Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

The Grid

Vertise
9 years ago

What happened to Holly Kay's thread on our power grid? I can't imagine why it would have been removed. I can't find it anywhere!

Comments (45)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

More and more threads seem to up and disappear lately I've noticed....not sure what gives.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Darn, I wanted to read it, but didn't have the time and then I had to reset my computer and lost it.
    I certainly hope there isn't any censoring going on.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Hahahahahaha!

Someday, someone will figure out a little controversy is good for business. All the mean, ignorant and ignoramuses were removed from the cooking forum so half the people left and now it's as dull as the rest of the forums. Polite and blah.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I just realized I censored myself, because I didn't want to be kicked out.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

I assume the deletions are because OPs did not like the feedback they got and asked for the thread to be removed. Sometimes it's understandable. Other times not. Some internet forums are nasty but this one isn't. I think the forum owners here delete threads too hastily.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Someone made a derogatory political comment, and it was suggested that the thread belonged on the Hot Topics forum.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is not over there. 'Lefties' was hardly derogatory (or maybe i don't know what it really means) but something else was said that I don't recall now. Seemed pretty benign to me. Maybe it took a political direction the op did not want to escalate.

Too bad, it was a good subject I know little about and interesting how concerned others are and what precautions they are taking.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Definitely deleted. If you run a google search with "not scared but prepared Gardenweb", the thread will come up, but you'll receive an "oops, sorry this page is unavailable" when you click on it.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The person who blamed it on the lefties also said that we're doomed because we're a sinful nation. There's that whole idea that God won't bless America if we continue to sin. I had an Evangelical friend once who explained it all to me. She had interesting views of our 6000 year old world.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Yes, I guess it would make more sense over on Hot Topics. Too bad though, by the little I read, I really wanted to read it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

And? Why is she wrong and you are right? The introduction of such ideas: religion and politics, is best avoided here.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"The person who blamed it on the lefties also said that we're doomed because we're a sinful nation. "

Right, something like that was said, quite briefly. But i remember looking back at the posters names and the two comments were from two different people. That's the last I saw of any 'commentary' like that.

• emeraldisle624
    9 years ago

(Deleted post)

This post was edited by emeraldisle624 on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 3:59

• Gracie
    9 years ago

She brought it back because a member requested an update from her.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I understand about the politically inclined threads being removed but I sometimes feel annoyed at other threads being pulled when the OP doesn't like the comments she received, such as the Wow moment thread, members take time to express their opinions and caring comments, then poof the thread is gone.

It seems like you just have to ask the moderators and they will pull your thread. Although I don't know for sure if it's Oakley who asked for her thread to be removed, maybe someone else did.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

We will never know the who's and why's of threads being pulled. Generally, I find some of those squabbles quite entertaining although I do not want to participate. However, this is not the forum for them and they can easily escalate into ugly unpleasantness. (but I'm too indifferent to ever report)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I have very occasionally asked that a thread I've started be pulled because it strayed so far from the topic that I felt it was non-productive, but not controversial. I think that's within the prerogative of the original poster.

• springroz
    9 years ago

So just because a thread strays from the original topic, making some of us feel INSANE is OK???? Lol!

There should be a little note attached, instead of it just disappearing , IMO.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Early is the discussion when posts, previous to mine, mentioned "lefties" and "our sinful country", I did suggest the discussion be moved to Hot Topics.

The thread then became a good discussion about preparedness. I hope that my words about moving it to the Hot Topics forum was not the reason for it disappearing. I am sorry if it did.

ML

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I came looking for it as well because CNN did or is going to do a show on the U.S. power grid system and it's current weaknesses.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I really really wish my name would stay out of topics I didn't start. :)

Mitch wrote: "...but I sometimes feel annoyed at other threads being pulled when the OP doesn't like the comments she received, such as the Wow moment thread, members take time to express their opinions and caring comments, then poof the thread is gone."

Let me ask you this. Say you write a humorous topic, and then posters started saying nasty things about your relationship with a very close family member. Can you honestly say thoes were "caring comments?"

Talk about a topic "straying!" What happened to respect and civility towards one another?

After repeatedly telling those posters they are wrong, they kept it up. Am I supposed to just sit on my fingers and let people basically start a nasty rumor about me?

I would never do that to any of you. That is hitting below the belt.

Now you can disagree with me on what I should have done with my find, but to read more into it in such a dark way was just plain mean. Mean girls mean.

Don't read into things that aren't there. It doesn't just happen to me either, it seems to be a trend here for some reason.

Although I had a lot of agreements on what to do with my find, I'm more perplexed why none of you tried to stop the cyber bullying coming my way from those extremely nasty assumptions. That hurt more than anything.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

The comments were caring as far as trying to help you avoid creating a rift with your dil over the discarded tumblers.

I did not read the cyber bullying, maybe those comments were deleted even before the thread got pulled.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

In any event, I'm sorry you felt that way.....

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It's hard to know why people post personal things here and how they expect us to respond. I would never have the nerve to post something personal because I know it won't be all sugar, spice, and sympathy. But if I did, I'd be prepared to hear a different take on my situation, even if it's a hard truth. Maybe that's why it stings so badly--deep down we recognize there's some truth in it. If we can recognize that, I think it's a good opportunity for personal growth. For instance, I love how someone said on another thread that the OP should tell her problematic SIL that she has always thought of her as a great mother. The OP may have never thought to tell her and it could change their relationship for the better.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

There was no cyber bullying...at least the posts I read.

Mitch, if I have your attention :-) Those hamburgers on the menu of the second recommendation made me go out and eat a giant cheeseburger from our local bistro. I am a bit bitter toward you at the moment as my zipper won't zip :-)

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

I agree, no cyber-bullying. Sorry, I just don't see it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh for goodness sakes oakley, let it go. Everytime you don't like responses, you insist that you intended your original post to be humorous and then go off in a huff. Let it go. It is the internet. If we share things that are personal, we are bound to get differing responses. Taking everything so personally from people you don't know is just silly. If you can't let it go, then don't start it in the first place.

Edited to add: marlene, now you've done it. I am going to be lying awake all night craving a cheeseburger! :)

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 19:00

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

When a gw member seeks opinions on personal issues, whether obliquely or outright, it would be wise to sit back and prepare to take it on the chin, and learn by it. Years ago , I co- facilitated group therapy sessions. What an amazing phenomenon to witness the revelations...lightbulb moments that occured all because a group of strangers , not friends or family, came to identical conclusions after one member's sharing time. "Yes, Mary, you are thin skinned, yes, John, you're very stubborn, etc." The very things causing issues with family and/ or friends, criticism they'd turned deaf ears to and were unable to accept , suddenly gave them pause, even bringing on an epiphany .
    So. Receiving opinions here from strangers affords a golden opportunity to explore traits you may not realize you have, or been unwilling to own. Some here will tell it as they see it, and that just may be a blessing.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Haha Marlene, it's only meat, bread and vegetables and a dairy, a complete meal. I love burgers.

on 17th avenue in Calgary, you would find Clive Burgers , another of my favorites...

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

I am going off "the grid" here but Mitch...is there a decent restaurant at the Airport. My friend will have a 7 hour layover.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Martinca, I have often thought about posting personal issues here just for that reason, to tap the combined intuitive and cognizant knowledge for relational problem solving. But, no. Although, in theory, it might be quite helpful.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

marlene, I answered your question in your Calgary thread as to not to derail from the grid...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

There are several reasons why people may remain silent when a todo starts up...they don't want to fuel the fire...they don't want to take sides...they are embarrassed by the goings on and hope it will just die on its own....they don't perceive it as being a big deal...todos are not what they came here for.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It was removed. I got an email from the forum saying that it should go to hot topics. I honestly didn't feel it was a hot topic at all but I have to bow to the decision the forum made.

I was embarrassed that it caused such an uproar and I can tell you I am going to be very careful about what I post in the future.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I looked for it the following morning and I was stunned that I couldn't find it. I checked my email and I had one from the moderator of the forum that it belonged in hot topics. I disagree with that though because I didn't think it was all that controversial. I was embarrassed that it seemed to take a downhill spiral but I never would have asked it to be removed. WTBS, I admire the moderators as it must be a difficult task to not offend. This is a free forum so I feel they have every right to do what they will.

Maddie Lee, I don't think what you said caused it to be moved so absolutely no apology is needed. I am grateful to be part of this forum and I value all of your opinions. This world would certainly be a boring place if we all agreed.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think the limit of 150 comments should take care of a thread that spirals into a heated "debate". I don't agree with them being pulled.

Some people don't like confrontation and argument, and they don't participate. But others have personalities that do like such debates, and I don't see why they should be quashed. A lot can be learned from such debates.

And still others, like Bumblebeez, are amused by the soap opera threads. Her comments here made me laugh, and I agree with her entirely.

Harmless, even if vitriolic, should not be silenced, IMO. At the same time, I think it's really cool that GW even HAS a place, Hot Topics, for such people to air their strongly-held opinions.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think the Grid thread was pulled too fast. The Conversations side of the forums typically gets the Discussion regulars, but now with the Recent Posts sidebar, you never know who might pop in, so any topic could go a little wacky. Holly-Kay, I'm sure you never dreamed someone would see the issue as a political and religious one.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Can't see how it could become religious ,but can definitely see how it could become political. The grid in this country is completely wrapped up in politics. But so what?

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

Because in the rules of play (there was a topic about it recently), it says we won't discuss politics and other controversial things on this forum. I got a warning about it once. (I started a thread about a controversial topic). For whatever their reasons, the owners want that to stay on hot topics, as others have said above.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think Holly's intention was to talk about how to prepare if we do go off grid, which isn't controversial. The moderators could have removed the few posts that got into political and religious opinions.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

yes, I think you are right, mayflowers-

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I know that is what her intention was. I also can see how a topic having to do with the grid could provoke some responses involving politics.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Disaster prep, highly charged topic!

Thanks for filling us in, Holly Kay. Surprising it is a hot topic and someone else had it pulled.

Our outage for last year's snow storm was hard enough. I think it is a good topic. A variety of things could cause shutdowns.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I suggested in the pulled thread that the grid is old, overloaded and will more than likely wear out and take itself down without much "influence" beyond that.

Yes, there are storms and localized outages, but the entire system might be on borrowed time.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Snookums, we were without electricity for four days last winter. Even with generators it was far from a pleasant experience. DH had to bring the large tractor to the house to run the largest generator. This year I am bringing several deep cycle batteries home from my shop to hook to an inverter to power our phones and computers.

I am praying we have an easier winter this year but I feel we are better prepared than last year.

The year of Hurricane Sandy I had a nice stock pile of D batteries at my shop. I must have been the last one standing as Home Depot and Lowes were sending their customers to me and another battery store came in and purchased 12 cases from me. I was also able to send quite a few cases directly to the affected area via a church group.