Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Cold weather walkers and runners - a ?

dedtired
10 years ago

What do you wear to keep your legs warm? I enjoy walking in cold weather but my legs freeze. Most people I see are wearing tights or whatever you call them. I have some but they are not warm.I don't like walking in jeans.

So any suggestions? Any particular brands or styles? Any that are wind proof?

Comments (25)

• happy2b…gw
    10 years ago

When I walk in the winter, I wear long underwear, specifically cuddle duds. They keep me warm. They are thin and fit comfortably under clothes. Sears had the best price.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just looked at the cuddl duds site.They have a lot of great options. May have to get some of those!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I also wear long underwear...and warm socks..and a hat...and mittens...and a warm scarf...and layers...

...as I roll down the road.

I suspect I look rather like we did as kids in snowsuits.
    :)

• funkyart
    10 years ago

loooooooooove cuddl duds.. and I pick up fleece lined tights for my sister and mother who watch kids play sports in weather that is often cold and windy. I get the ones at JJill but I am sure there are others. In fact, I think cuddl duds makes a fleece lined.

Dedtired, I believe you are in PA-- is there a bonton in your area? When they start their $50 off coupons at the holidays, I load up on cuddl duds there (often with an additional 25% off).

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Never heard of cuddle duds, but just looked at their website - cute items!

I run in cold weather and have a variety of "cold gear" tights from Under Armour, Athleta, and lululemon. They are all lined with a very thin fleece like fabric and honestly, they are so warm, that I can only wear them in sub-20 degree temperatures or I get too hot, but I get warm very easily when I'm running. They would probably be perfect for walking, especially if you are walking leisurely. If you don't want to wear tights, you could always get silk long underwear to wear underneath whatever pants you typically wear. When I'm going to outdoor events where I'm going to be outside for several hours, I wear the long underwear underneath my jeans and it really really helps. I've had my pair for years - got them either from Lands End or LL Bean-can't remember which.

• jrmom
    10 years ago

I also love my Under Armor cold gear running tights. They are really warm. I get them on Under Armor.com in the outlet or clearance section. I also love Smart Wool sox!

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

When i run i very rarely wear anything other than a pair Brooks or underarmor cold weather tights on my lower body. But the key in my opinion if its brutally cold or windy is windproof outer layer. I like brooks wind and rain stop outer layer pants. I second the call on smart wool socks although sometimes I put on burton socks. And a good pair of running gloves! Wearing any old glove is a mistake. Technical gloves that wicks especially on hands and head and feet are just as important as what's on the leg and bum. Also make sure you are wearing technical underwear. I never understand the runner/walker/hiker/etc who pays top dollar for technical athletic wear but then later it over regular underwear. Technical underwear not only prevents chafing etc but also help you stay warmer

• camlan
    10 years ago

If you get sweaty when you are running, I wouldn't go with silk longjohns. I love my silk longjohns, but they are not good if they get wet.

Mostly, I wear cuddleduds under windproof nylon pants. It's the wind that really makes me cold. On non-windy days, I can just wear jeans and my legs aren't cold.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

dedtired - you can also get cuddle duds at Kohls, Boscovs and Macys - Just checked all 3 websites and they're on sale now.

I've been to the Bon Ton in Doylestown when I used to visit my parents and brother but there's another in Quakertown.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I don't run but I walk a lot in cold weather: I recently bought tights for that, but I also bought grey slim merino track/joggins pants at lulu lemon, they are really light weight but over the tights , warm and windproof.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm no longer a runner and never will be, but I hate feeling like the Michelin Man or Ralphie in his snowsuit (lol, Cyn). I like wearing tights. I'll look in to the under armour and others. I'd love to find an insulated wind-proof tight, if such a thing exists. I think I'll need layers. I've always been more the "use whatever is around the house" type rather than someone who wears up to the minute gear. I think it's time to change my style.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm a walker not a runner. For when it's really cold, I bought myself a really long bell shaped down coat. Then I wear boots so nothing is exposed to the weather. It keeps me real toasty. And as it's bell shaped, it doesn't obstruct my walking.

Otherwise I have tight fitting leggings that fit under my jeans to help keep my legs warm.

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Cuddle duds are the best. I bought more today at Marshalls along with Heat Holders thermal socks. We have a newly adopted dog who requires regular walking. She wears a sweater for our walks.

