Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizbartlett

Sometimes�..

lizzie_grow
10 years ago

Sometimes life is hard. I have so many people in my life who are dealing with difficult things�major depression, death of a child, death of a mother, serious illness, miscarriages.

I'm trying to stay strong & healthy in the midst of this, so people have a safe place to lean, but part of me wants to go to a deserted island with no cell service! Well, maybe not deserted�a nice place to stay where I can cook good food & maybe eat out some would be very nice!!

Ever feel like this?? I have a strong faith & a healthy lifestyle, but it still feels overwhelming. Well, off to a warm bath & then do a little Christmas shopping with my hubby.

Thanks for "listening"�..

Comments (6)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Your life may be issue free but when those you love are struggling of course it impacts you and can wear you out. Even more so when it's multiple friends and family. You're being smart in trying to care for yourself so that you have reserves available when people need you. It isn't a bad idea to take time for a little more self care than normal if that's a possibility for you. Not that I'm recommending escaping to a deserted island! But just what you're doing - a warm bath and time with your DH. Perhaps pick up something special for your bath while you're out shopping. And if you can swing it a weekend away is always nice. I'm sure your loved ones can feel your care and concern and are helped by it.

• lizzie_grow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aww,

Thanks, dlm2000. I think my DH & I do need a relaxing few days to ourselves. We went to Italy in Sept., which was mostly great, but felt stressful.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Yeah, sometimes it gets to be a bit much, but I gauge the seriousness of how I feel on how long it takes to get me out of my funk: for me, it usually is not long.

I've had friends I observed feeling really down for a long time and I brought up that fact to them, since it was lingering.

I hope your outing does you good !!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think it's helpful to understand that, when we are in the midst of trauma we can't always change perspective, but with time and a new perspective, we often discover that there were new and good things that arose from the pain and suffering. Things that we could never imagine. Things that would never have happened without the hardship.

As CS Lewis said, "God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world."

Changing perspective and seeing the situation from a new point of view can lend resilience to our situation and give us strength to deal with it.

I'm sorry that you have so many terrible events to deal with at once and hope you can find the strength and compassion to deal with the sufferings of those around you.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Lizzie, you sound like me in that you want to help everyone through their hard times and be there for them. And yes, it's a wonderful thing, but like Deb said, it's good that you are taking a little time for yourself too.

A dear friend who knows how I am sent an email about a woman that spoke to a crowd about stress. She was carrying around a glass of water held high. She asked how much they thought it weighed. They gave various guesses. She said no matter how little it weighed eventually her arm would hurt and she'd need to set it down for her arm to rest. She added that carrying stress was similar in that the longer we carry it, the harder it becomes. We need to set it aside and let ourselves rest from the worry.

I hope you keep making time for these little retreats to keep you mind and body healthy.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 9:58

• lizzie_grow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are so wise. I love the CS Lewis quote, Annie. I jokingly tell my adult kids that I have VERY small shoulders, hadn't they noticed?? I do tend to want to help others and have tons of empathy, but have to watch that I don't take on too much of their pain. That is the balancing part, and I will be mindful to rest from the worry.

Thank you dear GW friends!