Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Peru & Machu Pichu

gwlolo
10 years ago

Looks like we are going to Peru & Machu Picho in December. Have any of you travelled there? I would love any advice on what to see and do, as well as take and shop for. I know we have the passes for Inca Trail as we plan to hike part of the trail. We are also looking to go to the amazon rainforest for a couple of days I think.

Comments (5)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I went there too long ago to give advice. I stayed overnight at the one hotel at Machu Picho, and then climbed Huayna Picchu the next morning.

I thoroughly enjoyed Machu Picho, but I equally enjoyed exploring Cusco, the city at the base. I stayed in a lovely old colonial hotel. But this was more years ago than I want to count.

I took the train up to Machu Picchu.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I can be of no help, but we are going next Dec.!, so you can help us. : )

We are staying at the Sanctuary Lodge by Orient Express. I understand it is right at the entrance gate. Since Dec. can be rainy, we wanted to make it easier to pop in when the weather favored it, rather then having to schlep from Cusco?

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

GWlolo - My son should be stopping by this weekend and I'll ask him. He and his fiance hiked the Inca Trail in July. If I remember correctly they signed on for the 5 day hike and loved just about every minute of it. The were impressed by the porters who carried all the food and food prep equipment and walked ahead to prepare meals and set up camp. The porters did have to assist one woman by carrying her pack and helping her along the trail. She just wasn't up to the hike and the altitude.

As part of their excursion they spent an afternoon in a small mountain village, playing soccer with the kids and and having dinner with the family. Apparently guinea pig is a delicacy.

Their final night on the trail they camped near Machu Picu so that they would arrive early in the morning and have the ruins to themselves before the rest of the tourists showed up. Their photos are spectacular.

They took this trip 3 months before their wedding and I was so worried that one of them might become ill that DH asked the Infectious Disease doctor at the hospital if there were any health issues to be aware of. He asked the right fellow since this guy has hiked the Trail 3 times. He reassured me that it was safe and that the worst part of the trip was adjusting to the altitude. They flew into Cuzco and stayed there for 2 days before the trip. I think my DIL needed a hepatitis shot - but I'll check with DS.

As for shopping they did return with some beautiful Alpaca knitwear, a few pieces of jewelry and chocolate. They brought me a hooded Alpaca cape with braiding along the edges that I've worn several times.

Trip Adviser is a helpful site too.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g294311-Peru-Vacations.html

Here is a link that might be useful: CDC

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maire_Cate --> Thanks so much for the tips. Would love any additional feedback you can give. Can you ask your son and DIL about Cusco stay --> Is it better to stay close to the city center or be further away? Also what is the food/ restaurant scene like. Anything they liked/ not like?

• sochi
    10 years ago

It's been a few years since I've been to Machu Picchu, but what a trip. Most amazing place I've ever visited. Cusco is fabulous and it is worth spending two days there to acclimatize to the altitude before hiking to MP. I don't remember where we stayed, but it was near the city centre and I'd recommend staying near the centre. Plenty of good restaurants as I recall, it is a tourist town, a fascinating one though.

We also visited Pisco, NASCA lines, Trujillo (pyramids). We unfortunately didn't make it to the Titicaca nor the Amazon, next time. Lima isn't great, but the rest of Peru is pretty fantastic. Enjoy!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville