Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancybee_2010

Buy a house where there was a murder?

nancybee_2010
10 years ago

This is creepy, I know. Hhireno's thread about houses having souls made me think of this, but I didn't want to hijack her thread.

So if something terrible happened in a house, would you immediately reject buying it? I don't believe houses have souls, but I'm not sure I would buy a home like this... does a home keep bad vibes or spirits?

Comments (31)

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

I don't think I'd want to buy a home with a history of that nature simply because that is what I or others in the area would associate it with.

There's a home a few miles from us where a young married gal died in a struggle with either her father or her husband - those were the only two present, but neither was convicted of murder. Since there was no closure then I would not consider buying that home.

But if there was some closure regarding the circumstances, and the place had no telltale signs and the place was newer and not creepy and in a desirable location I might consider it--at a discount.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

My first thought was Phil Spector's mansion. The truth never really came out, at least details. His house was creepy before he took her life. You couldn't get me to even visit.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I don't know...maybe. I guess I would have to visit the house and see how it felt to me.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Like Fun2BHere I'd have to view the house to see how it felt. There was a horrible multiple murder in a house in this area and the house was on the market for a long while. I had the occasion to speak with the woman who bought it and she said it had been blessed by a Priest and it felt fine to her.

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

anele, I had no idea a website like that existed. wow!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

We would buy the Amityville Horror house in a heartbeat if we could afford it.

I have a relative who died in a murder/suicide. The house sat on the market for a little while, but it did sell.

• chispa
    10 years ago

There is a big difference between a death due to murder, torture, etc. OR a death due to old age, cancer, disease, etc.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Nope. I've watched too many scary movies!

There is a house in the town next to ours where there was a multiple homicide. They recently bulldozed the house and a new one is being built. I still wouldn't buy that one!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We had the old house here that was built in about 1790. I'm sure over the 200 years, there were both many births and deaths in the home (a family friend says his aunt was born there and we met another woman who was born there in the 1870s). That's true for anyone living in an antique home. Both DH and his mother believed it was haunted...we used to tease about "Pinky" which is what she named the ghost. But it never stopped us from being in the old house and there have been no "manifestations" in the new house.

Of course, it's not the building, but whether or not by being there, you could ignore what you knew about the events that happened there. If you didn't know, it wouldn't bother you at all.

They have chosen to tear down the Sandy Hook school and they will be pulverizing everything so no one can take "souvenirs". It was simply that the reminder would be too painful to too many to keep it standing.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

DH and I also joke that every ghost, horror show, etc. is usually some old, interesting house. No nondescript 1960's ranches like ours or tract homes, LOL.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I'm an old house junkie. Aimee and I went on a driving tour of the houses we lived in while raising her. They are all fine homes now but I never thought to ask for the history of the houses. I assumed good energy.

Newer homes make me feel like I'm in a motel, at worst, or a spa, at best. They make me feel lonely. I lived in a new home one time, for two months. I called it 'Rancho Moderno'.

I purchased a car directly from the family of someone (local judge with family connections) who comitted suicide inside it using a vacuum hose. I drove that Volvo for years without thought. It was a great bargain and I decided I would be human sage.

I lived in the house in my picture for six years. Great memories here.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Our home was built for us on virgin land here in the mountains of New Mexico twenty-one years ago . . . and ended up being haunted by a Native American man who was murdered on our land more than a hundred years before. This murder was unbeknownst to us ~ or anyone else as far as I could find. But I only made discrete inquiries around our village, as I was not about to start telling people we had a ghost in our house!

I personally, never saw him but a number of others did, and not once but many times over the years. My mother first saw him while she was staying here with us when DD was born 19 years ago. He startled the heck out of her, but Mom has had those types of things happen to her throughout her life and didn't panic. She told DH and myself the next morning but, of course, never mentioned it to our then 10 year old son.

Years later, though, an uninformed overnight guest awakened to find "an angry Indian guy" standing in the corner of our guest room with her and brought the house down screaming. Poor thing! Yes, it was the same guy.

That's when we knew we had to do something and soon. After some intensive research, I found a well-known psychic/medium and begged him to help us. He came to our house and actually saw the ghost who was standing in our DD's bedroom at the time. To this day, we've still never told DD where the psychic encountered him. We wisely arranged for her to sleep over at her friend's house the night the psychic was coming to our house. As far as Emily knows, he was found in the guest room again.

Anyhoo, the psychic communicated with our ghost, convinced him that he was dead, that we had nothing to do with his murder, meant him no harm but wanted him to please move on "to the light". Our ghost has, thankfully, not been seen since then. Obviously, though, we don't mention our ghost saga to any overnight guests. No use spooking them unnecessarily. DD still would never agree to sleep in there. We just keep our fingers crossed that he doesn't return.

