Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Montreal in December? Yes or no?

dedtired
9 years ago

I have a chance to go to Montreal for a few days in the middle of December. It's a place I've always wanted to visit, although ideally not in winter. Airfare to get there is rather pricey. Driving is out and the train takes too long, so flying is the only option.

Is it worth going or will we be freezing to death and missing the best sights? I am sure it is very pretty with the snow and holiday decorations. We aren't interested in winter sports, more in seeing the city, some shopping and of course a good restaurant of two.

Every guide book I read recommends visiting in spring and fall unless you go for skiing, ice skating , etc.

If it weren't for the expense, I would not hesitate to go. I just don't want to spend a lot of money to go and then miss much of what the city is about. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks -- I mean merci.

Comments (26)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Bearing in mind that I hate being cold, I think Montreal would be just wonderful in December with the lights and decorations. I suspect it will look magical! Since sight seeing and shopping are at the top of the agenda, I would probably go.

Have fun!! :)

• jmc01
    9 years ago

I'd check and see if the sights you wish to visit are even open at this time of year.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Since I've lived in Montreal and it's one of my favorite cities I'm sure I'm biased but IMO visiting Montreal in December could be a wonderful experience depending on your attitude. If your prime concern is the cold climate there are many indoor activities. Getting around should not be a problem with the metro (subway), bus system, and taxis. There is an entire underground city of malls to explore without concern for the weather above and the Botanical Gardens are kept nice and warm for the tropical plants.

It's been years since I've even visited but there is always something interesting to see and do in Montreal. Some must TTD for me are the many year round (farmers') markets, Old Montreal, Schwartz's Deli, fireworks on Saturday evenings, the Botanical Gardens, view and lights from Mt. Royal, and shopping downtown. I used to spend many hours shopping at the Bay alone (large Canadian department store) altho there are many other interesting shops.

Quebecois have a great interest in food and wine so there are countless good restaurants, bistros, and cafes where one can try something different.

Wearing layers, a hat, gloves, and warm winter boots will keep you comfortable.

Enjoy the adventure!

• awm03
    9 years ago

We spent two days there in January a couple of years ago. Honestly, we kept ducking into coffee shops to warm up -- too cold to wander around photographing the sights for me. But we loved the old city and the brisk air (in small doses). We did brave the cold night air to walk to a terrific restaurant near the waterfront, housed in an old women's jail:

Da Emma

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

My daughter and her boyfriend just left today for Montreal (from Boston). She sent me a text mid-afternoon from Burlington, VT where they stopped for a bite to eat. After looking at airfare, they decided to drive, which is an option for them but out of the question for you. I think it will be lovely now and in a month from now. It's a great city. Yes, it will be cold, but you can dress for that. Is it worth the price of airfare? Only you can answer that one. Would you rather go somewhere warm?

DH and I flew to Montreal for our honeymoon so it holds a very special place in my heart!

• Lars
    9 years ago

I won't even go to New York in December (again), but then I have very little tolerance for cold - and definitely do not have the clothes for it. My concern about being that far north in December is how short the days are, and so you will have very limited daylight that time of year.

I would love to visit Montreal, but I would never go in the winter - same for Toronto. OTOH, I have been to Vancouver in November, and the shortness of days did not bother me as much as I expected because the city was so well lit. However, I was visiting friends in the West End, and so many things were very close - discos, bars, restaurants were in walking distance, or a short taxi ride. Also, at that time in my life, I was mostly interested in night life, although I certainly appreciated the daytime activities around Vancouver in late summer.

Lars

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do think I would like to do it. You have convinced me.

I'm sure there is plenty to see and do, even in the cold. If I leave from Newark rather than Philadelphia the airfare is a couple hundred dollars less, although I do have to pay to get to Newark.

Now to see if my friend is also convinced! Thanks so much for your advice.

Lars, I would have a hard time leaving LA and going to Montreal, too. However, it's darn chilly here in Philadelphia in December, so it's not hard to leave at all.

The trip is partially related to business, so that's why we are going to Montreal, not Miami!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

I really like Montreal and have been there a few times but never in December. You obviously know how to dress for a frigid day here in Philly so you should be able to handle Montreal in December. The last time we were there it was for the Montreal Jazz festival and we had a great time. But what really impressed me was when the last group performed and the festival was over - the Public Works department came out and by morning when we got up for breakfast the streets were completely clean. Imagine that happening in Philly.

Now if you had said Quebec I would go in a heartbeat. That's one of my favorite places and I'd love to see it in winter.

You can take Amtrak to Newark Penn Station and then board a shuttle bus for the airport. Since I'm in Burlington County, NJ we take NJ Transit and select a train that has a stop for the Newark Airport - it's not actually at the airport but it's a monorail that goes directly there.

This post was edited by maire_cate on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 19:10

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Maire Cate. I sometimes take Septa then NJT to NYC and go past the Newark Airport station. That is cheaper but slower than Amtrak. Well, first things first -- a decision to go and then buy plane tickets. Wish Quebec were possible!

No, I cannot imagine Philadelphia being cleaned up over night. I do think center city has improved a great deal since the advent of the Center City District and the cleaners who walk around. And yes, I do know how to dress for the cold in the city! Nothing like those winds that go whipping down the urban canyons to give you a chill.

• Lars
    9 years ago

It does sound like you have the clothes and are prepared for December weather. When I went to NYC in December (I think it was 1992), it was for partly to meet with vendors and partly to attend the Interior Design Hall of Fame Awards at the Waldorf Astoria with my boss. She had already received her award a few years before (1989) but we were attending to see someone else receive their award. My hotel was three blocks from the WA, and so I thought I could walk - big mistake! I had never experienced urban canyons with winds funneling through them like that. It was 30 degrees and snowing. I was wearing twice as many clothes as anyone else in NY, and I was still chilled to the bone. After the Awards, I went to a party at Jack Larsen's penthouse in the West Village, and I pretty much took taxis from then on, except when I used the company car service to visit vendors, although some picked me up at my hotel.

I had been to NY for fashion shows when I was doing fashion design in the 1970s and early 80s, but never in the winter - mostly in the spring.

Lars

This post was edited by publickman on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 19:05

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Bring layers and prepare for the possibility of bitter, bitter cold. Especially in the old port, where the wind whips off the St. Lawrence.

That said, the people of Montreal have a completely different attitude toward winter than Americans do. Life goes on! There will be plenty to eat, drink and see.

Get to know the layout of the city as best you can. It's a great city to walk in but it's too big to pick a random direction and wander even in summer.

Since it'll be cold, you really should fortify yourself at Au Pied du Couchon.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

DD texted me from Montreal upon arrival to say they are happy with the location/appearance of their hotel. They are at the Marriott downtown, for which she redeemed points from business travel so it's "free". They were headed to dinner in old town.

We suggested dinner here:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d2236072-Reviews-Les_Filles_du_Roy-Montreal_Quebec.html#photos

There are so many things to do!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Go! You'll also be cold in Philly if you stay home. May as well be cold and seeing something new and interesting. Enjoy yourself.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great tips and advice. It will be cold in Philly but not as cold as Montreal. However, there comes a point where cold is cold. We talked last night and it looks like we may go. Still a few details to hammer out.

Bonnieann, nice to get first hand info. I wonder if we will stay at the Marriott, since the first day is a business meeting (optional for my friend).

Thanks for the restaurant and "fashion" tips, Marcolo. I'm sure I will be well bundled! I better go dig out my Smart Wool socks. Now there is a lovely fashion statement.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I live in Montreal and believe me you cannot tell what the weather will be like at any time anymore.

Like the rest of the world we have had crazy weather patterns not like any of the years of yesterday.
    The last 2-3 years have been strange.

Anyways i changed this listing to Far. from the usual celcius
    and posted this photo for you to see this weeks coming weather.
    Really quite mild during the day. Night time will be chilly if you were to do alot of walking but no need to.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Lyban. That weather is crazy, but so is ours. Just not quite that cold. We had snow for Thanksgiving and highs in the 30's. Now we are in the 50's. Weather patterns have changed dramatically, and in my opinion, for the worse. I don't mind walking around in snow, in fact I like it. What I don't like is shoveling it or paying someone else to clear it away, over and over again.

I need a warm pair of boots that are comfortable for walking. Mind are great for shoveling but kind of dig into my shin when I walk for awhile.

Thanks for your help. I really hope this works out. I am looking forward to it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I went to Montreal a number of years ago for New Years Eve to see an art exhibit and, of course, to party. I think you will enjoy it, it's such a pretty city. And a city lit up for the holidays is very different then a city in, say, February. I fondly recall a horse drawn sleigh ride at Mt Royal, too.

Have fun!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Check out the Sorel books on Zappo's. Santa did some ordering yesterday for DD. I love the Toronto's!
    http://www.zappos.com/sorel-womens~2

Here is a link that might be useful: Sorel boots

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I've lived in Mtl on and off my whole life, it's what I call home, I'm here this weekend and it's not so cold.
    As everyone said above, it varies and you just go with the flow, yes you duck here and there for warmth but if you are warmly dressed in layers, you could do a lot on foot.

It's a rare year that mid december will be sub zero cold but it does happen . I'll be in Boca Raton as of Dec 8 till february. Let us know if you go to Mtl and need more info.
    I now live in the Little Italy part of Montreal but I used to live straight downtown.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

My daughter bought these last year and says they are the most comfortable and light boot she has ever worn

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Delete double post

This post was edited by lyban on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 19:25

• sochi
    9 years ago

Apparently the design and architecture scene in Montreal is hot at the moment. Some prep reading for you:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/design/five-hot-talents-to-watch-in-quebecs-design-and-architecture-scene/article21759775/?service=mobile

I recently bought lamps from Lambert et Fils.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the boot tips. I may have to go to DSW for boots. I already spent his year's shoe budget on shoes for my Italy trip in October.

Mitch, I forgot that you live in Montreal. So there is a chance that we won't freeze to death? Good.

Sochi, I will read the article you suggest. I also spent my entire souvenir budget in Italy, so I may just come hone with a refrigerator magnet. ;)

I can get a really good airfare from Newark to Montreal on Porter Airlines. I have never heard of them. Any good? Like, can they land a plane safely and not lose my bag? Looks like all their flights go through Toronto.

• sochi
    9 years ago

Porter is fabulous, I fly them all the time from Ottawa to Toronto Island airport. A high service/quality, slightly retro-styled airline. New fleet of bombardier turboprops, so not huge jets. Good service, better than most airlines I'd say.

Flying through Toronto is a drag though, that will had a couple of hours flying time. A direct flight shouldn't be too much more than an hour from Newark. The airport Porter flies into in Toronto is downtown though, so good views of the CN Tower and Lake Ontario.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Sochi. I had never heard of them. So far I cannot find any direct flights from PHL to Montreal, or maybe the one stop flights were much less. I'll have to check again.

If I can see Toronto from the plane, then I can check that city off my bucket list. Actually, I loved to visit there, too.

Round trip flights on Porter from Newark are $129 and from PHL the least expensive is $609!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Use this website to see what's going on and to plan your trip. It has English and French versions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Montreal Plus

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource