Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

who decided and when?

ms-thrifty
10 years ago

Who decided that those Christmas sweaters were ugly? when were they supposed to be relegated to the donation boxes? I have not worn mine since the early 1990's, but still have one sweatshirt, one sweater, and one sweater vest in storage boxes in a closet. Had just taken them out to look at, as was hunting for some old christmas decorations that I put away thinking I may want again some day. I was thinking maybe of making Christmas pillows or something from the sweater or vest. BUt then what if they become NOT ugly and or wearable again.

Comments (21)

• deegw
    10 years ago

With my teenagers, the '80s Christmas sweater is in again. Christmas sweater parties are super popular and the sweaters fly out of the Goodwills in college towns

Google tacky sweater parties and you'll see tons of pictures.

It all depends on the particular sweater but I don't know if Christmas sweaters will ever considered stylish. But, if you put one on with a sense of humor, they are wearable again.

• SunnyCottage
    10 years ago

I don't find them ugly, as in "recoil in horror and look the other way" ugly. I think they're kitschy and festive, and if you feel you might ever want to wear yours again (or even now), you go right ahead and do so! If you can't dress for fun during the holidays - when can you?

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I love them. I used to buy a new one every year! I guess they've been deemed 80's over-the-top, though. Isn't it strange that items from the 80's are considered vintage by the college crowd...yikes!

I think making pillows would be a wonderful re-use for sweaters.

• User
    10 years ago

I also find them kitschy and festive but dated. I have a few winter (snowflake) sweaters from my teens and was cleaning out recently when my sister said "NOooooooooooooooo I have fond memories of those sweaters." lol. We talked about making them into pillows and in the end the two went back into the storage container. Maybe I'll wear them around the house this winter. I wouldn't wear mine in public.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you like them, wear them. If it makes you happy, why not? I have earrings that are bells and others that are wreaths. I think they're fun.

• wearybuilder
    10 years ago

and I think there is a difference between an ugly xmas sweater and a pretty one.....

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I have never seen one that was attractive that I would ever want to wear except at one of these parties. Never owned one, and my mother never even owned one. They just scream dowdy.

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

Gosh.....I think I still have one or two in my dresser? Can't remember when I last wore one though....

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I run into these sweaters on the store racks occasionally, and I have to admit I find some of them charming. Sometimes I worry about myself.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

graywings, move away from the xmas sweaters, lolâ¦..

I think they have become the butt of jokes because they are too literal, too cartoonish, too much of an ornamented theme.

I remember hand knitted big cardigans that had a theme, bowling ball or whatever on the back. They are coveted as kitchy vintage items now.

• polly929
    10 years ago

Sell your old ones on eBay, you'll sell them and you'll probably be surprised what you get for them. My family did a Christmas sweater contest a few years ago, it was a riot. Personally I think they are kind of ugly, but if you like yours wear it. I work with a few ladies that still wear them, they're college aged kids steal them from them for parties.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Like Shee, I had a few in my younger years. Now, usually who I see wearing them are old ladies. LOL I'm not sure I would say "dowdy", but older, matronly. Is that the same thing?

tina

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Um, it wasn't me, but if I could take credit for it, I would.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Of course, there are holiday sweaters, and then there are holiday sweaters.

This is nice.

This is dowdy.

This is OTT.
    {{gwi:1525534}}

And this is uncalled for!
    {{gwi:1525535}}

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Annie, I don't know where you found those pictures, but the last two are cracking me up! Do you think that reindeer nose lights up?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

OMG F2BH! I never thought of that. Yikes!

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

LOL F2BH! :-)

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Those pictures are a riot. My mom volunteers in a hospital thrift shop and if one of those vintage Christmas sweaters comes in , they can get big bucks for it. They are so bad they are good.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Anyone notice that people don't get dressed up in winter dressy clothes any more? Women seem to wear sleeveless dresses and strappy sandals to all events summer or winter. Do homes, restaurants and party venues have better heating and insulating now, compared to the 1970's and 1980's? You can't even wear a sweater or coat to a mall in winter or you will start sweating. Maybe the sweaters have disappeared because the temperature indoors makes them uncomfortable to wear.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I do like the "nice sweater" above, but I don't look like that!

Chispa, I have noticed that, too. It seems to be a Michelle Obama phenomenon. I don't like that there are pretty much no options for dressy clothes.

Since I've moved and worked gradually further south over the years, I would have to remind my mom and my family in NY state to please not send too many warm sweaters because it doesn't get that cold here (other than right now where it's been record cold). I also hate wearing a bulky sweater under a bulky winter coat. From work we got some fleece vests and jackets, and I wear those more than anything. But, still, I'd never go anywhere with sleeveless and bare legs!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I think public spaces have always been overheated in winter. I remember living in Louisville, Kentucky in the 1990's and never wearing a coat. I would keep one in the car in case I got stuck and had to walk, but there was no way to wear it inside a store because the stores always felt like they were 80 degrees.