily, I had cleared enough time to drive her to her new house and get a rental car there because her car didn't arrive for another whole day.

They were persuaded that they had to deliver it to her home and cooperate in the return of the rental (she is the only driver in her family) without charging an additional fee. I don't recall that she said there was any damage to the vehicle.

L

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

We've done a few transports and had no issues. You don't deal directly with the transporter but with a company that deals with many transport outfits and they'll connect you with the best fit. The price is directly related to how likely other cars will need to go to the same general area. We had a son in Gunnison, CO which is way out of the way for most transports but even that wasn't horrible - $550 from Chicago suburb. If you can pick up at a depot, large city or even an airport you'll save $$.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Mother bought a car in FL where they are so much cheaper and a lot available with low mileage, and had it shipped up north. AFAIK she had no trouble. As I recall, however, it did take awhile for her to get it as they didn't ship until they filled the car carrier.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

My neighbor just had a car delivered to her son in Hawaii - all the way from Philadelphia. This is the second time that she's used a car transport service and she didn't have any issues with them. I can ask who she used if you'd like.

• Mimou-GW
    10 years ago

Dh transported his car from San Diego to Seattle and the delivery guy did try to shake him down for more money. I had read about the possibility online and warned him upfront. He just told the guy no, said he was paying the amount he contracted for and that was it. I didn't follow him to Seattle until several months later. The transport company didn't send my car for 2 months! I was stuck in the middle of the woods on an island with no car, no friends and terrible cell reception. I nearly died of boredom.

• llugguss llugguss
    3 years ago

I am aware this is an old thread but I am now looking for a transport company and the ones mentioned above seem to not exist anymore, some help would be appreciated

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

My son had a car delivered last year from CA to NJ - he contacted an auto dealership in CA and asked who they used. He was able to get a better price by waiting a few weeks until there were enough cars to fill an enclosed car transport truck - it was smaller than the huge ones that service auto dealers.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

We transported a car from Ohio to SC. If you live in a large urban area and are transporting to a large urban area, you have more choice in transporters. And will pay less. However, we had a very good experience. The way the system seems to work is that you go into a website and list your location, where you want to have your vehicle shipped to, and approximate dates. Then there are brokers who, essentially, look for drivers and package your shipment with others on a route. You do have some control on some carriers over where your car is located on a multi level rig, inside an enclosed truck, etc. And your $ is determined based on that, too. We were called the night before our pickup (in the street in front of our home), and the night before our drop off...at a nearby store where the truck could enter and exit without issue. And there was never any $$$ exchanged with the driver. We will do it again this year. Good luck!

• moosemac
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Do not deal with a transport broker. They sub out the actual transport usually to the lowest bidder. If there is damage to your vehicle as a result of the transport, you will have a difficult time getting paid for the claim.

You get what you pay for. There are a plethora of individuals that transport cars, some more reputable than others.

I strongly suggest you use a reputable company that does the work themselves i.e does not sub out the work. It may not be the least expensive but you will have some recourse should an issue arise.

Check out towing companies. Many have transport divisions.

Require the seller or transporter to take pictures of the vehicle from all angles as well as underneath BEFORE they load the vehicle. Make sure they email the pictures to you at that time. This way you have date and time stamped documentation. Ask if there is GPS tracking on the transport vehicle and ask if you can access that info in realtime. Many companies offer a customer login for this purpose. At the very least, the transported should be able to email you a screenshot of the transport vheicle GPS location at any given time.