So, would I ever consider buying a house where a murder had taken place? No way!
    Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 18:50

• dgranara
    10 years ago

Personally, I don't think I could/would live in a "murder house" (comfortably, anyway). As AnnieDeighnaugh said, any older house is bound to have had deaths occur inside. I'm sure my 1894 house had it's share - it was used as a small hospital for a time, which probably increases the likelihood.

My brother-in-law, like my husband, flips houses. He bought a murder-suicide house at auction. I was legitimately worried for him that it wouldn't sell. Its sold in days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Murder House

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Wow! Amazing stories. I personally would never purchase a house where a murder had occurred, but that's just my personal opinion.

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lynn, that is fascinating!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Fascinating now that it's over and he's gone. Back then it was creepy. It's been over 5 years and I can finally laugh about it . But, our neighbor was just telling us we should watch this great movie (DVD) she saw last weekend, "The Conjuring". She has no idea what we went through and there's no way I'd watch that movie! Our guest room also works as my study, and I don't want to be afraid to work in there. I try not to think about the fact that our ghost was also seen in DD's room twice (LOL).
    Lynn

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I guess it takes all kinds. In our area a couple of decades ago, a fellow murdered his wife, was convicted, and did his time. He was finally released, and he remarried! I'd have a lot easier time buying his old house than buying him!

Yech!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I don't think I could live there, not because of a spirit, or bad vibe, but because I would think about it every time I was in "the room". My mom had to get rid of her bedroom furniture after my dad died in their bed, and a friend had to sell her car after her husband died of a heart attack while driving it (she was there when it happened). She kept the car for awhile, but she couldn't get past the memory.

golddust, that house is gorgeous! It is built onto that rock?

This post was edited by marti8a on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 20:08

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I could never live in a home where someone was murdered. I'm not sure why but I just couldn't.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

My gut says no, probably not but it might depend on the house. And the event that took place in it. And how much I knew about the event.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Lynn-- that is amazing and I'm glad it sounds like he made his way to peace! On another note, I had no idea your house was a new build. Just a testament to your wonderful design sense-- your house has so much character and looks like it "evolved" over many decades.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Thank you Anele!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"Buy a house where there was a murder?"

Nope! Don't want to be thinking about anything like that.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

It depends on who did the murdering.

If it was anything/anyone like what I just saw in Paranormal Activity 2 there would be no way. I should not have watched that when I was home alone!

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deedee, I never watch stuff like that when I'm home alone! Or even if I watch while someone's here, I'll start thinking about it when I'm alone.

One of my daughters is the opposite- she could (and did) watch the Exorcist while home alone!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Nancy I've never seen the Exorcist and never will. When it first came out I told my friends I wouldn't go because I felt just watching it exposed you to the devil. Not sure I feel that extreme about it now, but I still think so movies and even TV shows are better off not watched. But then I watch loads of cop/CSI type shows and I've not become desensitized to murder. Ofcourse I still close my eyes to all the gory stuff.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Since a full disclosure is necessary when selling a house these days, does a suicide or murded apply to that ruling? I sure would want to know since I'm a believer of spirits, and wouldn't want any bad energy which could possibly come with a house under those circumstances. Even if it's been 'cleansed', I think there would always be a creepy feeling knowing you're living in a house where such a horrific act has taken place. I prefer new, although I've lived in a new house we suspected was haunted because of the land, not the house itself.

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

justgotabme, some of the shows now are ridiculous in how gruesome and graphic they are. I like cop shows, and I close my eyes for gory scenes too!

patty cakes, I googled that and came up with something called "ghoul disclosure" in real estate. There are lots of articles about it! Varies from state to state.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

When we sold Mom's condo, I had to sign a disclosure and wrote in "not to my knowledge". How the heck was I supposed to know if anyone died there? I only knew Mom didn't and neither did the person she bought from. But it's a senior condo that's been around for several decades...who the heck knows?

• dedtired
    10 years ago

N.O. I would think about the murder and gore every day. There's a house near me where there was a murder-suicide many years ago. The house has been totally remodeled so it looks nothing like the original house. I still think of that event every time I drive by. Brrr.

Silly as it sounds, I did not even like to think about the previous owners of my house having their bare bottoms in the tub. Yes, I know that is crazy. So glad I finally remodeled and got rid of that tub.

Now, if the house were a beauty on a large lot with a private beach and an ocean view for $50K, I might have to reconsider (and replace the bathtubs).

I watched The Exorcist by myself. I had to put a knit blanket over my head and watch from between the stitches. Another movie about haunted houses that totally creeps me out is Poltergeist. I'd happily live next to a cemetery, but not on top of the graves.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert