Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Warm Winter Dress. ?

If you live in a So. Ca. Climate, how do you dress in Oct.-Nov. ?
The temps may call for sandals and light, breezy summer dresses, but the season feels like boots and jeans. This is fine at night when the temps drop, but days? Do boots look strange to you on warm fall days ?

Comments (8)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I live in the NYC area and find it funny to see people wearing boots on unusually warm autumn days. Stylish yes, comfortable not at all.

By mid September, I am done with the capris and sandals. For warm days it's light weight jeans and ballet flats.

Since you are in California it would seem logical that your summer season is extended longer. What do others do?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

We have the same situation in Georgia in September and October and sometimes even November. I wear the same type of clothing but in fall
    Colors. Fabrics are still linen and cotton but the colors are gold, olive, pumpkin, brown, black. And I stop wearing sandals even if it is still warm enough to wear them.....nothing says summer more than sandals, IMO.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, so sorry the title was misleading....especially with the brrrr many of you have coming. Here , as in most places, we see a bit of everything.....sun dresses AND sandals. Like you, kswl, that's just out of my former - southerner comfort level. :-)......and it's mostly shoes I was wondering about. Want to wear my cute, new boots! This was a silly question. Carry on, and stay warm back there, as we here are beginning to enjoy cooler times.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

It is funny to me to see people wearing boots in warm weather. I run warm anyway, so it must be really cold for me to wear the heavy sweaters, boots, etc.

I'm pretty much in line with KSWL, although I do not wear linen on into the fall, but I do wear some of my "heavier" (? lack of a better word) sandals on into september/october. Black and browns and they cover more of my feet than ones I wear during the spring/summer. My transition is no more summer fabrics and my colors change somewhat.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I don't think it is a silly question. I live in So. Cal. and often see people dressed in what I would term cold-weather clothing on hot days. I dress for the weather, not for the seasonal style. If it's too hot for boots, I wear sandals and save the boots for nighttime. Last year's winter was so mild that I never wore anything heavier than a jeans jacket! If it's 85 degrees and sunny, I don't want to be wearing boots, even if it is November. But plenty of people do ... I wonder how they can stand it!

• rich69b
    9 years ago

Tell me about it! I also live in SoCal, and I think that was last week when it got cooler in the morning. I saw many women were wearing boots at Costco mid-day, when the temp was already approaching 80's (Riverside weather). Looks good, but soooo hot to be wearing boots. Nighttime gets nippy, that's the time I wear my boots.

• sprout26
    9 years ago

Can I just add, I love that some SoCal women break out the furs when it hits 60!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

I think it depends on how long you have been living there as your perception of the temperature is skewed. Boots at 85 degrees does seem rather silly but in the 70s perhaps, not so much.

I used to live in the Palm Springs area and then moved to the mountains of New Mexico. When we were shopping for a washing machine, the sales guy at Lowe's was talking about how many pairs of jeans it could hold. At the time, I was not appropriately impressed, jeans were not a huge part of my wardrobe in Palm Springs. Now I understand.