Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baroo2u_gw

Please Share Your Special Place!

Baroo2u
10 years ago

Hubby's home in January & has been overseas forever. I know him: if we don't go somewhere he'll have the house painted from top to bottom, a new floor installed and the kitchen redone b4 I can blink. That probably sounds good to some of you, but I'd prefer that he burns off his disembarcation heebie jeebies by running on a beach, swimming or kayaking, y'know?

So, I'm looking for a vacation rental and thought I'd start by asking the folks on here to share a southern spot you've been that is close to your heart. Links and photos are welcome!

It can be no frills or luxe, rustic and isolated or small-town and swimming in with friendly faces. Quaint or sophisticated, a cabin, cottage, villa, apartment or even just an area or town. Just as long as you tell us what it's like and what makes it so special to you.

And, if any of you might have an inside line on a rental my criteria are: warmish weather, not super $$$, on a lake or river or beach would be ideal but really anywhere peaceful and beautiful that the people are friendly and we can celebrate that neither of us is EVER going back to the middle east except as tourists--NOT! Oh, and extra points for small-dog friendly since he won't budge without The Boyz (see below)

Can't wait to see your special place : )

Comments (13)

• seeker12
    10 years ago

You might want to take a look at "old" Florida--Apalachicola area, called the Forgotten Coast in the Panhandle of the state. It's quite unlike crowded southern Florida cities or areas. Friendly people, beautiful scenery, gorgeous beaches and a slower, relaxed pace.

The town of Apalachicola is small, walkable, friendly and has great seafood, fun shops and galleries. There's boating, fishing, beaches, good local theater (Dixie Theatre) with a variety of productions, golf, boat-watching at docks with fishing/shrimping fleet, a national forest, the second largest 2nd largest Estuarine Research Reserve system in the nation that's open for tours, etc.

Apalachicola has a variety of restaurants and cuisines and a wonderful old-fashioned soda fountain, a good coffee shop and unforgettable oysters and seafood.

http://www.apalachicolabay.org/

The area is the home of Tupelo Honey, which is special, not to mention the fresh oysters that are out of this world. Neither should be missed.

There are a range of rentals both in town and on St. George Island.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/florida/apalachicola/r9935

http://www.collinsvacationrentals.com/?NCK=Vacations&gclid=CPzT2ce07LoCFURU4godzDAAoQ

On St. George Island (barrier island), the Blue Parrot is the place to eat -- beachfront, largest deck and tiki bar and delicious food. Be sure to try Smoked Fish Dip (smoked yellowfish. Yummy; customers order it shipped to far reaches once they've tasted it.)

http://www.blueparrotcafe.net/

http://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/cities/apalachicola.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Apalachicola-Florida/108187239201623

Nearby small towns are fun to explore, too.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Seeker has pretty much nailed my favorite area of the Gulf Coast. There are also numerous little areas around highway 30A... Blue Mountain beach, Seaside, Seagrove, etc. many have houses to rent, areas where you can bicycle around the area, plenty of good food. Some of the houses seeker is talking about have their own pools and private access to the beach for even more privacy. Sounds like a lovely getaway!

• Jules
    10 years ago

Do you want to stay in the US? If so, I'd suggest sticking to Florida during January if your desire is to run on a beach in a bathing suit. While we really enjoy the Panhandle areas suggested above, it may be rather cool there in January.

For a similar, smaller town feel but a little warmer weather, I suggest Vero Beach or one of the more easterly FL Keys. The Keys really don't have the best beaches, however, aside from Bahia Honda State Park. Vero Beach has a desirable combination of attractions -- beautiful and secluded beaches, nature and wildlife centers, good restaurants, a thriving arts community, friendly people, low-rise buildings and the Old Florida feel seeker mentioned. I can give you more information if you're interested. We love it in Vero and have a winter home there after considering and visiting many other small cities in Florida.

If you want basically a guarantee of perfectly sunny, warm weather during January, you'll probably need to head to a Caribbean island or further south. I can make several suggestions, and I'm sure many others here can as well.

How long would you like to travel and what is your budget?

Here is a link that might be useful: about Vero Beach

• hhireno
    10 years ago

If he's been away, he might just want to be home, in his own bed, with his own stuff, spending time with his wife and dogs. Maybe find local things to do to keep him busy and occupied? Day trips and local things you've never done because they're local things and you take them for granted (as we all do). Restaurant you usually don't go to, movies in the middle of the afternoon, parks, scenic sites, tourist traps, whatever will make him feel like he's back.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Sanibel/Captiva island! It has an almost magical quality of being comfortable, laid back and stress free. Decisions made long ago to ban the worst manifestations of the crazy development that has blighted so much of Florida (no high rises, tacky tourist traps or fast food chains) have resulted in an oasis of peace and calm with lots of great casual restaurants and a plethora of reasonably affordable ocean front accomodations--there are plenty of condos, hotel/efficiencies or luxury hotels depending on your preference.

It is my special place for sure, and I am a FL resident myself. It holds a place in my heart and for a winter getaway, I'd recommend it in a hot minute.

Enjoy!
    Ann

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I agree with hh. Find out what he wants to do before making plans. Being at home is what he might want more than anything. I know I would.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seeker & Ann, thanks for you suggestions--they sound terrific!

Jujubean, we're not necessarily looking for perfect warm weather--probanly the panhandle or Texas would be fine. We don't usually go running in bathing suits, and if it's cool we can put on tec pants or wet suit, s for kayaking, no biggie. We thought about Grenada in the Caribbean, but it we stay in the U.S. we can drive and take the dogs. And our budget is about $2500 for everything.
    Bumblebeez & hh,not to worry, hubby and I have 5 deployments between us so we have this down to a science.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seeker & Ann, thanks for you suggestions--they sound terrific!

Jujubean, we're not necessarily looking for perfect warm weather--probanly the panhandle or Texas would be fine. We don't usually go running in bathing suits, and if it's cool we can put on tec pants or wet suit, s for kayaking, no biggie. We thought about Grenada in the Caribbean, but it we stay in the U.S. we can drive and take the dogs. And our budget is about $2500 for everything.
    Bumblebeez & hh,not to worry, hubby and I have 5 deployments between us so we have this down to a science.

• polly929
    10 years ago

I'm sorry I can't contribute as I'm from the northeast, but I'd like to say....thank you for your service. And I hope you enjoy a nice getaway once you find the perfect spot.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

This area is gorgeous, affordable and just plain wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: get away island

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I love Sanibel and Captiva too, but wonder how "warm" they will actually be in January.

Maybe Miami and/or the Keys?

We're going to Sunny Isles Beach in Feb., near Miami.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

For information I just checked pet friendly places in Sanibel.
    Your Basenji's are beautiful!
    http://sanibel-island.sanibel-captiva.org/list/category/pet-friendly-accommodation-629

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Can't say it's our special place, but we sure enjoyed staying on the beach in La Jolla CA. It was great weather and very relaxing.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH