Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

A serendipitous day

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

Earlier this week my youngest DD mentioned that she would like a few more place settings for her everyday china (Johnson Brothers Friendly Village) for Christmas. Being the china junkie that I am I was delighted to accommodate.

My search started on EBay as I wanted to give her the vintage "made in England" rather than the newer made in China pieces. My goal was to get six place settings for her. I ordered six dinner plates and six soup/cereal bowls from two different vendors. My week took a turn for the hectic and I had to delay the search.

Yesterday DH and I went antiquing. Between antique shops we stopped for a quick sandwich. Since we were close to my favorite consignment shop I suggested a quick look see. My eyes spotted a silver tray that I was sure was silver, though not sure if sterling or silver plate it did have hallmarks on it. It was marked a whole $3.95. That in and of itself made the trip worthwhile.

When I walked into the side that has dining furniture my eyes went right to the table setting on a particularly lovely dining table. There was a 53 piece set of vintage Friendly Village. I quickly found the price tag. It was offered for $79. I tore that tag off and hurried to the desk to purchase it. There were two dinner plates with minor crazing on the back but everything else was in perfect condition. The whole set cost less than I paid for just six dinner plates on EB!

After hand washing the china and inspecting it I started to research the silver piece. I put in lion, star, lion in google and found a silver forum where a poster had a piece with the same hallmark. Another poster said that hallmark was used by E.G. Webster so with that info I went to the Replacements Ltd website and searched under E.G. Webster for pattern number 2913-11. They had pattern number 2913-7 listed and it too has the grape/grape leaf/ vine around the edge. It is listed as silver plated hollowware. My piece is an oval tray 13 inches long. The decorative rim is 1 1/2 inches and the piece weighs just a touch under two pounds. It is lovely and now I know that it was made prior to 1925 when Webster went out of business. There are some surface scratches that I want to have buffed out but other than that it is in excellent condition.

Comments (24)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the China.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the silver piece.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Wow, what a score.

I like searching Hallmarks because you learn so much. Both my mom and MIL have just cleared out their homes and downsized. I took some of the dishes that I really liked and then researched their hallmarks. Some of the dishes are worth a little bit, some are collectibles (Blue Mountain Ash pottery - very cool stuff) but all are stuff that I like.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

A GREAT day! I'm so glad that you got those many place settings at the consignment shop, as I'd have thought they'd run out the door just before Thanksgiving with the first person who saw them.

I feel a cup of tea coming on in an old Meakin transferware cup...

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Score!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

A GREAT day! I'm so glad that you got those many place settings at the consignment shop, as I'd have thought they'd run out the door just before Thanksgiving with the first person who saw them.

I feel a cup of tea coming on in an old Meakin transferware cup...

• User
    9 years ago

Serendipitous is right! You've made an outstanding score on both the China and silver, Holly-Kay! Your daughter will be so surprised and pleased!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My3dogs, the sales gal told ne they just came in the day before and they had just finished placing them on the table so it was indeed a score and meant to be! It would be great fun to share a cup of tea with you in transferware cups.

Graywings, it truly was a score. It felt as though it was meant to be.

BL, I love researching china and silver. I am going to include the history of the different marks on her china. I think she will be interested in knowing some of the history. Most of the china is the black mark, some are the newer brown mark, and several are the newest green mark that were still made in England.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KSWL, I am sure she will be both surprised and pleased. I am so thrilled to give it to her. She loves vintage items.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Wow, what great finds! Congrats!

I like your counters, too!

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Loved reading your story. Bravo!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Great finds! The silver tray is very attractive I don't think I've seen one like that. And your daughter is going to be one happy woman when she opens that box.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

You did good. Very good.

Keep the silver platter for yourself.

ML

• awm03
    9 years ago

How beautiful! The silver piece is especially lovely. Friendly Village buffet & dessert plates are my holiday settings. Way to go holly-kay! Hope your DD enjoys it for many years to come.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

MEANT-TO-BE!!!!!!!! :)

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Wow, score is right!

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

Wow! It was your lucky day!

• annac54
    9 years ago

Great finds! Love it when that happens. Your daughter will love it.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Gee, I don't know, holly-kay, you still have to shop for DD, because the china looks too perfect with your granite. Maybe the dishes can live at your house and visit DD for holidays?

JK, you scored. Can I give you my wish list, too?

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

What great buys! I only wish that I had good consignment/thrift stores with items like that.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Wow! What beautiful finds. Your daughter will treasure them not only because they are lovely, but because they came from her lovely mother!

Thanks for sharing such a sweet story.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

What incredible deals you got, Holly Kay!!! I love the Friendly Village china, which is what I grew up with myself. Mom used it all through our Autumn and Winter months. Your daughter will be thrilled with such a wonderful gift!
    Lynn

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Days like this don't come along often so I am grateful to have found such a great deal for my DD!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

What a great story and I'm thrilled for you. And your DD of course. True serendipity, and a great bargain!