Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellendi_gw

Annie, your recipe

ellendi
10 years ago

Annie you've mentioned your pumpkin chiffon recipe in the Thanksgiving thread, would you share it?
TIA

Comments (6)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Happy to...got rave reviews at yesterday's dinner.

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

Baked 9" pie shell (frozen or make your own)
    1 env. unflavored gelatin
    1/2 c dark brown sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2 eggs, separated*
    1 c evaporated milk
    1/2 c cold water
    1 1/4 c canned pumpkin
    1/4 c dark brown sugar

Combine gelatin, 1/2 c brown sugar, salt and spices. In a double boiler top, beat egg yolks, then stir in milk, water, pumpkin, then gelatin mixture. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly for 10 minutes. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally until as thick and syrupy as unbeaten egg white. Beat egg whites until fairly stiff; gradually add 1/4 c. brown sugar beating until very stiff. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour into prepared pie shell and refrigerate until set. Serve plain or with whipped cream.
    ---------------
    *if you are concerned about salmonella, use pasteurized eggs as the whites don't get cooked

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie!

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Ellendi, I just saw this after posting about pumpkin chiffon pie on the other side in the turkey thread.

Dh's family has been making this pie for years. Their recipe is quite different (I'll have to try Annie's next time and see which I prefer). I wanted to add though that dh's recipe calls for a gingersnap crust and it is delicious with this pie! If you would like to try the pie with that crust rather than a regular pie crust, here is the recipe for the crust that dh's family uses with their pumpkin chiffon pie:

1/2 C ginger snaps, finely crumbed/crushed
    1/4 C sugar
    1/2 C melted butter

Mix together and press into pie plate. Chill for 20 minutes before adding pie filling.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Yum...never thought about ginger snaps but that sounds really good.

My pies had some leftover filling which I put in a bowl for "crustless" pie...which we eat with a hunk of graham cracker which is also good. So I imagine a graham cracker crust could work too.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Annie, my dh makes this pie every year and for years, he was too lazy to make his own crust with the gingersnaps, so he used a ready-made graham cracker crust. I never liked it with that crust b/c it would get really soggy from the filling (he'd make the pie the day before). Because of that, I never liked the pumpkin chiffon. This year, he finally made it with the gingersnap crust and it was really good as the crust stayed firm and the flavor blended so well with the pumpkin filling. I'm not going to let him make it with graham crackers again (though I think if you made it and served it within a few hours of setting, it would be fine). Dipping graham crackers in the leftover filling sounds good though!

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fourkids, thanks. Do you use the same chiffon recipe as Annie?

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors