Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

I'd be embarrassed if I was a Springfield, MO fan!!

Faron79
9 years ago

Holy Moly!

A VERY few of you may know (or care...;-)) that my NDSU Bison were in Springfield, MO to play the Missouri-State Bears. Last week we lost for the 1st time in 2.5yrs @ UNI. We rebounded this week & pounded MSU 45-10.

My main point is this however...
I think it was their "Senior-Day". The ONLY full section in their outdoor stadium was their BAND. For God's sake....NDSU fans outnumbered THEIRS I think!!!! It looked so empty!! The "attendance" announced was ~ 4,900. BULL! Sold tickets...MAYBE. Actual butts in stands? VERY few. I've seen more people @ HS games!

Temps were mid-30's during the game. Up HERE, that's light-jacket weather! So....was it the weather....or just sheer apathy for football there?!??! I think their record is ~ .500.

Faron

Comments (9)

• dexterpom
    9 years ago

Faron, I'm from Mn and use to go to Springfield freq. for many yrs. about 10 yrs. ago. At that time 55 was cold hats and gloves. School closed at 20. I wanted to retire there.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Dexterpom!

School closed @ 20...?!?!??!
    Do ya think it was mainly the weather for SUCH a poor home-team turnout??

Faron

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Do you have any idea what their average in attendance is? Not every school is all about their football team. Perhaps they have students who have other priorities. Four years at what was then MSU--siblings at both NDSU and UND--a son and many nieces and nephews at NDSU and UND--imagine none of us has ever been to even one football game. Imagine more we are all happy, healthy and successful!!.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arcy-
    Yeah, I know it's not the most important! :-)

I was just speaking as an aggregate matter. I think their stadium is 18,000 capacity. But the crowd was almost non-existent. It was just SO stark...

This is D-1 Football. I think it's shameful for a school to have next-to-no support at a football game...

Faron

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Faron, I know it's not for everyone, but I love college football too, and I think it's a real shame when any sport isn't supported when the team is in play-offs especially. As a rabid Alabama Crimson Tide fan and alumni since I was around 12 (fan that is), I get where you're coming from. It's been really chilly down south this weekend and that sure didn't stop the thousands of SEC fans from packing the stadiums.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Deer Season.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Juliekcmo-
    Yes, I had considered that. But HARDLY ANYONE in the stands?! Their BAND literally outnumbered their fans I think!
    The stadium holds 18,000 I believe...
    I suppose many were watching on TV....but still!!!!

OSP!
    YES! A fellow fan/kindred sole!
    Who's gonna rule the SEC?!

Faron

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I hate to get my hopes up too high, but I think Bama has a good shot at it!

• peaceofmind
    9 years ago

I live in Springfield. We are a basketball town. Mens and womens teams in all the local colleges and high schools have huge support.
    MSU spent a lot of money on a new football stadium and there was lots of hype about the new season. They actually won their first game but very few since. Saturday was also the start of a cold wave here after a very warm fall. I'm not sure the crowd would have been larger if the weather was warmer.
    No, the schools don't close at 20 degrees but it doesn't take much snow to close the whole town down.