I'll admit to being a bit of a wimp and love my Leslie Sansone You Tube videos on this kind of windy, cold day. i just did a 2 mile walk in my living room watching Leslie on my iPad.

However, I know when Billie wakes up I will take her out for a mile or so. That's when I need my Cuddle Duds, warm boots, gloves hat and down coat.

In the dead of winter I will pull out an old mink coat (can't wear it anywhere else these days) and hit the streets.

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

here you go dedtired! To get windproof you have to look at cycling clothes. They specialize in windproof . I have a lot of thin wool as it is the very best for keeping warm , breathability, and if it gets wet you are still warm . I wear tights made of polypro and they are the warmest. It is the best for wind resistance and breathability also. Here is a link to some items and you can also just Google polypro tights and get a lot of hits and explanations as to why they are best. Layer thin wool tshirts and you will be very comfortable. The best place and prices are at Sierra Trading Post. I never ever buy anything anywhere else. Sign up for their emails and get huge savings. Hope this helps. c

Here is a link that might be useful: wind proof tights

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trail, interesting that Sierra Tracing Post carries those. Their catalog comes to my house for my son but I never look at it. I will next time. My son is a devoted cyclist and I never thought to ask him! Thanks.

Bonnie, I just checked out Leslie Sansone. That could work on bitter cold days. Reminds of doing those old Jane Fonda videos -- "grapevine!". LOL I gave my mink away. I
    could wear any old slob outfit to workout at home.

Annie, I have a down 3/4 coat. I suppose I could wear that. Lots of options.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

I purchased my Cuddle Duds at Sam's Club. Love them!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I'm a wimp and don't walk once it gets below a certain temp. I do have an eliptical machine that I use inside though. I don't like walking in jeans, I like something that gives more. I'll wear tights under yoga pants. I also have a pair of fleece pants that are not bulky. As someone mentioned above, no big coats, etc. I don't like the michelin man look either. And if you are moving fast, swinging your arms, etc. the layers work better.

tina

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

ded..check online...it is much easier. They have a great search engine and you can find anything in seconds. Also you get all the reviews of items and can do your search based on several choices including most reviewed and highest review. Also you can search based on manufacturer ! Lots of info. If you sign up for the emails you get significant discounts. Here is a link to the current stock of women's tights.

Here is a link that might be useful: women's tights

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

I second the suggestion of Sierra trading post. Only place I buy sports bras. But, I sometimes find better prices for winter gear at departmentofgoods.com or altrec.com or chainlove.com. Chainlove is cycling gear. The deals change frequently. The site sometimes has the tights mentioned by trail.

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 10:13

• loribee
    10 years ago

Ditto cuddleduds from Sam's! I also suggest yoga pants from Old Navy. They seem to be thicker and work well for me, for running....

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great bargains on the Sierra Trading Post site. I can see some pieces that would work wonderfully for me, especially over a pair of Cuddlduds.

We've had two days of miserable weather. It is still cold and very windy today. I must force myself to get out and walk before consuming the traditional 4,000 calorie Thanksgiving dinner!

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

glad you found some things ded. Let me know what you get !

iheart..I use Altrec for my touring stuff . Thanks for the links to the other 2 sites..I wasn't familiar with them . I have a lot of Performance brand cycling clothes from 20 years ago and they all still look new. A very good brand.

It was 25 here in Central AL this AM ! Yikes...get out the polypro for sure ! c

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bumping this back up to say thanks for the recommendation of Cuddl Duds. I bought a pair of legging yesterday. They were on sale at Macy's for $15. They are so nice! I love the way the outside is slippery so your pants slide on nicely. The inside is cozy cotton. It is snowing to beat the band here and frigid weather on the way, so I got them just in time. Thanks!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I had mine on today while running the snow blower. And now I hear on the news tonight that the Philly area may have another storm in a few days. You might need to get an extra pair.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ugh, we've already had more snow this year than the last two put together. I was hoping global climate change might me it would never snow here again. Ha.

Love the Cuddl Duds and I want to get a fleece lined pair next. I also ordered a pair of Saucony running pants from Sierra Trading Post and they fit like they are made for me. When the comments said that they ran a bit big in the behind, I knew they were made for me! They are mid-weight and aloig with the CDs, they are quite warm. I wanted to order a second pair but they are sold out. Boo hoo. Only cost $25!

Love the tips I got here.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner