Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Curtains for screen porch

Sueb20
10 years ago

Anyone have curtains in a porch? Ours has storm windows but is unheated, so at the moment we mostly "use" the porch to walk through to let the dogs out. We used it a lot in the summer and early fall, though (it was just finished in June).

The issue is that our houses are very close together, and our neighbor's driveway is probably 12' feet from the side of our porch. So there's a bit of fishbowl effect. We are friendly with the neighbors and even socialize at times, but I don't want to feel compelled to say hello and/or chat every time they come and go, and I'm sure they don't either. But when you're sitting 12' away from someone, you kinda feel like you need to look up and say hi or wave. Anyway... I would like to do something w/ a curtain on that wall, but I don't know how to approach it both physically/aesthetically and socially. I don't want my neighbor to be offended that I've suddenly hung up this curtain, so I want to say something ahead of time but am not sure how to phrase it. She is easily annoyed so I need to be careful.

And then the bigger question is how to hang a curtain and not make it look stupid. Would love to see pics and/or tips on how to handle a curtain rod, and what type of curtains to use. Maybe just sheers, but are there "outdoor" versions of sheer fabric curtains? I don't want to darken the room so even though I think woven wood shades look cool in a porch, I don't think that's my answer.

This is the wall in question. I'll post another pic of the other windowed wall, which is trickier because there is a door, and also, the privacy issue doesn't apply there but I think it would look weird to have a curtain on just one wall -- agree?

And finally, where would I even find a curtain rod that would be suitable for outdoor conditions?

There is a fence there, as you can see, but because their driveway is uphill from our yard, we can all see each other just fine over the fence.

Another thought as I'm looking at the pic, though -- maybe I could do woven wood blinds and just leave them closed halfway on those 3 windows? That would darken the room a BIT, but not overly so.

Comments (12)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just realized I should have posted this on the other side. Oh well.

Just found this pic of a screen porch that is 10 times nicer than mine, but I love the woven wood shades here. I think this is what I'll try to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: porch w/ shades

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I wouldn't be so worried about outdoors conditions as it is dry on the inside. I think the solution you posted is really nice.

Keep in mind that woven woods don't provide privacy unless they are lined or very heavy. So what you may want to do is line them on the neighbor side and leave them unlined for more light on the other sides. For the drapery panels, if they are washable they should be ok. There is indoor/outdoor fabric, but it tends to be stiff and most won't drape well.

My mom had drapes on her deck (no walls, no windows) and made them out of sheets. Sheets are washable so it worked well.

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

Since the majority of the light comes in at the top of the window, you might consider top-down/bottom-up blinds.
    I do like the ones you linked.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie, we don't need as much privacy as lined shades would provide. Unlined would be enough.

Lizbeth, I thought about that at first too, but the neighbor view comes more at the top of the window, so I think we'd be closing them more from the top. Also, I'm not sure how well top down/bottom up shades work when the "windows" are as long as these are -- they are actually doors installed like windows so they're something like 7' tall.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Looking at your pic again, just think about side panels and how you would hang them...there isn't a lot of wall space at the side wall and in the corner...

You may be better with just the blinds.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Agree with Annie. Like the idea of sheers or drapes for a soft surrounding. But you are going to lose a lot of the window when they are open. Blinds would work better to allow your opening up the room and take advantage of full window views, sun in the winter. Also, blinds would help keep some winter cold out and a good answer to your neighbor if she verbally gets annoyed.

• User
    10 years ago

Lots of people put up curtains and shades for sun control, so I don't understand why you need to explain it to your neighbor, especially since you already have a pretty tall fence between the houses. Suddenly, living with no neighbors is looking better!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I have shades on my screened porch. I wish I could remember what they are called, but they are roller blinds made of a nylon type material. I have a similar problem in that I am "on display" to anyone who walks down the sidewalk. These blinds really did the trick. The important factor is the color you choose. Mine are a sort of wheat color, which allows plenty of light but you cannot see through them during the day from any distance. The salesperson came to the house and held up samples as I stood in the yard to determine the "see-through" factor. The porch remains bright and sunny even with the shades down. They also keep the sun out of my eyes when reading out there in the afternoon (it faces west). I've had them for maybe 10 years and they have held up well.

Darn, wish I could remember the manufacturer, but it is one of the big ones.

• sallymo2015
    10 years ago

Sue, as long as you get rods that are powdercoated, you'll be fine. Several vendors are making those now.
    But, I think the woven woods would be a great look, and you don't have a lot of wall space for stackback with panels.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

This is what I'm planning to do with my patio. I want privacy, don't want screens, and am trying to give the 'feeling' of an indoor room. I worry too much about insects crawling/nesting in fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: patio

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

We have a sunroom off of our family room. It has two sets of glass doors on each side and two sets of windows out the back. I struggled for years and for years left them blank as privacy is not an issue. When I recovered the furniture cushions I put small valances on the back window and put matchstick blinds on the doors. The walls are pine and the blinds are a bit darker. I love the look. They have a header and look nice. They hang by three little hooksnso minimum damage to the walls if I ever want to change.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all. I have the blinds/shades rep coming here next week so will be ordering something soon! Most likely woven wood blinds although she mentioned another option to check out as well.