Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Do you have a good smelling dog shampoo?

msrose
10 years ago

I've been using baby shampoo on dog #1, because I thought it would be good in case it gets in her eyes and it smells so good. For dog #2, I've been using an allergy shampoo, but I don't think it's working. They both still smell like wet dog after I give them a bath. Is there a dog shampoo that will make them smell good afterwards?

Comments (8)

• deegw
    10 years ago

DH bought some deodorizing shampoo for our dog that smells like a public restroom. I finally had enough and went to the pet store and opened every bottle and sniffed. I decided on Burt's Bees Soothing Skin shampoo which smelled clean but not perfumey.

We washed the dog yesterday. She still smelled doggy when she was wet but when she dried she was soft and smelled clean. Hopefully it will last.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Crazy dog wild cherry shampoo. Our giants have gorgeous shiny coats. Plus it smells good and deodorizes for 6 weeks. We usually bath our guys every 6 or 8 weeks.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I bought this one over the summer because our dog gets some kind of reaction to being on freshly mowed grass. I'm not a huge Martha fan but have to say I will buy this again - a soft, pleasant scent (dislike strong scents immensely) and it did seem to help with his itching. I try to bathe him every 4 - 6 weeks or so. There are other formulations also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart Dog Shampoo

• moonshadow
    10 years ago

I use fragrance free oatmeal dog shampoo because anything else seems to make my dogs itch like crazy. I like Foster & Smith's. I've used Aveeno Fragrance Free body wash (my soap) in a pinch. And if you want an after or between shampoo coat conditioner or skin soother, this stuff is awesome: Emu Oil. Not greasy and makes their coat soft and shiny.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I use Dr Bonner's liquid soap. You can get it at trader joes, target, or larger grocery stores. It comes in several varieties. It is very mild and really cuts grease and dirt.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    iheart - Do you have to order the crazy dog shampoo or can you find it locally?

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

I found it at both my vet's office and locally owned pet store. Although I know it can be ordered as well. It's about 7 for 12 oz at my local pet store. Online I think it's cheaper but I like supporting the local establishment. The cherry scent fades and becomes a great deodorizing shampoo afte the first 2 days. However if cherry ist your thing they have a nice rainforest scent as well as a piña colada.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Beautiful dog!!

I also use an oatmeal shampoo because my pup gets dry skin at times. It has a mild fragrance. She is groomed every 4 weeks and we take her shampoo with her. I don't let the groomer use fragrance products on her. I also have a conditioner in the same line. I'm not home and would have to look to remember the brand.

tina