Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

Tea stains and hard water

hhireno
9 years ago

Does the softness or hardness of the water factor into how badly tea will stain mugs? Or is it the old dw is just not cleaning them thoroughly?

At my regular home we have very soft water, and a new dw, and I rarely have tea stains in my mugs. At my second home, with hard water and an old dw, every cuppa tea stains the mug and I have to hand scrub it before putting it in the dw.

Any advice on how to prevent or easily remove the stains? It doesn't seem to happen with coffee, or maybe it's just that I don't drink coffee so I don't notice.

Imagine what that tea is doing to my teeth. Oy.

Comments (16)

• gmom2-6boys
    9 years ago

I don't know the water condition but I'm a tea drinker. I clean my cups with baking soda. I keep it in a spice container and just shake a bit on my dish cloth. Works with my cookie sheets and pots & pans also.
    gmom

I'm

• User
    9 years ago

I can't help but post my chuckle....

Your "old dw" in your post keeps reading as "old dear wife",not "dishwasher".

I never laugh any more. I laughed here. Sorry but thank you.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Did you switch detergents ? that might make a difference.
    I rented a condo once where they had a more gentle eco friendly detergent ( can't remember the name) and tea stains would not go away.

emerald, that is funny, I thought about that for a second...

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Are the mugs the same at both locations? I have some cups that stain faster then others. A quick wipe with a Magic Eraser before putting them in the dishwasher does the trick.

ML

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Ditto baking soda for cleaning the cups. And yes, hard water definitely makes a difference.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emerald,
    Nothing to be sorry about! I'm glad I could provide you a laugh; we all need a ridiculous laugh now and then. I will, henceforth, refer to the old dishwasher as old dear wife.

I'm glad to know that hard water plays a part, I thought maybe I was crazy. And maybe I am about other things (don't get me started on the linens here) but I'm glad to know that hard water is, well, harder.

I like the idea of a shaker full of baking soda. I will add that to my shopping list for next time I'm here.

The mugs are different here and I use the same detergent in both places. I wish I had the same mugs at home, they're a great size and shape. My BFF bought them when she bought the Keurig for me.

Thanks for the affirmations and advice.

• annac54
    9 years ago

We have hard water here, and I was not happy with the way the dishwasher was working. I now add a couple tablespoons of a powdered water softener with each load and it has helped quite a bit. I don't get the hard water scum that I used to. I don't know if that will help with the tea stains, but it should make your detergent work better. We don't have a water softener as they are not allowed here unless you have the kind where a commercial service exchanges the tanks.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I drink green tea and supposedly Dao Ren green tea stains less. I can't say for sure but I like the flavor so that is the tea I have been drinking.

I recently tried different dw detergents and came back to Finish powerballs. My cups stay much whiter than with other detergents.

Our water is slightly hard.

• User
    9 years ago

We have hard well water and had similar problems with a kitchen aid superba dishwasher. I replaced it last year with a Miele that has a built in water softener and now our dishes are sparkly clean, like a dishwasher advertisement. However.....the salt for the dishwasher is $13 per box and can only be purchased online! I am using about a half box every month. But our dishes are clean.

Edited to combat autocorrect!

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 15:07

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Another possibility is to install an RO filter for the water used to make the tea. The Britta filters, etc., do not work for this, but when I make (made; we need to install one in our new kitchen) tea with RO-filtered water, there was no scum left in the mugs. This prevents the scum from forming.

Of course, the general cloudiness from hard water will still be an issue with the dishwasher.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

I wish I had the same mugs at home, they're a great size and shape.

==>>> uhmmm... take them home.. and go buy some dark mugs for the cottage ...

problem solved...... lol

ken

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

We have very hard well water here too. We renovated the kitchen and our new dishwasher leaves my glasses and tea cups and mugs sparkling. I use Finish Quantum now and I think that is what made the difference.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

We have pretty hard City water. I occasionally Lemi-shine. It worked good! Available @ ACE's & other places.
    There's a dedicated dishwasher-cleaner, & a combo DW detergent/cleaner. I used the combo product. Softens water while washing....as does...

20 Mule-Team Borax!
    Obviously, this stuff has been around forever!!
    Link below has tons of info. on it. I've used it in the laundry.
    It's also effective for some insect-control!!!
    (Don't worry!!! It doesn't work CHEMICALLY.)

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Borax info...

• violetwest
    9 years ago

magic eraser works the best.

• HU-511869864
    5 years ago

I see this is a very old post but it has to be the water. I have discovered the same thing. Previously the stains would be with every use. We moved and have a softener and haven’t had a stained cup at all.

• HU-442612353
    2 years ago

I have just been using distilled water and the mugs are clean. Yay...No more scrubbing spoons and mugs and getting lime. Thanks everyone for your opinions!