Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Good place for makeup advice?

deegw
10 years ago

16 yo dd loves makeup but more often than not leaves the house looking "ahem" less than polished.

We've been to Sephora, Ulta, MAC for advice and products but the results have been mixed. I've done department store makeup consults before but usually end up leaving way overdone so I have avoided those for my daughter.

Are there any natural looking makeup lines or full service beauty stores that you can suggest for us to try?

Comments (13)

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Not a physical place, but a while ago Shee posted this make up site. This woman is a true make up artist, and shows how to do all sorts of make up, including the "no make up" make up look. There are also all kinds of You Tube videos to watch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maskcara

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Clinique makeup counter

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I would try a real make up artist. Around here, they are usually at spas, or you can find them advertised for brides. You would have to pay their fee, but I think you would get what you pay for and they will recommend products. I will say i I tried Chanel, and Clinique, and had much better luck at Clinique if you want the free route.

• User
    10 years ago

They shouldn't be, but sadly makeup counters are usually a miss around here. Like Terriks posted, I think Maskcara's blog is a great place to start.

There are a ton of videos out there.

Here's a girl that uses a lot of drugstore products.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/emilynoel83

I also really like these two but there's more advanced stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/pixiwoo

• happy2b…gw
    10 years ago

When my daughters were approaching the teenage years, I hosted a make-up/skincare get together led by a youngish Mary Kay representative. My girls and I invited several teen friends and their mothers. In addition to being able to sample different products and getting a makeover, the teens and moms received some good tips about skin care and make up application. The rep was more than happy to participate.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by riverhouse_designs on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 17:26

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

My friend took her teenage daughter to the Clinique counter and was very happy with the "natural" look she ended up with.

My DD is almost 13 and I'm dreading the makeup thing! She's Asian (adopted) with beautiful skin tone so I'm hoping she realizes she doesn't need makeup! Though I could see maybe a little blush and lip gloss...just seems like a lot of girls get carried away with the eyeliner these days. I actually noticed that one of her friends (7th grade) had eye shadow and fairly dark lip gloss on the other day and I was surprised -- I guess this is when it starts, though? My two older kids are boys so I haven't dealt with this yet.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Bobbi Brown counter. Very natural looking make-up. Also, you need to tell them what you want. Although they know how to apply make-up they are after all salespeople.

Once I got a bit carried away with extras and when the bill was added up, I was not embarrassed to say I did not want to walk out paying this much.

She deducted the extras and I left with the products I came in for.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I went to Merle Norman years ago...I guess they are still around. It's more about learning techniques than the specific make up. Though I do love mineral foundation.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I second Bobbi Brown. She is known for creating a natural look. They carry that line in Bloomingdale's.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

I brought DD and my DNiece to Clinique for their first consult and was happy with the result. I love Sephora and have a lot of "points" there, but realize it can really be hit or miss depending on the sales people. Bobbi Brown is good too, but their products are pricier.

Beth P.

• jshore
    10 years ago

I bought my girls Bobbi Brown's book for teenagers, I think it was called Teenage Beauty. They loved it.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Agree with Clinique. Go if possible when the store is not busy, like on a Tuesday night.

The sales person can explain the right way to wash the face, remove makeup without rubbing or tugging the skin, the importance of wearing sunscreen to protect from sun damage, and demonstrate basic techniques. My daughters are both really good about wearing sun screen and avoiding skin damage. This IMHO is as important for them to hear as how to apply the makeup.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Clinique is known for their clean, natural look. Took my 13 year old there. She was thrilled with her improved, utterly natural look, and not as pricy as BB, my cosmetic choice. We were lucky to have their traveling artist. Suggest you go to the highest end store that carries Clinique, vs. a Macy's.