Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Bad news supplements

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

From this month's nutrition action newsletter:

Researchers tested 44 different single herb supplements from 12 mnfctrs and found 68% contained something different than what was listed, 59% contained plant material not listed on the label, 9% contained only wheat or rice. One listed as St. John's Wort only contained a laxative.

No wonder real food works so much better than supplements! What an expensive rip off!

Comments (22)

• awm03
    10 years ago

This is old news, actually, as warnings have existed for many years that you may not be getting what you think you're buying. Supplements are regulated by the FDA under loose standards (the Dietary Supplement Health and Regulation Act of 1994). The ruling is, manufacturers are responsible for supplement safety, and if the product is unsafe, then the FDA steps in. Since what you're buying isn't necessarily unsafe, then no law is broken. This, of course, is all very different from regulation requiring that the bottle contains what's on the label.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

That's old news. It has been going on for years. Supplements are not controlled by the government.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I wonder which manufacturers are reliable? I wonder what's in those Vitamin D capsules I've been taking for years? My doctor said it is much better to get your vitamins and minerals from food rather than supplements, but that is not always easy.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

You can look for a USP label on the bottle.

Here is a link that might be useful: USP label

• lovemrmewey
    10 years ago

A while back, I worked with a woman from China who would go back home every two years. It is traditional to take gifts to the family and they all requested Centrum Vitamins. Interesting because most of our vitamins and supplements are manufactured in China (or so I read). They must have known something!

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Knowing this makes me wonder why drs. continue to recommend taking them. Never went there because they are darn expensive. Good old media and ads, a haven for making money off of nothing. Which also brings up where they are manufactured. Probably imported and relabeled.

I'd like the FDA to be involved somewhat, but past has shown thier going into areas denying good options too. A gray area for me.

Reality is we need to be personally responsible and there is quality information available to educate for decisions made. Although one has to wade through tons and figure out what is real or not.

Real food...even ones' own garden and farm animals in the backyard. Tis' all complex. Has most likely been this way during our lifetime, but more speaking out now.

If you haven't seen the tomato birth topic in Kitchens, it is worth reading/seeing. Brings up many questions personally. Why a metamorphose is occurring in grown food or if it has always been around.

Monster discussion possible with this topic.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the study referenced was published on October 11, 2013 so the news isn't that old.

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbal supplement contents

• graywings123
    10 years ago

What we mean by old news is that the problem has existed and has been know about for years. I read about it more than 10 years ago.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

It always kind of cracks me up when I hear from people who are so anti-pharma that they won't take a prescription drug no matter how much evidence there is that it will likely benefit them. But they'll take a boatload of supplements that may or may not be what they say they are and may or may not be of any value for their health. So many people believe whatever they read or hear and jump on board without any further research or analysis.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, unless a supplement literally kills someone, it can stay on the shelf. It also doesn't have to actually contain what it does. I'm sure you've read that many supplements contain very little of the active ingredients or may contain harmful ingredients like lead. This is supported in the link Annie posted.

I'm not big into supplements, but I was found to have low Vitamin D this past summer, so now I must.

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry I still feel there are good supplements as well as junk ones.

How can anythink think they're getting all the nutrients from even whole foods? The nutrients in the soil isn't there anymore. Not to mention when you buy fresh fruit and vegetables and store them for days or weeks, the vitamin and mineral content is lost. People also tend to overcook their food.

I'm not against doctors but there have been two very specific times in my life when vitamins/supplements were the answer and fixed my symptoms and deficiency. I've seen the proof.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to be clear, the study was done on herbal supplements, and it didn't conclude ALL supplements were problematic, but that over half of them were. Unfortunately, the study did not reveal which of the 12 manufacturers actually provided what the jar said they did nor did it reveal which 12 mnfctrs were tested.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

It cracks me up to go to a "natural" food store to see aisles and aisles of supplements in pill form. I don't think that there is anything "natural" about that. And major studies have shown there to be little to no benefit from taking multivitamin pills, and even some possible harm. That's not to say that if you shouldn't supplement if your doctor has run tests that show that you have a deficiency. Otherwise I think that you are just creating expensive urine.

Edited to add source

Here is a link that might be useful: Mayo Clinic article on multivitamins

This post was edited by terriks on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 18:17

• graywings123
    10 years ago

And yet, according to the Harvard School of Public Health: "Looking at all the evidence, the potential health benefits of taking a standard daily multivitamin seem to outweigh the potential risks for most people."

It seems as though you can find a study to support any position you want to take. I know that I stopped getting colds when I started taking vitamin D3 supplements. My brother, on the other hand, is battling cancer from smoking and doesn't believe in taking supplements. Everyone gets to choose for him or her self.

• kfca37
    10 years ago

There is an on-line subscription website---ConsumersLab.com---that does lab tests on supplements & actually names names as to those that passed or failed (and in the latter case, why). Its purpose is not to go into how effective a supplement is---they don't test for that--- but rather if it contains the ingredients it claims or if harmful ingredients show up. They also maintain a "recalled" list or supplements & herbal remedies.

I have a sister-in-law who I believe has kept some of her local health food stores in business for at least the last 35 years. I was astounded when visiting her two years ago to open a tall cupboard and see at least six rows full of supplements of every kind. Unfortunately, though she never smoked nor did her two husbands, and, I thought, "healthy as a horse", she was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer last November & is presently still being treated. with some maintenance chemo.

• User
    10 years ago

Taking supplements doesn't make someone immune from cancer. There are a lot of other factors that play into that.

• kfca37
    10 years ago

Geez, I realize that, but bottom line the probably thousands & thousands & thousands of dollars spent over the past 35 years didn't help her for overcoming the "other factors".

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it's like a car....you can do everything to keep it gassed and oil changed...certainly it will run better if you do, but that won't keep the timing belt or water pump from going. We all have to die of something.

But what's annoying about this is there may be supplements that would help someone, but they'll never know if they thought they were taking something but it turns out they weren't so they think it failed when it may not have.

Kfca, I'll be sure to check that site. Thx!

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I agree that taking supplements and eating healthy foods won't prevent cancer. But when you are fighting cancer, you should be doing everything you can to make your body as strong as possible.

I had a foster dog with cancer and the veterinary oncologist wanted her on high doses of fish oil and high quality dog food.

Even if someone has their doubts about the benefits of supplements, it is hard for me to understand why they wouldn't do something as simple as taking supplements if they might help. Edited to add: I meant this in reference to people who are dealing with cancer.

And the irony - in my family - is that the people most resistant to taking supplements are people who have terrible diets, so they are not getting the nutrients from food either.

This post was edited by graywings on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 9:50

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah my Dad was big into all kinds of supplements to stay healthy, but he wouldn't quit smoking...not until he got lung cancer....

• graywings123
    10 years ago

It's a powerful addiction, that's for sure. And sometimes even the cancer diagnosis doesn't change the behavior.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

There are herbs and things out there that are good supplements and very good for some aliments and are used in many prescription drugs. The problem is that people take them not knowing what effects they could have on other organs or if one has some undiagnosed health issues that could be made worse. Some people think just because they are going âÂÂnaturalâ that itâÂÂs all good. It is not! Some natural herbs can wreak havoc on your heart, liver, kidneys and more. I donâÂÂt have any problems with reputable herbal type remedies but do think that people should not self-diagnose. There are doctors out there with herbal science degrees.