Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Milestone anniversary celebrations: What did you do?

Sueb20
9 years ago

DH and I are coming up on 25 years in about 6 months. I was 12 when we got married, BTW. For our 20th, we went to Paris for a week without kids, which was our first time alone for a week since kids came along, and it was awesome. DH also bought me a beautiful necklace when we were there. For 25, we don't have such big plans. We are going to Iceland next summer, with the kids, so you could call that an anniversary trip...even though we usually go on a big trip every summer anyway! I am also eyeballing some anniversary rings...he doesn't really know this yet. ;)

It is really difficult for us to get away without kids, even though they are older (youngest is 13) because their schedules are crazy and we don't have family who can come stay with them. We do have an opportunity to go away for 3 days while youngest DD is on a school trip in the spring, so I think we will call that our "anniversary trip" and tentatively we are planning to visit Charleston, which has been on our to-do list for years.

So I am curious, if you've had a big anniversary, what did you do to celebrate? Gifts? Trips? Just a nice dinner? Or if you have one coming up, what have you planned?

Comments (25)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well we were supposed to go to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons on our 25th, but it didn't happen as I needed surgery. So we went on our 26th. But on our honeymoon we visited the Charles Krug winery so we drank a bottle of 25 year old Krug on our 25th...it was delish. We went to E Eur on our 35th. Sometimes it's just dinner.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

For most of our anniversaries we have made it a point to get away for a few days. Our anniversary is in February so not the best time to travel and it's usually just a few days. We are fortunate to live near the mountains where you can find some great, private, cabins, villas, etc. We're also within 2-4 hours of several great cities and have stayed in some really nice B&Bs or old inns, that type of thing. You are usually pampered at these places so it makes for a nice time. We visit Charleston pretty often and we have gone there a couple of times for our anniversary.

We are neither one into gifts really, just not important to me although at the very least hubby will send flowers to my office. Which I love because then I get to smart-off to the ones who ask "who sent you flowers?" Really? Who else?

Anyway, for our 25th we did do a big gift to each other. That was 7 years ago and we purchased a camper (pull behind travel trailer) as we enjoy our camping trips.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Congratulations, that's great! Especially because it can be so hard to choose wisely when you are 12; was it an arranged marriage?

Definitely take the three days in spring. I think you will like Charleston; when exactly is it though? If it's March, we were pretty cold there last year. You may also want to consider Cumberland Island. It's perfect for a short trip; almost nothing to do but so lovely and charming.

We have someone who can watch the kids, so we do try to go away at least overnight on every anniversary. We would just go to our lakehouse to enjoy the quiet, or go into the city to see the opera or a show, and then stay over and do brunch.

We will be married sixteen years in the spring so haven't really had a "big one" in my mind; 25 I would plan for, indeed! In the earlier years when it was easier to leave the kids (ie when their schedules are less complex) we did go on away on trips, to New Zealand once and Bali once. A few years ago I had a business trip Kuala Lumpur, of all places, and DH went with me and we went to Borneo together.

As for gifts, my DH is pretty good at that, but I am not. He is so cute, he looks up those silly lists "honey, this year is our copper anniversary!' and tries to find something that I would like that relates. I am notoriously picky (you can't hide that from your own spouse) so he is a very good sport trying to buy me presents and he does a good job. I had a friend once who was writing a book of how to lists and she asked other friends for submissions. My DH gave her one that was something like this --- How to buy your wife a gift: 1. Choose something that evokes a memory of when you were first dating or 2. Choose something that shows you listen to everything she says or 3. Choose something one of a kind and special, yet modest, like a college student would pick out or 4. Buy the most expensive of anything.

I used to be really into jewelry, but I'm not so much anymore. First, I have really realized how much of it is fashion. I was really into pearls and I have a ton of Mikimoto all of which I think is totally out (yes, I think pearls are out), ok except the oversized Tahitian grey choker I have. But it has turned me off to jewelry, the waste of it all. I do still like watches, which are a little less trendy (like Cartier Santos IMHO). I don't think diamond studs can go out. About the only other thing I can think of that I would want would be a band of diamonds. But they would have to be big, emerald cut, and all the way around. And I don't want it enough for what that would cost!

DH and I were talking recently about planning a trip together, not for an anniversary but just because it has been so long. I was thinking the Scottish Islands (is that what they are called?) or maybe Provence (been to Paris and the French Alps and French Riviera, but not Provence!). Someplace where you would not feel obligated to sightsee a lot.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you go to Charleston, look up the Wentworth Mansion to stay in. They have a room on the 2nd floor that's on a wing by itself so you have lots of privacy with windows on 3 sides. The room has a fireplace in the bedroom and another fireplace in the bath by the 2 man whirlpool tub...it just doesn't get any more romantic. It's within walking distance of the main attractions downtown. And when we were there, they had a brandy with snifters in the library and we poured ourselves a glass of brandy which we took up to our room every night before we went to bed. It was largely because of that place that we built our LR/library in our new house. They also have cupola up top where you can see all of Charleston....

Here is a link that might be useful: Wentworth Mansion

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

We go on a special vacation together someplace. Usually without the kids, but for our 15th we spent a week on Kauai and rented an ocean-front room at a resort there. Fun, but definitely NOT romantic (LOL)! We would have gotten two rooms but DD was only 2 y/o then and not to be trusted in a room with her 12 y/o brother!
    For our 25th, we rented a villa on St. Thomas in Estates Peterborg overlooking Magen's Bay. Now THAT was romantic! DH has gotten me jewelry in the past, but after 31 years, I really don't need or want any more. For thirty, we stayed home as DS had just recently got home from Afghanistan and out of the Army and was going to be here then (our anniversary is in January). In between years we'll head to a B&B in Santa Fe and have dinner at Geronimo's.
    This January we'll be celebrating our 32nd.
    Lynn

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Congratulations, more for you to celebrate! For our 25th, we had a dinner party at the restaurant where we were married.
    For our 30th, we celebrated at a local restuarant, just the two of us. A month later, we went to Italy for my birthday, so I felt that kind of covered our anniversary too.
    Definetly plan the three day to Charleston. (It's on my list too)

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I don't think we've ever taken a major trip on our anniversary. If it's on a weekend we've taken a weekend trip somewhere nearby. If it's during the week we go out to dinner somewhere out of the ordinary. I'm big on having whatever anniversary event is going to take place on the actual day of the anniversary.

One year we stayed at a historic inn in a small town nearby. Very much enjoyed it. Then I planned something like that again later and DH hated it - nothing to do. So our best anniversary celebration ever was when we went to our summer lake place and packed in all our favorite activities from sun up until late into the night - golf, sailing, kayaking, running, biking followed by cocktails overlooking the lake and then out for a very nice dinner.

When we went to Charleston area we stayed in a VRBO on the beach on Kiawah Island. Wasn't an anniversary but one of my favorite vacations. Depends though if you want to stay in the thick of tourists and tourist activity or drive to see that stuff and then be able to get away from it all.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mtn, LOL, yes, I was wise for a 12 year old.

We'd be going to Charleston in April. Unfortunately it is during school vacation for some, so we might be surrounded by families and kids, but it's not as if we're going to Disney so we can maybe avoid them, for instance by staying in the suite Annie recommends...will definitely check that out.

I am notoriously picky too, so DH usually wants me to tell him exactly what I want for any gift. Lucky for him, I saw a diamond band I loved a couple of years ago and "filed it away" in my mind. What does one get a DH for a special anniversary, though? That is tricky.

Side note: this year for Christmas, instead of giving each other gifts, we are going to Boston (a 15-minute drive!) and having a fancy dinner and staying over at the Four Seasons a week before the holiday. I am looking forward to our 24-hour escape more than I'd be looking forward to more "stuff" to open!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

So true, I think, most of us realize we prefer experiences to things in the long run. I will add decor to experiences, since we experience our environment every day.

DH and I have a big soft spot for the 4S Boston. When we were first dating, he lived in Boston and I lived in NYC. But I had a lot of clients in Boston and visited probably at least 1-2x a month. Our bank had a contract with the 4S so that was where we stayed. Most of my colleagues flew up the morning of, but I was always "conscientious" and flew up the night before! I miss "Au Jour D'hui" though, and I don't even know what's in it's place now. Boston has such great food!

Have fun!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I've been to Charleston on business, but never had time to sight-see. That mansion sounds great!

We just had our 25th a few weeks ago, didn't "celebrate" really b/c our kids are (turning) 16 and 11 (next week) and my mom was visiting my sister's family in CA so couldn't babysit. I made dinner (forget what - pork chops?) and bought a cake. DH gave me a card, I gave him the best card I could find that turned out to be exactly the same as one he'd given me in the past - twice! (He's also gotten the same card for a couple of birthdays, so now we joke I should just file them instead of saving them in our nightstands, and the 2 of us can go through the file to decide which one to give the other that year.)

I don't wear jewelry though I would like a plain wedding band (I got a channel-set half band for our 5th). I've been buying pieces to complete my great-grandmother's silverplate on eBay though.

What DO you buy DH for a special anniversary? I have a hard time just coming up with the regular Xmas/birthday presents for him!

• User
    9 years ago

We celebrate with dinner and a gift, usually not a trip as our anniversary is in February, although some years we have gone to Sundance in January and called it the anniversary trip. Our country club has a Valentine's dance and we've been to that (2/14 is our anniversary), and sometimes we just had a special dinner at home, especially when the kids were small. We are coming up on year 34 this coming Valentine's day, and I am so mired in eldercare issues (mothers on both sides) that we may just quietly ignore this one. Haven't thought much about the 35th, except that we would both like to do an Atlantic crossing on the Queen Mary and play nonstop bridge on the way over!

• awm03
    9 years ago

Bike trips in Italy. A scenic way to burn off all that delicious food.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I just remembered one on my list --- its a little unusual. Aman resorts in Montenegro. Part of it is a tiny village on an island. Always thought it sounded cool.

Edited to add: ixnay on ontenegroMay Amanay. Reviews are mixed, unheard of for Aman brand.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 12:18

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

We don't really do anything special for the milestone anniversaries. For our thirtieth we took a trip to the Adirondacks, stayed in a rustic (bring your own everything) cabin, and spent a week canoeing and hiking. That was fun. We had to drive a fair distance to go out to eat on our anniversary since there is not even a pizza place close to where we stayed.

We stopped giving any gifts to each other many years ago. Except for the occasional "Hey, I saw this today and thought you'd like it." type. Why get stressed out about finding the "perfect" gift when all we really want is a hug and to hear "I love you"?

• tinam61
    9 years ago

"Hey, I saw this today and thought you'd like it." type. Why get stressed out about finding the "perfect" gift when all we really want is a hug and to hear "I love you"?

Roses, that is so true - and so sweet when you get that kind of gift. It's things like that that mean the most! Stuff/gifts is just not important to me. I will say that hubby did get me a beautiful 3 stone ring several years ago and it was not for an important date. It's not diamonds, because I'm not crazy over diamonds (other than my wedding ring).

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

For 10 we spent our first time away from kids--dumped them at Gramas on the way to Canada for a long weekend. For 25 we went to Hawaii for 10 days. Back in the day we had a party for my parent's 25th. That seems like it wasn't that long ago!! They had a small wedding and no party due to my Dad's military constraints, so we felt we should give them the wedding reception they never got. For my MIL's 40th we had a big bash. Are parties out? For my parent's 50th we spent a week at the lake all in one cottage--all their kids and grand kids. Today people have so much discretionary money "gifts" seem unnecessary.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Every day is a celebration with my husband.

Hahahahaha

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, hh.

I like reading all these stories! Thank you all for sharing.

Maybe our kids will throw us a party. We have a 22 year old unemployed DS, a DS who is a freshman in college and actually, we may literally be picking him up at the end of his school year on our anniversary, and a 13 yo DD. We'd be lucky if they could pool their resources and buy us a pizza.

I hope DH and I live long enough to see the day when we can go away without kids without 700 different arrangements and carpools and emergency phone numbers and oh, the kennel for the dogs...

• suero
    9 years ago

For one milestone anniversary we went with our sons and their significant others to France. DS1 proposed to his girlfriend on top the Eiffel Tower. DIL had spent her teen years in France, is fluent in French, and had arranged many delightful events, including several winery tours in Bordeaux. Oh, we also went in May, which is a much more salubrious time to visit, rather than our actual anniversary. And we took TGV from Paris to Bordeaux, which sold me on high speed rail.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Suero, we went to Paris in May for our 20th, also thinking it would be a nice time of year, but it was in the 40s and raining most of the time we were there! Appropriate, maybe, because on our wedding day (in early May) it was also in the 40s with freezing rain.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

We're pretty much like roses, nothing special for anniversaries. Some years we go out to eat, others we don't bother.

i do have a doozie of a 25th story though. A few weeks before that anniversary while on a road trip (sans husband) I had car trouble. A few days later I realized the very small diamond in my engagement ring was gone; I suspect it was or maybe still is in the grass next to I-95 between Cocoa Beach and Miami which is where I was crawling around trying to deal with the car.

So, I was sitting on the couch when I noticed the missing stone--no I'm not the most observant woman. Although it wasn't a large or expensive diamond it was what he gave me when were were young and starting out so, upset, I went into the bathroom where my husband was showering to tell him I'd lost ti.

Whereupon the poor man uttered the most foolish words a husband could come up with: "Well, maybe you want to get something bigger to replace it."

Took me about one nanosecond to agree to that plan and in the end I traded up to a stone 400% bigger than my original and just for good measure to a platinum engagement setting and band. Yowza, I figure that 25th anniversary gift will stand in for all the years before and after :).

Ann

• bpath
    9 years ago

We don't usually do anything special for milestones, but for our 20th last year we went to the Alps. We have air-miles credit cards, so all our groceries, school and activity fees, Lego kits, bills, etc. paid for the trip. One child was at camp, the other was home from college, so the stars were aligned!

Second-born will be in college for #25, and too bad the university doesn't take Visa for tuition and res, so it'll be awhile before our next big trip.

• suska6184
    9 years ago

A little OT, but maybe the OP can clear up my confusion. Your opening line puts you in the neighborhood of 37 yrs of age. I was just reading the post about prep schools where you state you are 50 yrs old. Not that it matters, but I really didn't think my math skills were THAT bad...

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was a joke -- I did not get married when I was 12.

• suska6184
    9 years ago

Oh, haha, guess this is an example of the written word not coming across as the spoken word would.
    DH and I just celebrated our 30th, but did not go on a big trip or have a party by choice. We are planning renovations at home and would rather put money into that at this time. As long as the two of you agree, however you choose to spend your anniversary will be memorable. Congrats!