Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

About GW

violetwest
10 years ago

I'm know this has probably been discussed before, but what do youall know about GW itself? There doesn't seem to be an active moderator, or at least one that participates, although I've reported spam posts before and they get deleted. Is there an actual person or company behind this?

But, most of all . . . has anyone tried to get all these little separate forums consolidated? Why are there so many? It drives me crazy!

So many forums, no one has the time to look at all of them, and many of them get post after post without any response. So many people looking for help and answers and never get any because of this set up.

Comments (21)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I think the variety of forums were started many years ago.
    Maybe some should be eliminated or updated with a name change.
    There are only a few really active forums on the Home side. I don't participate in the garden side, but I am sure that there are many forums that are not visited at all.
    How would you go about making a useful change?

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Yes, GW has a long history. It was created by the wise and powerful Spike. It was kind of a simplistic creation and monitored by Spike's heavy hand. If you ever see the term " a ride in the teacups", that was Spike's way of banning you from the forums for some infraction. When you tried to get on a forum, you were diverted to the Disney site! Ask me how I know. ;)

Then GW was purchased by iVillage and iVillage belongs to NBCUniversal.

The moderator is GW Tamara, and she does occasionally pop up on the boards and even attended a get-together once. She has been very responsive and I think she does a good job. If you go to the Kitchens Forum there is a "sticky" post at the top that she posted regarding posting pictures.

I agree that some of the forums need to be deleted. There are three I check regularly and a few more I pop in once in awhile. Sometimes I go the the Gardening side when I have a question along those lines. I also go the the Glyphs section, to the Readers Paradise forum. That tends to be a small but active group.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sure the forums were just added organically as the desire sprung up. I think we need a rebellion . . . or at least a committee.

Perhaps we could ask if we could make recommendations to consolidate little-used forums.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I think there are many forums that may seem little used from time to time, but that have loyal followers. Many of the gardening forums are very quiet in the winter months. I am not sure why someone (or several someones-can you tell I am not a fan of committees?) who frequents one or several forums should be deciding which ones stay and which ones go. You can always contact Tamara. If enough people do that, she will probably address the issue. The thing about the gardening sites is that we do need many different ones-if you are a gardener, you understand. I have no problem with consolidating some of the others, but please leave our gardening forums alone! :)

• dedtired
    10 years ago

All the unused forums don't bother me, although I sometimes wish some of them were more active. However, the fact that they are just sitting there doesn't affect the forums that I enjoy. I just hope they never go away or charge a fee for use. I've been enjoying them for about 11 years.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

The forums that are quiet don't bother me either...and sometimes I am able to search one of the quiet ones and find the answer to a question I wanted to ask.

ML

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well, it does bug me -- for instance, the person who posted in the fireplace forum and got no answer. And the question I posted in the gardening with stone forum and got no answer. And all the posts in the Southwest forum have almost no answers. And it can be hard to decide where to post if you have a broad question. to me, it's a very klunky format.

ah, well -- I'm sure it's just a pipe dream.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I haven't visited all of them, but I'm surprised some are not more active...like the Retirement forum...since a lot of us seem to either be retired or close to it.

• User
    10 years ago

I think it's going to ruffle a lot of people if stuff starts getting all 'fixed' when it's not broke. GW did an overhaul not that long ago and this wasn't something I remember seeing being brought up as an issue when the moderator asked for site suggestions. GW made some positive changes such as the edit feature.

If the forums weren't well separated people would have to sort through more to find the things they're interested in.

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

Don't fix what isn't broke.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

I agree with " it ain't broke, leaver be!" I have been here about seven years , and have occasionally read complaints that the format is old fashioned? I love this easy to read and post format.
    OT, Dedtired, you've been here awhile,too. We're you always "dedtired"?
    Would you share your old GW name? I miss some posters and know a few (me ) have changed names. For example, Has sunnycottage left , or changed names again?

• redcurls
    10 years ago

Add me to the list of "if it ain't broke" people. I * VERY * MUCH * LIKE * the separation of the forums. Been here probably twenty years.....even back when we had to PAY. I suggest perhaps you try another site.

• deegw
    10 years ago

It is annoying to search out a forum, post a question and then check back and hear "crickets, crickets, crickets". But it's easy enough to jump on Google to find another place to get an answer.

I think the there would be an uproar if individual forums were modified. As mentioned above, many have small loyal followings or are used only seasonally.

I used to follow a very lively thread on the conversations side of an obscure garden forum. I'm sure there are many other friend groups hidden away in the layers of gardenweb.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

A lot of the forums were brought about from members requests. I agree that the garden forums are done well for the use of so many. It would be difficult to eliminate what we have now, but can see how wading through to find the best option for information would be a bit frustrating with no responses.

This is a personal opinion and one of experience, may not be a good example or one others may share. I started here when dedtired did. There were two forums which I loved and spent hours on them, now subtly inactive. They became ruled by a small number and many posters went away. On both the new posters or those who happily joined in, would eventually be targeted as if there was a right to potty mouth them or make them invisible by not responding to their posts.

Know of a few who I'm guessing may have had this same experience and migrated to Home Decor/Kitchens. They were part of the other forums I left and now see them here. I became very cautious with the rulers of the other forums to the point of changing my GW name and will never post at them again or use my original name elsewhere.

We have had a few of our own situations here where someone tries or does make another take a leave of absence or never be seen again. Here though, when it happens to one of ours, I see a gathering of support for them. It eludes me when someone has to tramp on another. This group has held firm in making all welcome and a respect for so many regardless of how long or new we are. And we have new and old posters who have given wonderful, skilled knowledge and usable advice.

Also, if I make a mistake or ramble on, there is no gathering together to kick me. I will be questioned on something, but always with respect and fully understood by me.

Well, I didn't answer your exact request. I think the silent, no answer forums have had their due in some way. Not sure if taking them away is the solution or how to resolve the no answer.

To all on the Kitchens and Home Decor forums, a thank you for your being kind and caring users. And I would love to see a gathering of "where are they now?". Many are not here that once gave such great advice and spent an enormous amount of time to make these forums what they are. I miss them and hope this group never changes.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well, it was just a suggestion, guys -- I wanted to take the temp of the older posters. It still seems kind of klunky to me, but not gonna rock the boat. Kind of offended that I was told to go away if I don't like it. How am I going to know if I don't ask?

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Violet I believe the suggestion was more along the lines of, if GW is not working for you there are other sites that might be more appealing - and that could truly be the case. You really might like the way other sites operate more and that's ok. It didn't sound like 'go away' to me. From what I can tell, you do seem to be involved here on this forum so it's just some of the less active ones that have you frustrated. Honestly, I get it. It is a pain to have a very specific issue and a forum that you think would address it appropriately, only to find that posts go unanswered and there is no activity.

Some of us post everything under the sun on this forum because we are comfortable here and familiar with many posters. And more times than not you can find someone experienced with just about any issue you could come up with.

Some people post in the specific forum then link back to here or another forum where they 'know' people and are sure to get a response. It's different ways to skin the same cat and it does seem to work for most here.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I forgot about the time there were subscriptions. It wasn't all forums though was it? I can't remember.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Martinca, I have almost always been Dedtired. When Spike banned me from the forums (sent me for a ride on the teacups), I reregistered under the name emiceekayeewhy. That only lasted a short time and somehow I was able to use Dedtired again. However I have never been able to use my old email address here. I had to set up a new account.

I got banned for accidentally spelling duck with an f rather than a d. The letters are right next to each other on the keyboard, for pete's sake. Innocent mistake, but I was off to Disney!

I was remodeling my kitchen and participated a lot on that forum when they began to charge use it, so I coughed up $15 for one year. Yes, some forums remained free.

Violet, I hope you stay. As you said, it was only a suggestion! There are some forums that have not had a new post in years.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Thanks, ded..somehow i thought you were one who'd changed names, I came on soon after the fee went away and , like you, began in kitchens. Now I 'll go look at the old timers thread.
    :) marti

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I chose emiceekayeewhy (M-I-C-K-E-Y) in honor of my trip to Disney.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

violet, your question was worthy, don't worry about it !

I think the paint forum was separated from decorating by popular request, but there are still tons of paint colour question in the deco forum.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm