Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Best Broccoli Ever recipe

terezosa / terriks
14 years ago

My son sent me this recipe for broccoli and we tried it out for Thanksgiving. I have to say that it was the best broccoli ever! It was just my husband and me for dinner, so I cooked a lot less than the recipe calls for. I just kind of eyeballed the oil that I put on it and only roasted it for 15 minutes, because I was worried that it was going to burn. It turns out the the crispy burned looking parts were the best! I also didn't add any more oil after cooking, just tossed the broccoli with lemon juice and parmesan. Delicious!

Comments (18)

• pammyfay
    14 years ago

That looks worth trying--thanks!

I have done the basic recipe before: just oven-roasting vegetables (broccoli, carrots, parsnips) with a drizzle of olive oil and freshly ground salt and pepper. The simplicity of it was just delicious!

But everything tastes better with cheese on it!!!

• johnmari
    14 years ago

I've made this (usually without the expensive pine nuts though, and with a LOT less oil - just enough to barely coat the broccoli) many times and can attest that it is very good. I got the method from one of my instructors at cooking school waybackwhen, who loved all the hard Mediterranean grating cheeses so much I swear he'd put the stuff on ice cream. LOL

Roasted butternut squash chunks (about 1") with Parmesan and shredded fresh sage is a big winner in our household too.

Just fergossake don't use the junk in the can. If you need to use preshredded (and I do buy it myself for when the cheese isn't a starring ingredient) get the Stella or suchlike in the plastic container over in the "gourmet" ;-) cheese section, usually near the deli. I usually get the three- or four-cheese blends in that case, since they're not the best cheeses going. For something like this, though, it's the block and the microplane grater (I'm practically in love with that thing).

• parma42
    14 years ago

That recipe is a keeper!

The cheaper pine nuts are better than nothing, IMO, as long as they're toasted.

Agree with Marie on the cheese. We're so lucky to be able to bring a few blocks home from Parma, each time we go.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

Looks great...thanks terriks!
    I use pine nuts a lot(toast them first always), but not a connoisseur. Is there a big cheap vs. $$$ difference? I buy large-ish bag at Costco, keep in freezer and sprinkle at will.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Simple with natural ingredients is always the way to go.

I've made this recipe with brussel sprouts and it's wonderful.

• natal
    14 years ago

Roasting does wonderful things to veggies ... sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, potatoes, asparagus, rutagaga, butternut squash, acorn squash, bell peppers, plum tomatoes, etc. I do it on a regular basis.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Wow that dish looks heavenly. Will have to try that. I just love roasted veggies. I've always liked 'burned,' too. I'm so adaptable, lol.

Reminds me of another similar roasted veg recipe I saw recently, which is also supposed to be out of this world, so I'll post it up.

Thanks for sharing a healthy and diet friendly meal! Even with the cheese and nuts added : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasting Cauliflower

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Yet another foodie thread I'm glad I opened! Thanks terri for posting and all the extra tips and recipes from everyone else are appreciated!

• natal
    14 years ago

SH, interesting that blogger doesn't use olive oil. That's the only oil I use for roasting and have never noticed a strong flavor as a result. She probably needs to try other brands.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

The blogger used to post here - another one who I think was booted due to linking the above site. She is a wonderful cook, has also written cookbooks, I believe. Maybe the sweetness of the cauliflower is not enhanced by olive oil? Regardless, I am going to try both of these recipes! YUM!!

Thanks gals!

tina

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

The author of the article on roasting cauliflower has studied cooking overseas; her sister, providing the recipe, was a professional chef. It may be that the flavor of cauliflower is too delicate for an olive oil.

Whole Foods has good cheeses and carries Parmigiano Reggiano.

Didn't know Costcos has pine nuts! Toasted only, for me. One of my favorite things. Raw pine nuts do nothing for me.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

That's right, Tina, she did write an acclaimed cookbook! She was also a food and restaurant critic for a time, writing for some major publications. Love drooling over her recipes and reading the cooking tips. There's always a yummy photo.

Food Gawker is a scrumptious foody site, with luscious photos of their recipes. There's another site that's very similar, but the name escapes me right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Gawker

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's another cauliflower one that does use olive oil, but there are other strong flavors added, unlike the one above. Rated 5* overall out of 87 reviews on Food Network; though, of course, some found it bland, lol.

Dang, I'm getting so hungry!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Roasted Cauliflower Recipe

• natal
    14 years ago

Anyone who blogs can submit photos to Foodgawker, Tastespotting, etc. Cauliflower is far from being a delicate flavor. It's in the same family as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and kale.

Why isn't that site supposed to be linked?

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Cauliflower may be in the same family as the other veggies, but the taste is quite different from them.

Each vegetable has it's own flavor and is enhanced being cooked differently from the other.

Cabbage and Brussel Sprouts are my favorites and I only season them with butter.

I'm going to try the above recipes. I've roasted asparagus with new potatoes and they're great!

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

Another variation that makes you think that people WOULD eat their veggies, if only they were roasted!

Combine broccoli florets and wedges of purple onion and toss with small amount of olive oil. Add crushed red pepper, black pepper, and oregano to your taste. Roast at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes until toasty. Delicious!

• natal
    14 years ago

Since this thread is about one of Ina's recipes thought some of you might enjoy this blog about Ina and T.R. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sexiest Man Living Is the Tastiest Morsel in Ina's Kitchen

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Walnuts are my typical sub for pine nuts- yes, the flavor is different but still very good. And I've been impressed with 4C cheese in a jar. It's shredded, moist and tastes good.
    I've used a lot of it lately. Much better than pre shredded deli tubs or plastic green canned.