Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Is this a good iphone gift?

msrose
10 years ago

My 19 year old son has an iphone and I came across this wooden holder. I think the idea is really cool, but I'd like to hear what some actual iphone owners think. Do you think it would make the phone too heavy to carry around in his pocket?

Comments (14)

• jmc01
    10 years ago

Impractical, I would say. I would look for a different gift idea.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I would pass on that if I were you: a visit to the Apple website or store could give you ideas for accessories.

Also make sure you know his IPhone model before buying anything.

Wooden iPhone holder, indeed would be too heavy !

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your input.

The screen on my son's current iphone is cracked. Is there any type of cover that would protect the screen if I get him another phone?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

He can have the screen replaced and it's not too expensive. I have an otterbox case on my phone. It's lightweight, easy to use the phone, and protects it from breaking if I drop it.

• redcurls
    10 years ago

Don't like the wooden case at all. I think it would be just the OPPOSITE of protective. We had a iPhone 4 screen replaced a few months ago. It is half the cost at a place like Gadget Guru than it is by Apple. (Check website to see if one is near you.) We paid $79. Did it in an hour while we waited at the mall. Grandson now has a Lifeproof case on it. Otterbox is what it had on it when it broke, which surprised me.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Uh oh, and there I thought my phone was indestructible now.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

The wooden cases are no heavy at all. I've seen them and though I love wood I didn't buy one because I didn't feel they gave my phone the protection it needs.
    I have an Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4 and love it. My five year old Grandson plays games on it allot and has dropped it often with no damage.

I see Otterbox now has an Armour Series that:
    - Tolerates submersion underwater up to 6.6 ft. for 30 minutes
    - Withstands a 10 ft. drop to concrete
    - Allows zero entry of dust or debris
    - Sustains 2 tons of crushing force
    - Built-in screen protector keeps glass display scratch-free
    - Maintains full functionality of the iPhone 5
    - The Toughest Case Ever Built

The link is to Otterbox's website, but you can find them elsewhere for less money. Since he's already broken the screen I'd say after getting it fixed it would be well worth spending the money to protect it.

Here is a link that might be useful: iPhone Cases

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I agree that the wooden case is probably not a a good idea, but there are tons of camera themed cases available if you like that look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camera theme iPhone cases

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We don't have a Gadget Guru here in Texas. Anyone know where else I could take his phone to be repaired besides Apple?

I was at Walmart yesterday and they had an Impact Gel Xtreme Armour cover. It was only 24.99, so it's hard to believe it would be as good as the Otterbox or Lifeproof, but does anyone have one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Impact Gel cover

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I just checked my ATT online account to see which iphone my son has and it turns out it's not an iphone after all. It's an HTC 1X. Hopefully, I'll still be able to find a cover for it.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Check Amazon for a case. That's where I always buy mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: HTC 1X cases

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

You can still get an Otterbox Defender, but I think the Armour is only for the iPhones.

• golddust
    10 years ago

My newly two year old GGS loves my iPhone and iPad. I downloaded several Learning Apps for him. He is quite the active toddler and my Otter boxes have served me well. I request that he be seated when he is using my gadgets but he has been known to bring it to me while showing me things.

Going to check out the life box.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I've got an android phone and it's cover is a neoprene and hard plastic shock resistant cover. I like the neoprene since it makes it easier to keep hold of. My dog likes to take my phone, so it gets dropped a lot and the neoprene also causes it to bounce, but the hard plastic keeps it impact resistant. It also wraps around the phone, so it protects the screen.

It DID make my phone thicker-mine is super, super thin-about the thickness of 4 credit cards without the case. Now with the case it's about the thickness of an uncovered iPhone 4.