Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Gifts for young adults

funkyart
10 years ago

Three of my seven nieces and nephews are between 19 and 23 are living in college apartments or their first homes and tight on money. I know they'd all prefer money for a Christmas gift but i so hate giving just money. I am looking for suggestions for fun but practical gifts or ways to combine a money gift that is still personal.

They all work to personalize their spaces and to make them homey. Each loves to cook and they've been thrilled with previous gifts such as a (beautiful) family cookbook, an ice cream maker, a panini maker, etc. My first thought was to give them ipads loaded with cooking apps but I don't i'd prefer to keep the gifts in the $100-$150 range.

Here are some of my ideas-- I don't love any of them but I am leaning towards the first.

1. A rosemary tree with gift cards and little trinkets (personalized to each) attached as ornaments. My sister gave me a metal tree with home decor/home improvement gift cards as a house warming gift and I thought it was darling. I could mix in smaller cards (like for starbucks or caribou) with some larger increment cards. But I am almost as loathe to give gift cards as money-- but at least, I could personalize the selection of cards and the additional "trinkets".

2. A warm throw (selected by personality) along with "money for the heating bill" (two of them live in regions that get very cold).

3. A cookbook and kitchen item with a (much more modest) money gift or gift card for a grocery store. I like the Brokeass Gourmet cookbook for at least one of my nieces. My nephew has already said he needs a big soup pot and one of the girls would love a panini grill. This would be a very "me" kind of gift to give but I know me.. I'll end up going over budget if I go this route. That's ok but only if it is "the perfect gift".

Or should I just suck it up and give them money? I have always been the aunt who gives them great gifts. Not necessarily extravagant but always something that spoke to their interests and passions-- and often that thing I knew they wanted but they wouldn't be getting elsewhere. I hate to abandon that approach now just because they are adults.

What are you giving the older kids in your life?

Comments (30)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

It is hard when they get older, but I try to find something interesting if I can. Here are a few items I'm buying for Christmas this year:

Nephew 1 - Set of faux logs that have a place for gel fuel cans because his condo chimney can't handle a real fire and gel fuel needs no venting.

Nephew 2 - Rolling picnic tote with all the serving pieces for four. He and his wife live near the beach and love to spend weekends on the sand.

Niece 1 - Set of 12 square Christmas plates and some serving dishes that will coordinate with her regular square white plates.

Niece 2 - Lighted Christmas village to display on her mantel.

I can sort of figure out something for those who are living on their own, but I have trouble with teenagers. I usually package up homemade cookies and include an iTunes card or maybe some beauty item for the girls.

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

Since you mentioned 3 cooking items (cookbook, soup pot and panini grill), could you give them all their preferred cooking appliance along with a gift certificate to Omaha Steaks or some other food entity?

Our adult kids like experiences so perhaps you could go to www.hireachef.com or look in the yellow pages or do a web search to see if there's a chef in their area and do a dinner for 4 type of evening.

Or do a gift of the month club. I did a variety one for my dad through Amazing Clubs amazingclubs.com so that for 6 months he got a different gift each month - cookies, beer, fruit, chocolate, cheese/crackers, etc. Something useful and to look forward to and to think of you each time it arrives. But you can choose the gift, duration, frequency, etc. by budget.

Our adult kids always like Amazon gift certificates due to the variety of items they can order online.

Note: I am not affiliated with any of the above mentioned places.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

If you dislike giving money then don't give money. I always appreciated that my grandmother gave us things. A cast iron skillet, a nice rice cooker, a staub soup pot, or a piece of art work (although technically it was an IOU, then she took us to her favorite gallery where she bought us the work we selected). But one of the best gifts I received in college was from my aunt. A box from the spice house which included a nice pepper and salt mill, gourmet blend of peppercorns, a mortar and pestle, a spice grinder, and about 40 different spices especially the exotic and expensive spices that I was loathe to buy myself as a college student. It was so nice and felt super luxurious on a student budget. My other aunt sent along 6 different cookbooks exploring different cuisines and a couple of gift cards for local eateries incase the date night cooking didn't turn out so well I could call in the Calvary.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for a number of great ideas!

Fun-- those are all great gifts. In fact, you've given me ideas for my bff. For many years, mom gave each of us a lighted house which the kids all love-- each has enough for a small village but I really dont want to tread on mom's ground.

Hilltop - I like all of your ideas-- in fact, I have given a cookies of the month gifts but now I send my own cookie packages to the college students. Never used omaha steaks but I'd definitely give some sort of gc with the cooking appliances if I go that route. LOVE the chef for a day -- but since two of them are in the boonies, I am not sure it's an option. Believe it or not, the oldest has asked for me to cook/freeze a few meals as his birthday gift for the last few years. He's a young professional living away from family and friends and it saves him time & money and I love to do it! Last time I gave him baked shrimp scampi, sausage and peppers, shepherd's pie and spinach stuffed shells-- all frozen with instructions and a basket with bread, pasta and an aged parmesan.

IHGS - you are thinking down the same path I have been. A staub pot and a good rice cooker were all well out of reach for me at their ages. I am so glad you mentioned the Spice House! I had planned to do that when the two oldest moved and it just didnt pan out.

All three have serious SO's so I think I like the idea of merging two of the ideas and making a date night package.. a movie or game and a selection of items to make a memorable meal. A "good" piece of cookware or appliance, spices appropriate to the cookware, candles, a bottle of wine (for the two of age!), a few special ingredients that they'd be unlikely to buy (good cheese, arborio rice, thai curry paste, a good olive oil, etc) and a gc to their local groceries.

I tend to like themes (corny as they are) so I'll likely personalize each around a kind of meal or cuisine.

This is a very "me" gift and something I know they'll each appreciate. I can easily see these gifts going over budget but that's ok. I often send them restaurant gift certificates "just because" but haven't done so lately. This can make up for that.

Thank you all-- I am excited to build each of their packages!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

My DH and I are the youngest in our families and had children later, so we have the same issue. Lots of teens and young adults to give to, while our kids were still easy to please.

Here's what I do, and it seems to be a hit. For example, on my side, I have 5 nieces and nephews, and we all get together. I used to spend About $100 each and agonize over it.

Now, I elaborately wrap up five boxes of the same size and shape. Each has a small gift in it, something silly like altoids or chapstick or somesuch. One has a check for $500, the rest have a joke or a cartoon. It's kind of like winning the lottery. It is a big hit. Every gets the excitement of opening it, and they get a laugh, or a quite serious, truly useful gift.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

The chef for a day idea reminded me of a long forgotten Christmas when my DB first got his own apartment. I made him a whole bunch of food for his freezer.

I made him something for each of the twelve days of Christmas. Then my sister and I wrote and recorded a song to the tune of the 12 days of Christmas. I don't recall all of the stuff, but I do remember the last refrain, which instead of "...and a partridge in a pear tree" was "... and french quiche in a tin pan". LOL

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mtn.. I love the idea of the "one grand box" gift but gosh-- while they are adults, they are still the kids. I'd be thrilled for one of them to get a nice, useful chunk of money-- but then heartbroken that they others received only altoids! That said, my oldest niece told me to wrap up the leftovers from my garage sale LOL.. so perhaps they aren't as focused on gifts as I thought!

LOVE the 12 days of Christmas --- it would be super (at least for two of them) except that they'll be staying with their parents who all have full fridges/freezers at the holidays. I am going to think about how to do a fun riff on the 12 days though-- 12 days, 12 gifts-- some big, some small.

I love where you are coming from -- especially because so much of the holiday fun has changed since the kids have gotten older (all seven of them). They are all gracious gift recipients but there just arent the same giggle and squeals that there were when they were young. The youngest is 12 and the oldest 23-- so until *they* start having kids, there's just not the same magic that there is when little ones are around.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think the youngest was 16 when i did that the first time. There were no long faces on the losers. People were pretty excited about the opportunity,and old enough at that point to laugh off losing. Not sure about a 12yo tho!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I'm just wondering if you would adopt my kids as your nephews and niece, funky. They have only one aunt/uncle who gives them Christmas gifts, and every year it's the same thing -- a $40 or $50 gift card. I'm not complaining and my kids are thrilled, but you seem like an extraordinary aunt!

I was going to suggest movie theater gift cards or Netflix memberships if they like movies. Could give a netflix membership with a supply of gourmet popcorn or something along those lines?

I have a 21 year old and for his birthday earlier this year, we gave him a 6-month subway/bus pass because he doesn't drive (and he lives in the city). I think he was a little disappointed at the time because it didn't seem like a "wrapped present," but he recently told us that it was the BEST gift. So for Christmas, we'll probably give him the same thing along with other practical items, since he just lost his job...agh.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aww Sue, thank you! It's a role I cherish!

I love the idea of a Netflix membership-- in fact, my oldest nephew (who I havent mentioned) has a developmental disability and he's terribly hard to buy for. I started getting him a yearly Netflix membership 5 years ago and he just loves it! In the old days, he loved receiving the dvds in the mail -- and returning them was a good exercise in responsibility. Now he streams them but still loves it. Unfortunately, none of the other kids was ever interested.

I do have one other idea that is a little unconventional-- all the girls would LOVE a trip to NYC. I've tossed around the idea of taking them all (younger and older) on a trip. The tricky thing would be coming up with an itinerary that would please all ages.. and that wouldnt break the bank.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

No to the rosemary tree, they don't last long at all. A nice piece of cookware, however, le cresuet or staub or even Mario Batali ( I love what I have of his) could well last a lifetime.
    I have bought le creuset vegetable and fruit pots- pumpkin, garlic, apple, off of ebay, (new) for not much at all. The Lodge apple pot is fantastic.

Don't give money. Presents are FUN!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

The apple pot is about 78 on Amazon, the staub pumpkin, 159. They should have those a very long time. I have both and they are wonderful to use.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I so agree, Bumble-- a good cooking pot is a dream and will last forever. I love my staub pieces and they are particularly great for the way my nephew cooks. I also love my all-clad petite braiser. in fact it's one of my "go to" wedding gifts. It's so adaptable and especially useful when cooking for 1-2 people.

a few other items I am considering.. zojirushi rice cooker & breville panini grill.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

My mom is giving my married kids a gift box from Omaha meat. It's good meat and consumable so they don't have to deal with unwanted clutter. She gave a box to my dh for his birthday, but it wasn't appreciated quite as much because we had just bought a 1/2 beef and had no room for it. lol

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

If you have the energy and the ideas for a gift, I say go for it. As for gift cards for a particular store/restaurant, I think they are a pain. Just listen to the statistics on the number of gift cards that go unused each year. In my house (2 college kids plus teenage nieces and nephews), cash is king.

• Jane_the_Renovator
    10 years ago

At that time in my life I moved a lot. Cash would have been the best gift for packing reasons.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hear you on cash-- I do give them a choice of cash or gifts for their birthdays. They always choose gifts but these are different times. One is stretching to make ends meet with his first job in an area where he doesn't have friends and family. Another is preparing to graduate with a crappy job outlook. I am sure they'd appreciate money but this is where I am torn. It's Christmas. I don't want them to spend gift money on the electric bill.. that's what parents are for. Gift cards can be a pain but they do appreciate and use them. I've only given them in care packages but they have used them. The last time I sent restaurant cards, one of them took a photo of her meal and the other called me on the way out for her "date night".

Only one of the kids is in more or less temporary housing. Neither of the other two are planning moves in the immediate future. They've raided my kitchen, furniture and artwork so I don't think they're all that concerned about accumulating "stuff".

I'll consider all your thoughts-- and perhaps I'll discuss with the kids. Thanks for all the different perspectives!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Unless the parents could tell you something specific they want, I would opt for cash or gift cards. Agree with Jane above....kids tend to move around a lot in their 20's...the less they have to pack and move the better. I have three in their 20's....and have also given grocery store and gas cards which they appreciate...also restaurant cards and Fandango.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm ok. I feel pretty good about kitchen gifts for two of the three based on previous requests and their love of cooking. They are also the two who are more focused on decor and making a "home". The third has a more temporary, semester-based housing and her interests are not as focused. She was very pumped to outfit a kitchen when she moved into her first apt in Sept. but I am not sure that will continue.

I guess my struggle with giving money is that it is so impersonal. It reads as "obligatory gift" rather than "specially selected for you". If I were in a position to give meaningful money, that would be a different story-- but as an aunt of 7, meaningful money isn't an option or appropriate. Of course, in an emergency, I'd help any one of them out just as I'd help out a sibling or friend.

Again, I've always been the aunt who bought them gifts to foster their unique interests. The things their parents wouldn't or couldn't give. Everything from tickets to the ballet to ice climbing boots. SLRs to guitars. I research and take my time selecting the best choice for their needs (and my budget). I am loathe to give that up just because they are now adults (or almost adults). Sure, the gifts may take on a more practical purpose but they're still the kind of things that are out of reach for them to buy themselves and not likely what their parents' would give. Perhaps I am projecting because I LOVE receiving gifts and miss the days when I received special gifts... but I don't think it's all me. When my niece turned 21 a few months ago, I asked what she wanted-- her reply was, "whatever you choose-- you *always* give the best gifts!" I don't think she was just being polite and gracious. I think they love the surprise and anticipation of what Aunt Funkyart is going to wrap up.

I know Christmas isn't all about the gifts but it's a time when I can gift them with something that shows I appreciate who they are.. and I care about what they enjoy and what sparks them. It's especially enjoyable when it's an interest or passion that we share.

Oh well. I guess I'll just check with them and let them decide money or gift. I do that with birthdays. However, even if I give them money, I will wrap a small, individually selected gift as well. This is important to me.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

Funky, it sounds like you have a good relationship. One thing I have always appreciated is when I get a gift that shows somebody really knows me, gets me or recognizes a need. Some other ideas to go with kitchen goods is perhaps gift cards to Whole Foods (if they have some in the area) or spice blends from Penzeys. Your family is very lucky to have someone so thoughtful in their lives.

• geogirl1
    10 years ago

This is so hard, but it sounds like you have done a great job so far! Here are a few things that fall into the category of, non-essentials, but nice to have, but would probably not buy it for myself kind of gifts that we've had luck with:

1) Noise cancelling headphones ($70 on Amazon)
    2) Large external data storage drive
    3) High end kitchen gagets
    4) A large entry mirror
    5) Wine of the month club

Good luck!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Even in tough times when money would be nice I think a gift is even more fun - at least to me. A gift is something I can use and not feel guilty about as it was a gift vs. money I would have to be responsible with it and it wouldn't go towards anything fun.

I think your fun and useful gifts you've mentioned seems like the way to go. Panini press sound like it falls in the category of useful and fun, but not something you would buy yourself if you got money and money was tight.

• daisyinga
    10 years ago

I don't have any ideas, but I'd like to say how very blessed your nieces and nephews are to have an aunt who loves them and cares about them the way you do. That is a priceless gift!

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

Funky, I'd just like to say I echo others who have commented on how lucky your family is to have you.

Your excitement and enthusiasm and love for your family is palpable.

Whatever you choose for your nieces and nephews will be perfect.

p.s. Where do I stand in line to get adopted by you :-)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I have 2 DDs in that age range and they like to cook.

I think they have received:

Good knives,
    Cast iron skillet,
    Kitchen aid mixers,
    Cook book from favorite local restaurant (Lidia Bastianich)

They also really like good makeup, which is expensive. So a Clinique or Sephora card for $100-150 would be a dream come true.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your ideas and kind words-- but you know how it goes. The blessings go both ways. The kids (all of them-- not just the older ones) are generous with their time and love to share themselves with me too. It's not the same as it was when they were young -- or as often-- but I cherish what each of them brings to my life.

I love the idea to give them good knives. It make such a difference and I remember how giddy when I was (in my 30s) when I *finally* got a really good knife. My then bf and I fought over who would be the sous chef! LOL

I also love the panini maker because it goes a long way on a low budget. You can throw in a little spinach, a little cheese, tomato, pesto, whatever and have a delicious meal. I like the breville which is definitely a splurge they'd not make for themselves.

I am pretty set on getting a good cast iron dutch oven or stew pot for my nephew. He uses only cast iron pans and he's asked for a good soup/stew pan. It's also a way to make the budget go far-- my gosh, I lived on soup when I was in grad school.

Sephora is also a great idea for the girls--SO great, in fact, that we've done that for birthdays or breakups or just because (pedicure, lunch and sephora!) :)

I will check with them to give them the option for money or a present but in the meantime, I am developing a plan for a different kitchen/cooking package for each. I think they'll prefer presents and that way, I'll be prepared.

Now onto the tweens!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

You are amazingly generous. What a great aunt.

My two oldest are adults and they laugh at the gifts that I get them at Christmas that they usually end up loving. Here's one idea.

I love my Zo rice cooker so I got my married dd and SIL the smaller version of the same. They thought I was nuts. That was 2 yrs ago. They now use it 3-4 times a week and love it.

I just got a 30% off coupon here and that would bring this rice cooker down to an affordable price. Let me know if you want the promo code.

Good luck on finding the perfect gifts!

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I have 2 nieces that both like cooking and neither has a hand blender or what some call immersion blender.
    I do not have one myself and just last week a friend of mine that has one says it is her most favorite small appliance in the last few years.

So maybe that is something they would love. The kids are really into smoothies and such.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great ideas-- and red_lover, that is exactly the rice cooker I was considering (i don't have one for myself either). My nephew's gf of 4 yr is asian and it's a cuisine they both enjoy cooking. I think he'd love it. Is that an appropriate size for 1-2 people? It seems large-- of course, sometimes a household that cooks for 1-2 cook for 4 or 6.

Lyban, you know, I use my immersion blender a lot also-- and could probably use it for more. I use it for soups and mashing banana and ginger (for banana bread and ginger muffins). I never thought of giving it as a gift though. Great idea!

Thank you for the continued flow of ideas. I don't know that I ever acknowledged IHGS for the suggestion of art but that's a great idea too. I am the primary source of the current art (gifting as well as passing on my own overflow). I do like this idea too.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Funky,

Yes, it works well for a small amount of rice. I got dd the 5 cup. Perfect for 2-6 people. It would be great for one person as well.

I have the 10 cup. I often cook small amounts in my large rice cooker. Perfect rice every time even with a small amount.

Promo code is Turkey30

Hope it's ok to post this!