Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Signing artwork

I've been painting for a few years, but haven't developed a signature for my work. I haven't shown any of my art, and what I've done so far is in my home, my husband's office and I've given a couple of pieces to my kids.

I'm getting ready to put a painting in an amateur show, and I haven't decided how to sign it. My full first and last name is kind of long, and not very "arty". I'd like to use just my first and middle names. My first name is fairly common, but has a slightly unusual spelling and my middle name is more unique and flows well with it.

I also kind of feel that since my first and middle names are the only names that I use that I have had since birth they are the names that are really "me", if that makes sense, even though most people know me by my nickname of Terri.

I've had two different married names (current and ex) and use my maiden name as the middle name on my passport, but my given first and middle names have been with me throughout my life.

So, after that long explanation, would it be okay to just use the first and middle names as a signature on my paintings? I'll sign and date the back with my full name though.

Comments (13)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I believe it is perfectly acceptable but then I plan on using my first and middle name if I ever get around to publishing a book I wrote.

I feel exactly the same Terri that my first and middle name is the real me!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

oh would love to see pics. I think you shared some awhile ago and it was lovely! I agree. first and middle is a good idea. I also use my initials (all three) from before I was married for many things so if it were me, I might do that (shhh don't tell anyone, but that is really ME :) )

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Anymore I sign my work with an artistic version of all my initials.

I see no reason you can't use just your first and middle name to sign your work. I do like your idea of signing the back of the work with your full name and date though too.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 19:30

• Lars
    9 years ago

I agree with putting your full name and date on the back. My brother signs his paintings that way and only puts two initials on the front of the painting or sometimes just the last name. A signature should not be a distraction from the artwork, unless it is the artwork itself.

When I made silk screen prints, I signed, dated, and numbered them lightly in pencil.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: old site with some of DB's art

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I use a totally different writing style and only my first initial with a whim at the end. Have always had two styles, one for notes, wriiting and the purist for legal docs. If this makes sense. This was due to a long and common name. Plus I figured if ever I became known, the signature would be too. I love the creative "writing" and prefer it to standard. I do like the name and date mentioned on the back.

• pattyxlynn
    9 years ago

Usually I sign paintings first and middle name. It flows better than adding my last name, IMHO. The exception was when I painted my in-law's Church. They wanted to hang it at the church for awhile. I wanted people to know it was painted by a Hillman. Not neccesarily me, just so that it would be connected to them. For sculpting, I entwined my first and middle name's initials into a design I liked and I stamp them with that symbol. That way they all have the same stamp. I do figurative sculpting, not pottery, so there isn't always a lot of room for a name depending on what I've sculpted.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the piece I'm submitting:

• hhireno
    9 years ago

That's fantastic. Good luck!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

ThatâÂÂs very nice Terriks!
    I think you should do whatever feels natural. When I was doing multimedia years ago I always signed my full name in bold print. As time went on and I switched to oils I started signing my full name in a cursive scrawl, the same as I sign check or documents. Not sure if thatâÂÂs good but itâÂÂs what I do.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I love your art, it's stunning and bold.

• pattyxlynn
    9 years ago

Nice work, Terriks! Abstract is one thing I haven't mastered and admire those who have. Good luck in the contest.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I'm not sure that I've mastered anything, lol. But I do enjoy the process. I also really need to take better pictures of my work!
    Fortunately this show will not be judged. (at least not to my knowledge) I belong to this gallery/art center, and every year members are allowed to bring in one piece for the members show, and it doesn't have to be juried. I think that it's sort of first come/first served, so when they are out of space they might turn people away.