Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

Honey Chipotle Pecans (per request)

natal
12 years ago

I mentioned on a Discussions thread that I'm planning on making the pecans for Christmas gifts along with pottery bowls for serving. Jen requested the recipe so here it is.

{{gwi:619226}}

Honey Chipotle Pecans

These are an addictive combination of sweet and spicy. My advice is to always make more than you think you'll need because they go quickly! Can be prepared up to a week ahead of time. Store in a sealed container.

2 Tablespoons honey

1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 cups pecan halves (the larger the better)

2 Tablespoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon sea salt

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a medium microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the honey, chipotle powder, and ground cinnamon. Warm through. (You can also do this on the stove over low heat.)

Stir nuts into warmed honey mixture. Still well to coat. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spread honey-coated nuts in a single layer. Bake until toasted and fragrant, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the sugar and salt in a small bowl.

Remove pecans from oven and allow to cool only slightly (no more than a minute or two -- you want them to still be sticky.)

Dump the hot nuts into a medium sized mixing bowl and add the sugar/salt mix tossing to combine. Spread nuts on cold waxed or parchment paper and let dry. It's best if they don't touch each other.

Serve, or store covered until ready to eat.

Comments (43)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I hope you don't mind but I just printed this off and it will join my Christmas recipes this year. I love anything chipotle and combining it with honey and pecans - well I have to try it. Thanks.

• paulines
    12 years ago

Natal, sounds and looks fabulous, I like that you can make ahead.

Here's another nut recipe, best served warm:

Union Square Bar Nuts

Ingredients
    2 1/4 cups (18-ounces) assorted unsalted nuts, including peeled peanuts, cashews, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans and whole unpeeled almonds
    2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons Maldon or other sea salt
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Toss the nuts in a large bowl to combine and spread them out on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until light golden brown, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the rosemary, cayenne, sugar, salt and melted butter.

Thoroughly toss the toasted nuts in the spiced butter and serve warm.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Paulines, I tried those this summer for the first time. Found the recipe on the Cooking forum years ago. They are best warm, but still not bad the following day. Next time I'll cut back on the salt.

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Natal,

Thank you for posting that recipe.
    I would love to try that for Christmas entertaining and as some hostess gifts but I must confess that I have never used or heard of Chipotle Powder.
    Does it come in a spice bottle like other spices and do I find it with the spices or somewhere else in grocery store.
    Thanks

• paulines
    12 years ago

We had them at the restaurant awhile back and they were really good - I haven't made them at home yet...been meaning to.

Natal, have you tried using other type nuts in your recipe?

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lyban, chipotle powder looks like cayenne or paprika. I buy all my spices from Penzey's, but I'm sure you can find it in the grocery store.

Paulines, no, just pecans. I'm bracing for higher prices this year because of the drought.

• paulines
    12 years ago

Thanks Natal.

I've linked another pecan thread below. It may be of interest to those trying your recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: current thread...

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Natal,
    Thanks for the info on the Chipotle Powder, I will look for it in the stores.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Thank you so very much, Natal! We'll be taking a batch of these to our family Thanksgiving get-together and I can already tell you they'll be a big hit! They're so pretty too!

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Mmmmmm, both recipes sound delicious! Have you ever made them with walnuts or almonds?

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

natal, you need to open your own little Louisiana bistro. Seriously. Every recipe you post makes me want to come hang out in your kitchen and see what's cookin' :D

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing, both recipes look good. I have a few different spiced nuts recipes but I like to change things up so I'll be trying both of these.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Also wanted to say thanks for sharing the recipes. I will definitely be making those for Christmas, if not sooner!

• jennifer_in_kansas
    12 years ago

I can't say you didn't warn me. They are addictive!

I just made 1/2 a batch. I reduced the amount of chipotle pepper because I'm kind of wussy when it comes to spicy things. Next time I'll make it as written. It's good but I can tell the sweet/spicy balance is off.

Thanks for posting the recipe

Jennifer

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I don't know whether to thank you or be mad at you for posting that recipe, Natal! It sounds delicious . . . and addictive (LOL)!
    I'm thinking that it will be perfect for giving as gifts for friends and for DD's teachers . . . if I can keep from eating it all myself! Out here in New Mexico we love our spicy foods and this one is so unique. Your idea of packaging them in special bowls is a great one. Thanks!
    Lynn

• lizbeth-gardener
    12 years ago

Thanks for the recipes. They sound like great gift ideas. I did see where the pecan price is expected to be $11.00 a pound this year because of the drought, so I may just try it for our family and save the gifts for next year.

• greenthumbfish
    12 years ago

Yes, thank you, they sound fabulous and I can't await to try them! But alas, if what lizbeth says is true, I may have to at least cut back the portions, yikes $11/lb.!

• maddielee
    12 years ago

I made these this morning to take as a hostess gift for a party we are attending tonight...I just sent my husband back to the store for more pecans, the batch I made earlier is missing a huge amount.

(Pecan halves at BJs are 9.99 a pound. A pound is more then enough for 2 gifts).

Thank you!

ML

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Y'all are very welcome. Always fun to share a good recipe.

I picked up 3 pounds of pecan halves today ... $6.99 each on sale. I was thrilled! Before that we visited an arts festival where I found cool little pottery bowls to go with the gift of spiced pecans for serving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomas Feyrer pottery

• paulines
    12 years ago

I just paid $10 for a pound of halves at a local store.

Pretty pottery Natal!

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Natal,
    Do you need my mailing address for sending me a piece of that beautiful pottery filled with nuts? Don't send it USPS, that hasn't been working out so well for others.
    Looking forward to my package,
    Jean

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I must have missed this gem of a recipe. Going on my turkey day menu for sure. Natal, in the even I cannot get decent pecan halves, what would you suggest as an alternate? I have yet to find good looking large pecan halves. Made a trip to Whole Foods last nite, but that was a waste. If I were doing them just for us, the lackluster looking halves would be fine, but for a holiday dinner or gift, I would like them to look as nice as the pictures you so kindly posted. Also love the idea of gifting for the holidays.

Thanks for sharing!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I made these yesterday and they are sooo good. Not many left. Thanks for the recipe.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

DH & I bought the pecans today at Costco for these. Next weekend is a big arts & crafts show we go to every year. I'm hoping to find some special bowls for them there. They're going to make great Christmas gifts for DD's teachers this year. Thanks again, Natal!
    Lynn

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Work, I'm partial to pecans, but maybe walnuts? The smaller pecans will work fine, but that means more of them and they can be a bit of a hassle when it comes to separating them to cool.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I made a double batch of them today and they are to die for. So glad I made a double batch (had to hide some so that they will last until Thanksgiving). The only thing is mine don't look as white as yours natal, next batch I may do more sugar/salt. It may be that I didn't let the coated cooked nuts cool sufficiently before tossing them in the sugar mixture. It's all good tho, they are the bomb.

Definitely a great homemade gift idea too.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

hhireno, lol I was going to say the same thing. I really like those pots. Great taste in recipes and in pottery too, natal : )

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Work, I think most of that was what was left in the bottom of the container I had stored them in. It just sort of sat on top when I poured them in the serving dish.

• jillinnj
    12 years ago

I made a double batch of these last night for Thanksgiving. They are really really good! I think they will be a BIG hit tomorrow.

Thank you natal for this great and easy recipe!

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jill, I'm hoping my gift recipients feel the same. ;)

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

If DH manages to pick up pecans for me today, I'll be making these this evening. I'm so eager to try them!

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

He just texted and said the store is out. Had they been in stock, though, they would have been $13/bag. Yikes! I guess the HCPs will have to wait until we can (a) find pecans and (b) justify the price of pecans. ::sigh::

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I haven't been able to find chipotle powder! Will another spice work as a substitute? I've been lookin' and lookin' for chipotle powder since you posted this.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ttodd, there's really no substitute. I order all of my spices from Penzeys or the Spice House. If you don't need it right away that might be a good option for you.

Penzeys Ground Chipotle Powder

Spice House Ground Chipotle Powder

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

ttodd - take a ride over to 9th St. (Italian Mkt). There's a great spice store, The Spice Corner, which is about 2 blocks north of Claudio's. She has a huge selection of every spice, tea, etc. you could want for. I buy all of my spices there. Some of the more popular spices are pre-bagged, but for the most part, they bag the exact amount you need so that you don't have spices sitting around losing their flavor. Just made a trip last week for my chipoltle powder, ancho chili powder and some Herbs de Provence for Thanksgiving. I heard the owner telling an out-of-towner that they have a webiste, but that it really isn't reflective of the array of items the store carries, and the prices aren't kept current.

The owner does such a huge walk-in business on 9th that the webiste isn't a priority, and I get the impression that she doesn't pay much attention to keeping it current.

I've purchsed some things from Penzeys too, but since I am in the city often, I just make a side trip over to 9th, picking up this and that for dinner or entertaining. I like buying my spices as I need them so they're as fresh as possible.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I had a great local source I'd take advantage of it too. I buy some spices in bulk and keep them in the freezer.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

MIL to the rescue! She came over to visit this afternoon and brought pecans with her, so I was able to make these this evening.

Oh Natal ... how am I ever supposed to refrain from eating them all before our get-together tomorrow? They're amazingly yummy!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Found it!!!!!

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Well I made my version of them, I didn't have any honey so I used maple syrup and I didn't have the chipotle so I used a teeny amount of mild chii powder. They came out fab and everyone was raving about them. I think they'll be a holiday staple from now on, thanks so much for the recipe.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yaya, I think you need to give them a new name, lol.

• Jennifer_in_KS
    7 years ago

Yes, I know this is an oldie but it's just so good.

When I make these I get 1) someone asking for the recipe or 2) someone's delighted announcement that "Jennifer brought her pecans!"

Gotta give props to Natal for sharing her recipe (wherever she may be).

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I agree...I love this recipe and didn't get any made before Christmas this year, but am making a batch tomorrow for NY Eve party. Natal's here with a different user name, so I'm sure she'll enjoy the props.

• Gigi Johnson
    7 years ago

This is one of my all time favorites from this forum and I think of Natal every time I serve them.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks