Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Back to back parties: would you?

I know this is subjective, but if you have an average energy level and entertain quite a bit, have you, would you: host a 3- 4 hour midday ladies party of 25, turn around the following day and host another for same number?
Details: first party most of the( buffet) food and all decor will be my job. I'll have clean up help. The next day I will only need to touch up , and that's why I'm considering this: all will be done, the house looking good! The second party will be very laid back/ casual, and later in the afternoon, so I won't need to get up and hurry. It'll be a get together where everyone brings an appetizer and personal beverage. I'll serve waters and a spiked punch.
Have any of you done this ? I'm very tempted . "Two birds...," ya know?

Comments (21)

• amj0517
    9 years ago

As long as the second party is more casual, then yes, I'd do it. Most of the prep will be done for the first party. Just count on relaxing the next weekend!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

The way you described it, I think you can certainly handle things back to back.
    Go for it!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

From the way you describe both events and your preparation, I'd say go for it. Your house will be well-prepared and it sounds like you will mostly have to touch up things between parties and prepare the drinks and your appetizers. Any glasses and serving pieces will already be out and ready and you should have the remainder of the first day and most of the 2nd to prepare.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Great way to use up leftovers!

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Absolutely, I would do it!

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I would and I have.

Think of it this way, only one big cleaning before the party. decorations (including fresh flowers/arrangements stay the same). When you wash the dishes and serving pieces from the first party, no need to store them away. Leftovers from first party can be replated and served at the 2nd party.

Have fun enjoy your guests!

ML

• awm03
    9 years ago

Definitely! More efficient than 2 parties a week apart or so.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Personally I wouldn't have the energy for two without massive amounts of help (someone to clean, again! unload the dishwasher, do dishes, cook-again!, etc) but otherwise, sure.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Yes! I've done it before, it makes sense to not put all the entertaining stuff away and drag back out. I've had a couple big parties before and then invited close friends later to help with leftovers.

I'm having a big family party this weekend and am kind of bummed the flowers won't last till I host Thanksgiving.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I read an article once that if you need or want to entertain different groups it makes sense to do it the same weekend. House is clean, entertaining stuff is out, one grocery trip, maybe one big prep session, etc. Try it.....then you'll at least know if you'd do it again or no way.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Duplicate post

This post was edited by joaniepoanie on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 23:02

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, I'd do it, and have done it on many occasions for large groups and small, but I had lots of help for the former. One especially nice aspect of entertaining this way is that you can spend for really great floral arrangements and feel like you're getting your money's worth!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great! You've confirmed my thoughts. Thanks so much for helping me decide. Having the second party late in the afternoon will mean I can enjoy my morning coffee , recoup and not feel rushed. Yes, kswl, love enjoying fresh flowers another day.! I once had a valentine tea. A neighbor- guest was admiring all the red tulips and roses...... .she was hosting her church group's valentine party the following day. I " loaned" her my arrangements and we carted them down to her house at the end of my party. Perfect!
    Thanks all, I will report back .
    Marti

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Yes. In fact I used to do the kids end of school yr swim parties three groups of 25 in a row. And for more formal parties, it's a great way to leverage decor. If you can , hire a set of hands .... Even a HS kid

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Yes, it seems do-able based on the house will already be set up. And when can we expect our invitation, LOL?

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Yes, I have and I would. Like others have said, everything will be prepared for the first party so only touch-up for the second. Love an appetizer party!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh gsciencechick, how i wish. Wouldn't that be a hoot!!!
    More confirmation...yay. And yes to extra hands!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Though I don't entertain too often, I'd do this since the second one you are not responsible for all the food.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Don't be chicken, do it. Enjoy the spiked punch.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Last year I did a soup swap on Saturday and did a family belated Christmas party on Sunday. I thought it was great as I only had to do extra cleaning/dusting once for 2 parties.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 7:30

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

My MIL (in her 80's!) does this on a regular basis since it is easier to do party prep just once. Both are casual and potluck, with one being coworkers and one neighbors.