Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Next summer vacation planning ideas please! Cornwall?

jterrilynn
9 years ago

My husband and I need some ideas on where to go next. Initially after enjoying Devon England so much we were thinking of maybe doing Scotland first and then spending the baulk of our time in Cornwall. Devon had some awe inspiring walks along the cliffs as does Cornwall so that's why I picked that area. However, I keep reading about how touristy it is so now I'm not sure. I've been to Italy, France, Spain, and England several times, Croatia and more. There are many countries and U.S places I haven't been. I was even thinking Utah.

I like to walk in beauty, not be in the midst of sardine tourism but yet close to fine restaurants and things to do. I like adventure. Husband likes to be near water and relax but would be content with a nice pool/bar. I would like hiking through large state parks. Husband does not like flying insects of any kind and does not want to be in the vicinity of animals that could kill him. Neither of us are campers. We like nice but unpretentious travel. Husband is keen on nice walks, level one or two exploring, biking or water craft type things though. We do not want to cruise. We do not want another tropical island.

Ideas?

Cornwall?

Comments (41)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My cousins stayed in Wales and it was incredibly beautiful...I saw some of their pictures. There's a long walking trail along the coastline that is just fabulous.

Here is a link that might be useful: slow walk in wales

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

Since you mentioned Utah:

We had a fabulous time this past summer in southern Utah, but be prepared to drive. We made Kanab (on the AZ border) our base of operations. Though this meant a long drive from the airport (Las Vegas), we were quite happy with this decision. It put us about 90 minutes from Bryce Canyon NP, an hour from parking section of Zion, and a couple of hours from the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

If you prefer to pick just one park, I'd go with Bryce - less crowded, more comfortable temperatures, and, in my opinion, better hiking. It was the easiest to get up close to the spectacular scenery. It's probably the only one of the three where biking makes sense that time of year, but also consider horse/mule options. Bryce also has the reputation as one of the best places for stargazing; we went to one of the evening talks, followed by an opportunity to look through a variety of telescopes set up by local amateur astronomers.

There are, of course, two other national parks in Utah, but we only had a few days, which wasn't enough time to get to them.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ireland?

Vancouver?

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Iceland?

It's such a fun adventure although safe and fairly simple logistically. You can wind down every night soaking in a geothermal pool under the midnight sun.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

A buddy went to the Azores and said it really is nice...beautiful geology, pleasant island living, friendly people, lots of hiking...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Grindelwald, Switzerland?

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

Utah is fantastic!

• leel
    9 years ago

Considered Wahington State? Mountains, water, state parks, Seattle--good restaurants, the Needle. What else do you need! Oh, yes--no bugs.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here's one shot my cousin took from Wales of one of the wild ponies that float around there.

And here's another from Wales...don't you expect to see a Hobbit coming around the corner?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

We spent almost 2 weeks hiking in southern Utah in early Octoer. Not the first time we've been there and I can highly recommend the hiking. We stayed in Kanab, Zion NP and Bryce Canyon NP (flew in/out of Vegas). If you want to stay in the National Park lodging, better start planning now for the summer as the lodging inside the parks gets booked very quickly. I can recommend some guided hikes (and the company we used) as well as some self-guided hikes you both would be comfortable doing in the area. Yes, you can base in Kanab, but I think you'd enjoy the experience better moving and staying closer to each park.

Scotland would both be wonderful in summer. I've been to Cornwall, but it was a fairly short trip and it's been about 8 years ago. Beautiful area.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all, sorry it took so long to reply but this remodel is wearing me out and making me sick. Anywayâ¦I talked to my sister in law about Wales and she was discouraging. However, although we travel well together as a family our tastes are very different as far as what makes our heart sing. This is not necessarily going to be a family trip but anyone can join up if they like. So, IâÂÂm picking what I want.

I found this wonderful site online of guided tours that has a wealth of information http://encounterwalkingholidays.com/ itâÂÂs doubtful we will do a tour but it helped narrow some trail picks down. There are also some beautiful scenic pictures and reviews that include the lowdown of some of the trails.

Right now IâÂÂm fixated on the beach trail (for husband) in Cornwall then up to the Tarke Trail and then the Pembrockshire Coast path south in south Wales. IâÂÂm thinking maybe we will skip Scotland and just hit the Cornwall up to south Wales area.

That is if we decide to go to the U.K again. ThatâÂÂs whatâÂÂs throwing me off as part of me wants to go to a complete different country I have yet to explore or somewhere in the States I havenâÂÂt been. But then IâÂÂm pulled back to the area above as I love to walk and already know from walking in Devon that I will truly enjoy it all.

Annie, thank you so much for the photos, your cousin an incredibly gifted photographer! I never thought of Wales and am very inspired! If I had it all my way I would just land there and do all the more rugged bits of trails but I think husband would not be happy. I know I could get away with the southern section of Wales trails though so that is on the list.

Gibby, GaryFx, and Outsideplaying, I know I would love Utah. It gets complicated with husband. He was born in Scotland but raised in south London. I didnâÂÂt fully get the whole town hall crossed with living room crossed with cultural âÂÂpubâ thing until I went over a few times. To keep him happy after a walk itâÂÂs best to have an English pub at the end. He is also happier if there are no bears or large populace of snakes and or insects. We will eventually do Utah but I know I wonâÂÂt be able to do Utah how I would like.

Karin, I havenâÂÂt explored the Iceland possibilities yet but will.

Tribbrix, husband has not been to Switzerland since he was a teen. We have thought about that as being a family meet-up trip down the road.

Here is a link that might be useful: check out these great walking paths from Cornwall, Devon and Wales

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Annie for the Wales idea! We have booked our flights and now have a rough itinerary plan. We are going to the south west coast of Scotland for a few nights and then on for a leisurely drive through Wales on the A470 with a few stops and nights and eventually on to Cornwall. So far I just have the two walks set in stone, one in south Wales and one in northern Cornwall. IâÂÂm very excited to do some exploring and walking in beauty. I have set my mind that it will be rainy in the northern parts so if it isnâÂÂt IâÂÂll be pleasantly surprised but will make the best of it either way. I like walking in rain.

Since I'm the labor pool for our house remodel it's nice to have something to look forward to.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

My mother and I are eagerly planning a return to Cornwall in March, staying in Fowey on the southern coast (Daphne du Maurier's territory). Sounds like you're set on northern Cornwall, which is ruggedly gorgeous, but take a look at Fowey too. Just for grins. ;-)

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will look into Fowey, thanks SunnyC! We havenâÂÂt really settled on where we are going to land in Cornwall for the last five or six days. My husbandâÂÂs family is going to meet up with us. I have been reading off and on about Cornwall and itâÂÂs hard to decide as it all sounds wonderful. So, we are open to south Cornwall. What IâÂÂm trying to accomplish is a location close to lots to do and good places to eat but is maybe on the edge but close to popular summer tourism ( we are going in the summer of 2015). I need a nice neutral area. I donâÂÂt like being in the middle of tourism but my sister in-law does. The men will be happy if there is a pub or two within walking distance. There will have to be a nice beach and very good casual restaurants. And, I LOVE to walk so a nice walking trail would be nice. ItâÂÂs so hard to pick.

From what I have read March is a great time to go because you will miss all of us summer people. CanâÂÂt wait to hear all about it so hope you check in after.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

March is indeed a nice time to be in Cornwall, as the temperatures tend to be a good deal milder there than in other parts of the country. I would love to go during the summer, though, even if there were lots of tourists - just because I think the weather must be simply amazing then! We've also been to Penzance and the surrounding area (stayed in Paul, just up the leafy lane from picturesque Mousehole), visiting a number of places like Land's End, St. Ives, etc.

Fowey is very popular with tourists, so does get crowded in the summer months. I think that's going to be the case with most, if not all, of the seaside towns. Have you read the Cornwall forum on Tripadvisor.com? I received a wealth of helpful information there when initially trying to decide where to base ourselves next year.

I've also had the best time "visiting" various locations on Google Street View. While that's not quite the same as actually being there, it really does help me get the layout and feel of a place.

Happy trip planning! Sounds like you've got a wonderful holiday on your horizon!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi SunnyC, yes I have touched on trip advisor but there lies the problemâ¦it ALL sound great. Guess I will select maybe three or four possibilities in location and pick the lodging I like best out of those and let that settle it. IâÂÂm going to book the rooms in Cornwall first as that area sells out the fastest it seems.

Have you been along the coastal areas of the Galloway area in Scotland? We have recently found a possible clue to husbands ancestry. He was born in Edinburgh but raised in South London. There is a fairly large cemetery in the Galloway region loaded with his surname. We even have a migration path during certain dates in history where groups headed east. Of course my father in-law would deny this possibility lol. Still, we thought it would be fun to do some exploring there.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

A buddy went to the Azores last year. He loved it. Apparently there are direct flights out of Boston. It's apparently relatively undiscovered and unspoiled with lots of terrific scenery, hiking and interesting geography.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 21:17

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, that is so pretty I could cry! I would love to put that on my next list. Not sure if this would be husbands cup of tea though. Will have to check and see if there are pubs or if its very buggy or ...don't know, he does like to walk.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Speaking of walking after I finished writing the above I went in to inspect husbands window sill install. On the way I scaled the little dog barricade and banged my foot on the vacuum cleaner at the other end. Broke the metatarsals on left foot and just got back from ER. How very inconvenient I have things to do. Now I really need the shower in the master bath but now I canâÂÂt work on the remodel for at least three weeks. IâÂÂm hoping after seeing the podiatrist I wonâÂÂt need a cast and can get by with the âÂÂsoftâ wrap. Whatever, how am I going to sit still for three weeks?

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 0:02

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Your photo link was broken, JT, was it your poor tootsies?
    So sorry! That's awful, Was it painful? Can you wear a shoe? Breezy will make you a LIIT.

Annie, WOW

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mtn, yes it is painful and I have been up all night. It only hurt a bit when I broke the bone but as time goes on it's gaining momentum. It feels crushed and on fire at the same time.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Oh no, I'm really sorry, jterri. feel better soon I hope

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

Yikes! I'm so sorry that happened! I can imagine how painful that must be. Wishing you a speedy and easy recovery!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear the bad news...heal quickly!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I never stopped to think how hard it is for those on crutches to carry anythingâ¦anything at all. Just having my cup of tea was an ordeal. IâÂÂve taken to scooching on my bottom across the tile floor while sliding my crutches and my cup (or whatever I need) toward my destination spot. Getting up is the hard part for my right load bearing knee.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yeah, when I broke my ankle I did pretty well carrying stuff...used a bag around my neck and stuffed stuff in the bag. But when it came to liquids, it was tough...I had to bug my office neighbors at work to bring me a glass of water or tea now and again. At home, I gave up and drank it where I made it...at the sink or coffee pot or whatever. Fortunately, bodies heal and it's only temporary.

Mom had a rolling walker with a seat that I used too. I'd rest my knee on the seat and hobble along that way. Then I had a place to turn around and sit down when I got there. It worked pretty well.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

I've spent a lot of time in Dumfries and Galloway, but more in the Moffat area and into the Scottish Borders region. My parents and then I owned a house on St Mary's Loch for about 25 yrs and we used the house at least annually. The best walking in that area is the Southern Upland Way, which can be walked from coast to coast. Where are you planning to visit?

Walkscotland.com is a great website.

Here is St. Mary's Loch http://www.scotlitlocations.com/scottish-borders/location/st-mary-s-loch/

A photo of our house, after a subsequent owner added the right side additio, is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: St Mary's loch b and b

This post was edited by jmc01 on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 9:08

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Maybe not worth it for 3 weeks, but there is a crutch system that leaves your hands free for $150.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iwalk

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I was asked where the Azores are....right about here:

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jmc01, Thank you so much for the info (I hope IâÂÂll get more).
    IâÂÂm not sure we will get much long walking in till the Wales part of the trip and will most likely do more of a sightseeing exploring gig while in Scotland. We were thinking Kirkcudbright or KIR-COO-BREE (I read IâÂÂll get tested on that lol). Is it really referred to as the âÂÂartistâÂÂs townâ or is that tourism propaganda? Would you have a better suggestion along or near the coast in the Galloway area?
    The St Mary's Loch B&B looks very lovely! I wish I had more time to visit that area. I bet you miss having a house there I know I would.

I like that rolling walker idea Annie, funny I had husband bring the wheeled flatbed in from the garage but it was too low. I think because I was obviously distracted from the pain and obviously got the three week thing all wrongâ¦Graywings idea looks like a winner. Down here in Florida with all the elderly/operations and operations in general maybe IâÂÂll get lucky and find one on craigslist.

SunnyC, we have decided on Fowey as well! Thanks for the suggestion. We will first have at least one night in another area of Cornwall but decided that Fowey looks great for the last five days. It will be much easier for the family to skip over for a few days by being in that location. Also, one brother in-law is remodeling a cottage in Devon so it will be real easy for him.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Kirkcudbright definitely attracts artists and there are lots of galleries there. Wigtown, not too far west, is Scotland's national book town and there are lots of bookstores there. Dumfries is the major city of the Dumfries and Galloway region. I haven't been in that area in about 15 years so, other than those 3 places, my info is not current.

The Scottish Tourist Board puts out a book titled Scotland: 1001 things to do. I have gone through a few copies of it - it's a great book for identifying all things worth doing/seeing anywhere in the country. I encourage you to pick up a copy.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks J, I will pick up a copy of that book. In the meantimeâ¦I got into a slight panic when trying to book rooms for the whole trip. It seems nearly everything in Scotland, Wales and the Cornwall areas I wanted to go are almost 80% booked all ready. I had to make a decision on the Scotland stay so picked Kirkcudbright. Although everything but a small B&B showed sold out I decided to email the Selkirk Arms directly and was lucky to get a small suite room. We will be there for three nights so your book recommendation will help with the day trips from there. My husband is happy because his breakfast is included and there is a bar lol. It should be fun getting info on his surname that could possibly be a link to his linage in the areas between and around Drummore, Kircudbright and later mirgration⦠Dumfries. I will spend some time on Ancestry dot com before for more clues.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Oooo, I'm so glad you chose Fowey! I stayed there for about 4 days but it's been around 8 years ago. I was there for the wedding of a dear young friend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you enjoy gardens, do go to the Eden Project near there. There are many castles nearby and many trails around the town to explore. I ran several of them during my stay. I forgot the name of the old hotel where the wedding party was based, but it was quite nice and a quick walk down the hill a few blocks to the pubs and restaurants in town and a lovely view of the harbor.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Outside, yes Fowey should be fun! IâÂÂm not so sure about the place my husband booked to stay and may have to take a hit on a cancelation fee if I find something better. See above, but we felt pressured to pick lodging as everything good seemed to be going fast. He picked the Ferry Inn across the water because it had breakfast and a bar, those are his priorities lol. However, since the family will meet us there I donâÂÂt think having to depend on a ferry to get across that stops at 7:30 pm is a good idea. Although, there are water taxiâÂÂs if worse comes to worse but the other reason is that I heard it can get loud. IâÂÂm hoping for a pretty one bedroom cottage in or within walking distance to town. I think a cottage will give me a better feel of the area.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

Oh, I'm SO excited that you've chosen Fowey! I've heard only good things about the lovely little place, and can't wait to visit -- gosh, just realized we've got less than 4 months until our trip! We've rented a self-catering cottage (see link) that's right in the heart of things and I already know I'm going to fall in love with that view out the kitchen window! The agency for the cottage that we chose has many other lovely offerings, if you're still looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Driftwood Cottage

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

The hotel I stayed in was The Fowey Hotel. I had to google to double check, but it's rated #2 right now on Trip Advisor. It did have a restaurant, a bar, and a lovely terrace that overlooked the water. The cottage looks very appealing also.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

We plan to have afternoon tea at The Fowey Hotel. It looks lovely.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh darn! I thought I found the perfect self-catering apartment that had a new terrace overlooking the village and water and it was right in the middle of everything. I think I will have to forget about going that route due to our time frame of which the last day falls on a Sunday, the Tuesday check-in is okay but not the rest. . The availability for such lodgings is normally a check in or out on a Saturday. I need five nights not within the rules in that my checkout would fall on a Sunday. Next time IâÂÂll know to plan accordingly. IâÂÂm not willing to give up my leisurely trip though Wales and sacrifice a scenic walk and stay to get to Fowey a day earlier. As it is we are already packing a lot in and we donâÂÂt want to race down from Scotland.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

Jterrilynn - did you ask if the agent/owner would consider allowing for a Sunday checkout? Having rented a number of self-catering cottages in the UK over the years, it's our experience that they will often be flexible. It never hurts to ask.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi SunnyC, I did contact Sue, the owner of the Spinnaker and she was so very nice. The location was great and would have made husband happy because that oh so important full Cornish breakfast ) although not on site was right out the door a few paces. I completely understand SueâÂÂs point of view in that it would break-up the bookings in high season.

Sighâ¦and I had already pictured the whole family meeting up on top of the new terrace sharing a bottle of wine and enjoying the view. Plus husband would have his pub very close as well. We donâÂÂt need fancy but want nice and convenient.

IâÂÂll keep looking just in case there is the off chance. I donâÂÂt think I would have as much of a problem if we were to go slightly out of town but I know husband would not want that.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi SunnyC, I did contact Sue, the owner of the Spinnaker and she was so very nice. The location was great and would have made husband happy because that oh so important full Cornish breakfast ) although not on site was right out the door a few paces. I completely understand SueâÂÂs point of view in that it would break-up the bookings in high season.

Sighâ¦and I had already pictured the whole family meeting up on top of the new terrace sharing a bottle of wine and enjoying the view. Plus husband would have his pub very close as well. We donâÂÂt need fancy but want nice and convenient.

IâÂÂll keep looking just in case there is the off chance. I donâÂÂt think I would have as much of a problem if we were to go slightly out of town but I know husband would not want that.