Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeinohio

Paypal breach

deeinohio
10 years ago

I recently received an email telling me my paypal account had sent $249.00 to an ebay merchant. The merchant is located in India; the merchandise was sent to Louisiana. I did not make this purchase.

I immediately contacted the seller, telling him not to send the merchandise since I was disputing the charge. I did not hear back from him. I contacted paypal who said we must have given our password out to someone. I told them it was just my DH and I and I never give out my password. They are "investigating", though it has been several days and I still do not have my money back.

I use paypal because I thought it was safe. I will never use it again. I don't have to have a paypal account since I seldom purchase from ebay anymore since they've become more like a store than an auction site.

Information I received indicates the problem may be with the ipad I use for most everything and its lack of security. I might add, just a month ago someone at a Target store in Georgia purchased 2 iphones on our Verizon account, which, I assume they did not count on, shut off our phones resulting in our immediate call to Verizon, and the shutting off of the iphones. We have a password on the Verizon account, and anytime we call in or go into the store, the first question is "What is your password?".

I just wanted to warn everyone of this threat. It is a pain in the you know what. I am currently not using my ipad for any online purchases or account inquiries, and instead using my laptop.

Comments (19)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Did you go directly (not through an email link) to Paypal and check your account activity?

I often receive emails that look like they are from Paypal. They are not sent by Paypal. Its phishing. They are sent out by ....I can't think of an acceptable word to use without being censored....

Good luck

ML

ML

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes. Never use link.

I also never use public wifi.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Something fishy with this. I never receive an email notifying me that paypal has sent money to someone. I don't use it a lot, and not all recently.

I still get tons of "paypal-ish" scam emails, but they are never even opened. I squash 'em like most people do ants.

Why do you use any tablet-type device if it isn't secure? And why wouldn't it be as secure as a phone is? I have neither, but it boggles me that they wouldn't be safe. I use Verizon mobile broadband for my only internet connection, to my only internet-connected device: my laptop. My laptop rarely ever leaves my house.

And who, ever, legitimately needs your psswrd? I would think that request is obviously a tip-off that it is a security breach in the making. I have dealt with Verizon over my account and they have never asked for a psswrd, only my modem's phone number.

Sorry you have this pain to deal with. My experience w/Paypal is that they will sort things out, in the end. Since you have recently had other security issues (iphones in Aug.) I would think this is less Paypal's fault than some other breach in your financial privacy walls.

L.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I always receive emails notifying me when money is sent from PayPal, even with monthly payments, like Netflix.

We set a password with Verizon, but that's not I don't want to divulge how I know, but neither iPhones or iPads are as secure as they should be.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I get an e-mail from PayPal every time I use it, telling me about the transaction.

I know you are upset, and I can understand how you feel. But it doesn't seem that PayPal is at fault here.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Do not use unsecure wireless networks for anything where you need to put in a password such as email, banking, etc.

Is your router at home password protected? It is amazing how many routers are not secure when we log in.

If your paypal is linked to a credit card, maybe cancel those cards or at least call them.

You might want to oder up a credit report to see if there is any other identity theft going on.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Something very similar happened to me several years ago with itunes.

Somehow someone charged several hundred dollars of games to my account. We disputed the charges with my credit card and then I took my credit card off my itunes account. We only use itunes gift cards now.

I have a paypal account and in general I feel like it is safe, but who really knows??!! Would not be surprised if this happened to any of us. But, I feel safer doing paypal than putting my cc out there for everything.

Dee-- I think you should try the Credit card associated with your paypal account and dispute the charges. They should help you out.

What a pain....and so stressful.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Did you use the email notice link to contact Paypal, if so this is phishing and the phony site wants your information. To contact Paypal, always go to Paypal.com and find their telephone number and call. If, indeed, it were genuine, why didn't you receive a confirmation of the bid from either Ebay or from Paypal? Something sounds wrong. My daughter got a similar one and went in to her account and changed it and, when she told me, I told her you've been had. Call Ebay or Paypal and tell the, she did and then changed her account securely. There are a lot of scams out there. I have gotten three so far from what looks like Ebay to a tee but it isn't. Google Paypal scam emails and see the abundance of infor on them. Sorry this had to happen to you.

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The email was legit. The purchase was made from someone else's eBay account, just paid for with my paypal.

I've talked to paypal. They are researching the seller.

I worked in law enforcement for 33 years, so I'm more cynical than the norm.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

It looks like eBay would see it was their purchase and not yours, then credit. I always use my credit card when paying with PayPal so that the CC company has my back.

Have you done a credit check recently to make sure it's okay? Someone somehow got DH and my SSN, DOB, etc two years ago. Opened a Home Depot card but was turned down at two mall stores (Macy's and another one). Chase handles HDepot and they couldn't have been nicer and complete with their investigation. They placed security blocks on our reports that last several years, and we'll renew, renew, renew. Even though the person gave HDepot (in another state, mind you) DH DOB and my SSN they opened the account. The other two stores declined. They sent us pictures from the surveillance cameras of the person that opened the account - looks nothing like us and no one we knew. Only place we can think of that has both of our info is Dr offices. We'll probably never know.

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

My Paypal breach experience:
    In early August I got both an email and phone call notice a of security breach on my credit card (so they cancelled the card & issued me a new number). Shortly thereafter I got an email notice of a security breach on my Paypal account and asking me to change my password, which I did. I had my Paypal account set up up to be auto-paid by my credit card. Then I got another notice of a security breach on my Paypal account so I just called in and closed the Paypal account. Then I got notice in the mail that ICG America had attackers who had accessed their payment processing system from January 2 to August 2, 2013. ICG America learned of the breach on August 8, 2013. That was the notice that started to put everything together for me.

In mid July I had ordered my dad an Amazing Club 6 month gift package. Amazing Club is part of the ICG America family. I don't know how hackers operate, but they know how to make life miserable for many.

So, you may want to think of all the places you have used your Paypal account recently or see if something has had a security breach.

I don't want to bad mouth Amazing Club. My 82 year old Dad (and my Mom) loved the gift packages that arrived each month. Hackers are the bad guys. Hackers just have a way of infiltrating our lives in ways we'll never know.
    I'm trying to be more careful with my online browsing & shopping, but it will be an ongoing battle.

It made me much more aware and careful with my online shopping habits, password strength, changing passwords, etc.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Dee that really stinks. I feel for you. I use the Paypal credit card that they issue which assures complete payback for any issue that comes up with Ebay or most any one else. Never had a problem. Hope I never do.

• redcurls
    10 years ago

Happened to me five years ago. Apparently someone went into my Ebay account somehow and changed my email address and then bought a computer and paid via PayPal out of my CHECKING ACCOUNT. I didn't know anything had been "won" at Ebay. It took a couple of weeks to get my money back from PayPal. I was complaining to all that would listen on message boards. Everyone was saying that never happened to them, and Paypal was perfectly safe. Yeah, it's fine UNTIL it happens to you. I only had the link to the bank account to be PayPal verified. NEVER used anything but my credit card for a purchase. It made for a VERY UNCOMFORTABLE couple of weeks because we were getting ready to go on vacation. Will NEVER EVER use Ebay or PayPal again. PayPal acts like a bank, but is not regulated like one. It should be. A credit card charge is quite easy to dispute and you never even see the charge on your bill. This was far worse because it was my bank account...actual cash money...that was drained. My first stop was at my credit union who could do NOTHING. It HAD to be rectified (reversed) by PayPal.

This post was edited by redcurls on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 1:58

• jlj48
    10 years ago

Our paypal experience. About 10 years ago, my DH sat down on a Sunday to look at e-mails. Back then, we never looked at our computer on a Sunday. He began to get emails from e-bay that said "congratulations! You have just won..." then another, then another. We hadn't bid on anything. We immediately called our Discover card with who paypal was registered with and stopped payments and cancelled the card. What a hassel. We had to get a new discover card. We cancelled our paypal and called the police. Paypal and E-bay was not at all helpful. That was the last time we used E-bay.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I just unlinked our bank account from paypal. Honestly, there is just too much potential for fraud.

I received a new Discover card a few months back saying there was some sort of breach, but no explanation where and when it was.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I would never link my bank account to paypal or a credit card, especially one I was using on-line.

I use paypal often. I was told by my credit union that it is a very safe method. I've noticed our Lowes and a few other stores are starting to accept paypal.

That said, I have one credit card that is used for online purposes. We maintain a smaller limit on that card. That card is linked to my paypal account.

tina

• redcurls
    10 years ago

tinam61:: Didn't you need to use a bank account to be VERIFIED with PayPal? I never, ever used that account for payment (always credit card to be safer!) but when they verify you, they put a couple of pennies in your account and a couple days later, they withdraw it. Once I removed my bank account with PayPal, I am no longer verified.

This post was edited by redcurls on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 15:25

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

"That said, I have one credit card that is used for online purposes. We maintain a smaller limit on that card. That card is linked to my paypal account."

Good idea.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

hmmm redcurls - I don't know about that. Perhaps I am not "verified"??? But if so, it's not been a problem. I used paypal twice earlier today . . .

tina