Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroleohio

Vote on which ring you like best!

CaroleOH
10 years ago

Hi Everyone, I need some help deciding on which ring I should get for my anniversary. First, a little info. The center stone is from my original ring, the two side stones are from a pair of earrings I don't wear - so I wanted to incorporate the three stones into a new ring. Since the center stone is a half carat and the side stones a third, they were not real proportionate together. The jeweler came up with this idea - putting a halo of very small diamonds around the center pear.

I've always had yellow gold, so decided I wanted white gold with this ring. Now having second thoughts. DH and a dear friend both like the yellow gold best. In the white gold ring, the halo diamonds blend to make the pear center stone look like a larger stone. In the yellow gold the individual stones are a more visible. Disclaimer - the ring looks huge in these photos, but keep in mind it's really much smaller in real life - and the prongs won't be so huge either. That's just a part of the computer design.

Please tell me which one you like best and why!!

White gold:

yellow gold:

White & yellow gold:

Comments (18)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I like the design and if you feel the halo is necessary for balance then it's a good choice.

Don't wast the money (I'm assuming the labor may be more) on the mix of yellow and white - you'll never see it when it's on. Trust me - I know!! Did the same kind of thing on a ring and wish I hadn't bothered. :-/

Personally, I like yellow gold and always have. I'm not fond of white gold with diamonds. Platinum is better non-yellow metal with diamonds.

• msrose
    10 years ago

Years ago I preferred yellow gold, but now just about all my jewelry is white gold, so naturally I like the white gold better. Is your gut instinct pushing you one way more than the other? Is it only because your husband and friend like the yellow gold that your reconsidering? Go with the one you're drawn to, not them.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Ditto on the mix. I've got in my wedding ring and it's just not noticeable. I love the white gold ring. For one thing, it makes the center diamond and halo look like one big pear diamond. For another, if most of your rings are yellow gold, it's nice to have a white gold when you are wearing white gold earrings and necklace. If you like to match, that is.

Edited to add: Very pretty ring, either way.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 13:05

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

My original wedding rings were yellow gold and when we "upgraded" I switched to white gold and I like the way the diamonds look so much better with the white gold. So that would be my vote.

Platinum would be my first choice, but that may not be in the budget...

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does platinum change the look? I just assumed it would look the same just platinum was more durable.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Does white or yellow go best with your skin tones?

My anniversary ring is yellow gold with the white mountings. As you said, the white prongs make the diamonds look larger, more continuous -- and the ring therefore a little sleeker. But yellow looks best with my skin.

Having the mixture of metals also allows you to wear other pieces in either white or yellow and not feel you are clashing.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

My personal preference would be white gold. But that's MY preference. What is yours? And as mentioned above - what looks best on you?

tina

Ps - if you do go with yellow gold, I would do as suggested and get the white gold mountings.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

I like either the all white gold, but I also like the two-tone. I have a few pieces of two-tone jewelry, and I love the look.

• User
    10 years ago

I'd go with whichever looks best with your skin tone.

White gold looks better with mine so I prefer the first one. I wouldn't do the two toned. Based just off looks I still prefer the first one.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I prefer the white gold...I went platinum with my wedding ring. I like the white gold as, unless you are buying a yellow diamond, then the whiter the color the more desirable the stone. Why mix it with yellow gold and add a yellow cast which you don't want? I also prefer that the setting blends in with the stones so the pear on top looks more like one stone. The yellow setting breaks up the stones too much and looks too busy.

IAC, the setting is just lovely. And either way, your ring will be beautiful.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I won't offer my thoughts on white vs. yellow gold - I really think you have to decide which you would prefer. I do have an opinion on the yellow prongs. I think the prongs should be white whether you opt for the white gold or yellow gold band. I have diamond rings and even the diamonds set in a yellow band have white prongs.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I agree with those who say white/gold is a personal preference.. but I do want to share my experiences when I had my diamond reset. I went from white gold to mixed--yellow gold looks better with my skin tone but I love mixing metals and I wanted to be able to wear it easily with my silver and mixed metals pieces. It was a mistake. You absolutely cannot tell that it is mixed metal. The sparkle of the diamond totally hides the white gold in the design.

More importantly, I want to urge you to consider platinum for the prongs. Not long after I had my ring made, the diamond popped out. Thankfully, it happened at a client site. They noticed in the middle of my presentation that the diamond was missing from my ring and they actually FOUND it before I knew it had fallen out. How amazing is that?-- but I was scared by the experience. I had the prongs replaced with platinum and have not had an issue since. My diamond is a brilliant cut and sits higher on 4 prongs. Perhaps if it didnt sit high, the white gold would have been fine but I'll always go platinum from here forward.

Oops. Just realized you don't have prongs.. still, I will keep this here for the benefit of others.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Funky, from what I've heard and from experience, 4 prongs aren't enough for a "safe' setting.

Carole, I also prefer a white metal and went from yellow to white when I upgraded and reset my rings.

I also wanted to link to the product I used and love. I have thin fingers, but larger knuckles, so I have major problems wearing rings. If they pass over my knuckles then they are huge on my finger and spin around. I tried some of the balls and other things they use to keep a ring from spinning, but those would make it very painful to get the ring over the knuckle.

My jeweler sold Finger Mate and we used it to make my ring. It expands to go over the knuckle and closes up tight on the finger. Great solution for those with arthritis or just funky fingers like mine! They can remake any ring with the special Finger Mate band. I had it done about 7 years ago and the cost for the special band was around $600.

I was juts looking at their site because we have moved and I was trying to find a local jeweler who carries the product as I would like to have them clean and check the band after I have worn the ring every day for 7 years ... no problems that I can see, but want to make sure the clasp and hinges are still perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finger Mate - Adjustable ring shank

• User
    10 years ago

I think white gold looks best with your ring--- which is gorgeous and is a brilliant way to repurpose stones and jewelry you don't wear. This year I have had all my jewelry repaired, and feel like its all brand new. I had forgotten a bracelet of Thai bhats I bought in the 70s on my travels. Getting out all the old stuff brought home how much gold has gone up over the last 30 or 40'years.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like the white or platinum....second choice would be rose gold....it's beautiful...my original engagement and wedding rings from 1980 were rose gold....

• golddust
    10 years ago

The photos all look like quality work so it comes down to your preference. It's a very personal choice. Nice design.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

My husbands family is in the jewelry business and they say that platinum or white gold is far more flattering to a diamond. That being said, it's all up to you. I started out with platinum for my diamond but the rest of my jewelry was gold. Today I mix them up. From the photo alone, I prefer the white gold.

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I wear a mixture of jewelry - mostly silver in the summer and I do have gold necklaces that I like to wear, but my watch is mixed metals and I don't think one gold looks better on me than another. I guess I have neutral skin! :-)

My initial thought when starting this process is I wanted white gold or platinum. They only did the yellow gold for me as a comparison. While I do like the yellow gold, since I have a choice, I think I'm going to go with the white gold. I will look into whether it can be done in platinum and how much more it would cost.

I'll post a real life photo when it's done!