Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Gift for 16 y.o. boy under $50

violetwest
9 years ago

am sort of at a loss -- he likes skating stuff and electronics, but most of that stuff is over my budget (since I have 8 grandkids). Can't give him money or gift certificate due to family er . . . stuff.

Ideas?

Comments (34)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Does he have a favorite sports team? Maybe a team sweatshirt or hat?

Have a tree planted in his name via an environmental group? This might have significance all his life if it came from his grandmother.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmm, no sports teams. The tree thing is clever, but . . . I think there are enough trees in Portland!

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Something like this-a quick phone charger for his cell phone. This was something that came in very handy when my kids were that age.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cell Phone Battery Backup Charger

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I always found the boys hardest at that age. Here are a few gifts I have given over the years..

- Books
    - leatherman/swiss army style toolset
    - backpack with water bladder
    - cool graphic tees (especially for a skater)
    - good quality ear buds
    - knit cap with ear buds.. bought one of these as a joke gift for the bf and he LOVES it. Uses it while shoveling snow, biking and hiking. I bought mine for a super cheap price on a holiday 25% off night.
    - good socks .. my brother still begs me to return to my tradition of giving him awesome socks. If your grandson is portland funky, he might love these mismatched socks from solmates. I

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey good ideas. I thought about a hat with bluetooth speakers, but they don't get very good reviews. Hat with earbuds might work better, though. Where did you get yours?

• ellendi
    9 years ago

He will be driving soon, so how about a gas card?

• deegw
    9 years ago

I would go to a skate oriented shop (Buckle or Pacsun) and ask them what the cool kids wear :) Fancy socks are popular for teen boys around here. You could also look at wallets and I agree with the suggestions of ear buds and graphic tees .

Good luck. I give crisp $50 bills to all the older teen boys in my life.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Would an iTunes card fall into the "no gift card" category? It is what my niece and nephew want every year!

• Lars
    9 years ago

If he is in Portland, an umbrella would come in handy, even if he already has one. I bought a black and white leopard print umbrella, like one of these in Portland in 1982, and I still have it, but then I seldom get to use it much in L.A.

If he likes hiking and/or camping, you might find something at Adventure 16 or a similar store. They have the best socks, and I agree that socks are a good gift. I love the hiking socks that I got, but they were a bit expensive at $16 a pair. Still, they are extremely comfortable and feel great when hiking.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Socks Addict hiking socks

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

What about a day with you? You could do that with each grandchild. A day going somewhere special or just out to eat. You don't have to worry about anyone else using the gift or the gift being a duplicate, or being lost or stolen.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Armitron Men's 20/4996BKSVTN Day/Date Function Easy To Read Tan Leather Strap Watch $41.24 + shipping

found on amazon

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ooh, I like those socks even better!

I think he wouldn't be caught dead with an umbrella -- Portland people always say only the tourists have umbrellas

I can't give $50 bills to this kid, gas cards, or iTunes cards. Again, family issues.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

a day with me would be great . . . but difficult, since he's 1600 miles away.

And kids don't wear watches anymore!

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Actually, watches are making a bit of a (ahem) retro comeback with kids but you'd want to know for sure that he'd want one.

I dont remember the brand of the hat I bought. I do know they were getting crappy reviews in general which is why I bought it as a "joke" gift for my bf-- the audiophile. Sure, he wouldn't sit and listen in the house-- but for outdoor activities, they worked fine for him. I bought it at Bonton-- a local mid-level department store similar to Macys.

There's no way in hell any of the men/boys in my family would wear those mismatched socks-- though I know some who would. There's no question-- they are a matter of taste (and spirit!) I always went for ski socks, wool socks or my favorite-- ragg wool for my bro.

Lot so ideas.. hopefully something flies. OH-- I bought my nephew a fly tying kit many years ago. Boy did he love that-- still does. Again, a great gift for the right person.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Hoodies are good. Skate shoes in his size. Woolen caps (beanies). Some boys do wear scarves. Also warm flannel shirts.

Tickets to a show at The Crystal Ballroom (see if theyd have an on call hold). Stainless travel coffee mug or water bottle that has a hook for attaching to a back pack.

Also agree PLAIN wool socks-skater kids won't wear those fun socks. And no self-respecting Oregonian will carry an umbrella. That is what Columbia hoodies are for!

Oh, see who his favorite Blazer is and get a sweatshirt. Ducks and Beavers gear is also popular.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Tooks dude! No really they love Tooks hats, hats you can hear! He will think you are very cool.
    My best friends son is a professional skater, tours, has lots of videos he is performing in, I watched him from a little kid to now, he is 30,and is very talented. We would go to the big skate parks and arenas to buy his gifts, lots of related items including clothes and accessories.
    But Tooks really are in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tookshats

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Magazine subscription in print or on iPad,
    My son who is now 27 liked popular mechanics and outside magazines.
    The rest of the $ in cash.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oooh, yeah. these are some great ideas. Knew I could count on you guys!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Tooks dude! No really they love Tooks hats, hats you can hear! He will think you are very cool.
    My best friends son is a professional skater, tours, has lots of videos he is performing in, I watched him from a little kid to now, he is 30,and is very talented. We would go to the big skate parks and arenas to buy his gifts, lots of related items including clothes and accessories.
    But Tooks really are in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tookshats

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I love those Tookshats and headbands and would get some for my grandkids. But it doesn't look they would work with apple products like iphones and ipods. No? And I didn't see an adapter offered. Did I miss something on the site?

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Some of the things we have done or are doing with our 16-year-old:

T-shirts of stuff he likes
    Grooming kit
    Leather toiletry bag
    Set of precision screw drivers (the kinds that work with electronics)
    Nice wallet
    Sunglasses

For the record, my son would never, ever wear mismatched socks. The hiking socks above look great and also love the idea of a backpack with a drink bladder although those often exceed $50. This year we will probably get DS a bacon cookbook and have considered a bacon gift pack. If there are food treats that he appreciates, you could just make an energy box, maybe include a nice water bottle too.

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

I don't think you could go wrong with a beanie or a hoodie. Does he snowboard? I ask because so many skaters here snowboard too. If he does, can ask if his parents if he wants new goggles, or snowboarding mittens/gloves, or snowboarding socks?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no, no snowboarding. yet, anyway.

I think I'm going to go with the Tooks Hat and maybe a graphic t.

LOL @ tishtoshnm -- BACON!

• party_music50
    9 years ago

ravencajun, thanks for mentioning Tooks! I just emailed my sister in another state to see if my nephews have them yet. lol!

Lots of good suggestions... I was also going to suggest a good pocket knife -- I love my Victorinox swiss army knife!

PS: funkyart, I would kill for those socks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 16:53

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

funky, I received socks like those in a gift swap last year and sort of rolled my eyes...until I wore them. I LOVE THOSE SOCKS.

Teenage boys are not easy to buy for unless you're buying expensive electronics or gift cards! But since I am the mother of a teenage boy, I can weigh in.

Definitely earbuds for iphone/ipod. My son is always misplacing or breaking his.
    Fun t-shirts. Target usually has a good selection of retro/funny ones; so does Urban Outfitters.
    Nice wallet. My DS was thrilled to get DH's nice leather wallet as a hand-me-down when DH got a new one.
    Nice pens/markers. I know it sounds funny but both of my sons have asked for them for Christmas.
    Fleece half-zip pullovers from Lands End. They're on sale regularly.

My guys also like getting movie theater gift cards, but I know that doesn't work in your situation.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Does his school have a webstore where you could buy school gear, apparel, etc.? Or, how about something from the university near you?

• golddust
    9 years ago

Ask him what brand of clothing he likes and stick to that. That is my secret for success with my 16 year old grandson.

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by peytonroad on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 14:11

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Ravencajun ~
    I just ordered 2 Tooks ... One for a 13 yo and one for a 22 yo. I might even order a 3rd for my 25yo !!!

Has anyone had first hand with a IFit as a gift ??

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Please educate me on the Tooks hat. I was looking at them and wondering where would a young person where the hat where it is appropriate to listen to music at the same time. We live in an area without a lot of sidewalks so we do not allow the kids to wear ear buds when walking the dog, etc. because they need to be aware of their surroundings (not only cars but snakes, stray dogs, etc.). If they were running on a track then it would be okay, if they had other people with them so I am just wondering. Would this be on the school bus?

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Based on my neighbors and people I see around here, they would wear that hat all the time. We don't have sidewalks so walkers & runners are in the street. With the cars. I still see everyone, except me, wearing earbuds.

Perhaps the craziest was a guy on a recumbent bike, so he's down low and easier to overlook. He was riding in the traffic lane of a busy road, not my little side street, without a helmet and wearing earbuds. Yes, a bike is entitled to use the street but doesn't he have to obey other traffic safety rules? And shouldn't he err on the side of caution since he has MUCH more to lose in a fender bender.

Maybe they figure, with more and more hybrid cars, you can't hear them coming so why not enjoy a few tunes up until your death.

I *almost* wish I needed a $50 gift for a 16 yo boy, there are so many great ideas here.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Check zulily - I just ordered some UnderArmour wicking (and antimicrobial so maybe they won't stink when he sweats) shirts for DS (whose 16th bday is this week so those may end up Xmas presents). A short sleeved running shirt and a long sleeved "long john" type shirt to wear on winter hikes with the Scouts.

All he asked for was a book that is the latest in a series he's been reading, we took him out for sushi this weekend (after he and I went to see Interstellar). Too bad you can't do gift cards, he loves to get iTunes cards.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tishtoshnm: urban streets and sidewalks walking or skating.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

I was really glad to read this thread, as I've been stumped for what to get my nephews for Christmas. I ordered a Tooks hat for the 10-year old, and I think he's going to really like it. He's very "techie" and I envision him wearing the hat in the car ... and even in the house. ;-)