violetwest

Vote! Vote! Vote!

violetwest
9 years ago

that is all.

Comments (34)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Just got back from doing so! On to painting!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I voted. I was the only person at my polling place. PA has a governor race going on. I hope people turn out!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Voted. Back to packing.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I voted by mail two weeks ago.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I'm going later this afternoon. There was a pretty good crowd when I passed by out polling place at 7 this morning. Always is.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I am waiting on pins and needles for DH to get here so I can leave the shop in his hands until I get back. If he isn't here by 1:00 I am closing my doors with a note that I left to vote and will be back soon.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I am too. My town has a surprisingly low turn out. I was especially shocked when it was the presidential election.

I'll be going later with my DH.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have my sticker! New Mexico still uses paper and pen to fill in the dots, if you can believe it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Violet, I'm in "progressive" Massachusetts, and I used a pen and paper and filled in the dots! It does go into a reading machine, at least!

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I'm so glad we have early voting! I was able to vote last week while at the library.

Will be so happy to not have all the nasty political ads that have filled TV commercial space for months and months.

ML

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Voted this morning with paper ballot also..... The voting place was very crowded. We are voting for governor, senator, representative and three ballot issues. Weather is beautiful here today, so that helps turnout.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

FYI, interesting isn't it? Types of ballots...

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ooh, yeah that is pretty interesting. I guess it's because I've voted in Texas for the past 30 years with fancy electronic polls, and just recently moved over the state line into New Mexico. We're a little backwards there!

We have a governor, senator, congressmen, and several constitutional amendments going. There were about FIVE people (voters) at my polling place this morning. Really discouraging.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I voted early a week ago, and I did some poll work today. Came home for lunch, then I will go back out for a bit. We have had very good turnout in our precinct so far between early voting and today.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Paper ballot here, which I personally don't think is a bad thing.
    Hubby and I just got back from voting.

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

I'm in a vote by mail state. I was comfy and cozy on my couch while I voted last week, which was great because it took me a while to get through the thick voter booklet. I love the ease of voting by mail, but also kind of miss the excitement of going to the polls and proudly wearing an I Voted Today sticker.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Voted first thing this morning. We also use paper ballots. For a mid-term election, it seemed like a decent turnout this morning at 7:00. Of course, that probably means like 20% of eligible voters. Sigh.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got yelled at (discretely) for bringing a voter guide in with me. I don't understand that rule. How are you supposed to remember all the names and items of the votes you want to make? -- there were probably 30 separate items.

• happy2b…gw
    9 years ago

I brought my sample ballot all filled in as a reference. I'm with you, Violet. No one said a thing about it.
    Touch screen voting here and I was very careful and deliberate. Several people I know experienced errors due to calibration defects, but all turned out okay. The media informed the public that there could be problems.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Violet, where did you get the voter guide?

Considering all the trouble I've experienced from time to time with electronic/computer programs, I feel that's a scary way to vote.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Always! I like voting on Election Day. DH votes absentee ballot, as his office hours make it difficult to get to the polls. I am so proud of our 20-year old daughter, who votes via absentee ballot for every election, even though she attends college out of state.
    My mantra is, you have no business complaining if you don't take make the effort to vote . . . and to do your research for it ahead of time.
    Lynn

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Lynn, I couldn't agree more! Don't rely on TV to tell you who to vote for, do your own research before you vote.
    And if you don't vote? Don't complain!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Our precinct has 2793 and my voting number was 842. When I left the lines were long all the parking spaces were filled. It was busier than I've ever seen but normally I go in the early morning.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got a voting guide online published by the League of Women voters.

Maybe a sample ballot would have been allowable, but the sample ballot I printed had such small print I would have needed a magnifier for it to be useable.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I voted bright and early with DH. The hardest part was not getting run over in the small church (polling place) parking lot. The Oldies were out in force! Customarily it is a good day at my sister's breakfast/lunch restaurant. People go vote and then settle in for a meal. I like it.

Not a lot of young people in our precinct, I hope they are out and voting in the rest of them.

Beth

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Thank you Violet.
    If the voter guide had info from the league of women voters, I can see why it wasn't allowed. I thought it was something with a list of who was running where you could write your own choices on.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Definitely here you can bring in notes, flyers, etc.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I did! I did! I did!

I'm also in a vote by mail state, but I was on vacation for the last 10 days, so I waited in line (in my car) to drop it in the box at the county clerk's office.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Yes, I voted early last week. Also proud of my 21 yo daughter who is in college out of state and votes by mail every year!

• golddust
    9 years ago

I did.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Texas is a sad sad place for a democrat. But I guess there's nothing new about that. I just think Wendy Davis is the bee's knees. :-(

• suero
    9 years ago

I voted absentee in person some time ago, because I was an election officer in the Central Absentee Precinct (CAP), processing absentee ballots that are mailed in. Ballots received by mail need the voter's signature and witness signature (witness that the person who is supposed to vote that ballot is that person, not witnessing the vote). Missing either is what is known in my state as a material omission. and is cause for rejecting the ballot. It's sad that folks who have taken the time to apply for an absentee ballot and actually voted and returned their ballot in time, still didn't get their vote to count because they neglected to follow the instructions.
    Each year that I work in the CAP I discover some problems that could be avoided if people were more informed about their rights and the process. For one example, the Post Office does not forward mail from the Office of Elections, so, for example, if you are a student away at school and you have your mail forwarded from your home address to your school address, and you have your absentee ballot sent to your home address (maybe at the time you apply you don't know your address at school), you'll never get the absentee ballot; it will be marked as undeliverable by the Post Office and returned to the Office of Elections.
    The easy fix for this would be to note on the absentee ballot application that the Post Office will not forward absentee ballots. But does the ballot application say so? No.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I'm just so glad it's over. The silly TV ads I can deal with...the robotic phone calls, I have less tolerance for...and don't even get me started about the door to door campaigners. Unless you are a neighbor with an emergency, you DO NOT have the right to ring my doorbell and upset my dogs!!

• bestyears
    9 years ago

Magdalena... just wanted to let you know there's at least one more Democrat in Texas... and I think Wendy Davis is great too! Maybe someday.