Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sallymo2015

Need ideas for display in retail shop

sallymo2015
10 years ago

We will be relocating our store in another month! Very excited, even if it's only about 600 sq ft more than we have now. There will be much taller ceilings, so placing our wall art will now be fun, and not a burden. However, since we aren't going to go in debt to add some display items, or buy a bunch of inventory right now, I am trying to think of inexpensive ideas to display our decorative items. For example, lamps, vases, etc. I'd love to hear some ideas from you, I think the stress of the move is working on my creativity---I'm not coming up with anything that's very inexpensive! We'll add inventory that will help out, but that's probably a few months down the road. I also think it looks nice to have a mix of things----old with the new---as far as display is concerned.

Comments (6)

• teacats
    10 years ago

Check out your local Craigs List -- it is amazing what kinds of armoires and tables and shelving that folks are selling! Everything from antique (at all price points) to Elfa systems and Ikea items .... to farm items like steel water troughs etc.

Take a look around your own home (and friends and family) and see what items you can borrow ... from home and garden and garage .... tables, nightstands; ladders; bakers racks ....

Also check out metal garage shelving from stores like Walmart, Lowes, Ikea (wood shelving) etc. -- you could use the steel ones up front for an Industrial Chic look -- and then use it in the back room for strong storage too ....

And don't forget the classic "stacked bricks-and board" shelving ....

P.S. when you display lamps and vases -- don't forget to have the price and dimensions on a readily-seen-and-available card so folks don't HAVE to pick things up to look for the price! :) Drives me crazy in stores to have to hunt to find the price -- and the information ....

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

SallyMo, I'm not sure if this idea will work as I've not seen photos of your current store or know what style your merchandise is, but could you build some inexpensive wooden crates from plywood and possible pallet wood? Something like they use at HoDe at the front of their stores for special sale items.
    I couldn't find a photo exactly like theirs but here's an idea. You could stack them like stairs in order to see more items.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I just thought of another idea after reading Teacats answer. Look for farm style dining, coffee and end tables as they can be stacked and used for display and they are often found on CL for a great price.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I have a space in an antique mall and I like to use large books~they make great risers. Stack several if you want items higher and on levels. I also like to do my displays all in one color because I feel it makes more of an impact. I have blue, purple, yellow, pink, white, and black with crystal, glass , SS plate, and brass as my 'bling'. I also look for scarves to use on surfaces, or will buy a yard or two of fabric, depending again on the amount of space.

Imger a lot of compliments and am constantly being told 'I have a beautiful booth.' It gives me the drive to strive and make the 'vignettes' always somewhat different which boosts sales too.

• deegw
    10 years ago

Pendants flags or bunting could help fill up the ceiling and wall space. You could use colored, patterned, glittery, etc. Etsy has tons of different kinds.

Scrunched up or draped burlap or painters canvas would be an easy way to add interest to a display.

Please show us some pictures of your new space.

This post was edited by deee on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 21:15

• sallymo2015
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the ideas. teacats, I have been on Craigslist a lot the last few weeks, and I think I found a nice lighted shelf from a local wig shop going out of business, but otherwise, it's not a great resource for my area like it is for many of others on the forum. And yes, our own items are used already: extra dining tables, my bedroom armoire I was trying to sell but didn't! justgottobeme, I like the stacking idea too, that is if the floor area is enough extra. patty, we do a good job displaying too, it's just the pieces to display on that I'm lacking. dee, I think our walls will fill up fast with the things we have and an big order we have waiting to ship after January. My only photo doesn't show much, it's all open, very tall ceilings, pendant halogen lights (that aren't giving as much light as I was hoping).
    I'm reading up again on traffic flow in retail shopping. I did a lot of reading when we first opened, and our small size didn't leave many options. I had a lot of suggestions from people on this forum back then, too. It was good to hear everyone's feelings on shopping, I sure have some myself!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES