Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trying to remember members who fled

Posted by mitchdesj (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 8:07

I'm finding it more and more difficult to go back in time and remember certain members here who have disappeared and that stuck in my memory for some reason !

those that come to my mind right now are mistybear, jonmari, auntjen, squirrelheaven, colormeconfused,
threegrad, Les,

and there are others I forget their names but I could describe by some of their posts but that would take too long- does anyone have any shootouts to put here ?

sometimes I think they all read here but don't post, so I hope everyone is well !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trying to remember members who fled

Thank you for mentioning these wonderful folks -- I miss their posts often -- and I send along best thoughts and wishes for their return! :)

o

I meant shoutouts, feel free to add names that come to your mind !!

o

Not everyone becomes "addicted" to GW.

o

I often wonder about Mari, who had health problems.

I think some people flee, some people go off in a huff, some people get chased away and some just fade away.

There was a guy that used to post in the buying and selling homes forum that was prolific and very brash. When my oldest was looking at colleges, I spent time at the college confidential forum and realized he was posting. I identified him by his constant bragging and personal details. He ruffled many feathers there too.

o

Stinkygardener, Parma, igloochic, bromwynsmom, renofan.

There was someone with a similar moniker to kswl but hers ended in Lisa. And going even further back there was something like sechleremodeler. I think she was re-doing a MCM ranch. I was really looking forward to learning more about MCM and watching the progress.

Pal is still here but not as active and I miss his interesting and informative posts.

Happilady the optometrist/optician?, there was a woman veterinarian.

What I enjoy about this place is all the different lifestyles and views shared. It's a shame when people leave but the upside is new people join in so the changing cast of characters is always interesting and entertaining.

o

Ellendi - no one is talking about being addicted to GW. These were long time posters who most rather suddenly stopped posting. Many of us still here miss them and are concerned.

o

I've only been here a few years, but I hear a lot about johnmari. What was she like?

I miss stinkygardener! And igloo was so funny. And I wish Pal would post more often too.

o

Megan was the vet I believe.

A lot of the ones I was thinking of have been named.
Scoobyruby.

I was trying to find Renofan's last post with her new house a while back and couldn't - if anyone knows where to find it, let me know.

I believe AuntJen and Threedg have different names. I haven't been on as much, but haven't seen them post as frequently.

o

I can't remember her name, Eileen something? She was from AZ and had health and Job issues. I remember her posting form the library computer for a while. I wonder how she's doing.

o

Ah, Megan was the vet, I was thinking it was an "M" name but only came up with Mollie and I knew that wasn't right.

Like mitch, I can remember crazy details about complete strangers from their posts but I can't remember their login names so it's hard to offer a "Hi, how you doin'?" and a by name shout out.

Johnmari could sure tell a funny story. She was an entertaining writer with an interesting life, a winning combination.

Monablair has become quite a rare poster; I think she's online friends with Johnmari. If she sees this I hope she pops in to say hello and tells Johnmari we were thinking about her.

Flyleft. Sweeby.

I didn't take ellendi's comments as negative, more as joking about the rest of us and our continued addiction. I think a few people had life changes, like new jobs and divorce, so they don't have as much free time for hanging out here. I'd guess some finished their projects and lost interest in a design site.
Whatever takes them away, I hope all is well.

o

Interesting, I was wondering about some of these folks too!

This is the only forum/message board I ever use and I guess it must be an addiction because I almost always check in while enjoying my other addiction: coffee.

I remember bronwynsmom was having some health issues in her family; have wondered if she'd come back and check in.

I don't remember stinkygardener ever saying anything about leaving, but she did seem to drop off very suddenly as far as I can tell.

o

Thanks hhireno, exactly!

o

I've been thinking of some of those folks too lately. I had been trying to find a post by sarschlos_remodeler and came across some of those old names.

On another forum I was on (homeschool), a lot of the people stopped posting when they joined facebook, and started spending most of their time there. I talked to a friend who used to blog daily, and she has let her blog go because of work and she finds it easier to instagram.

I guess we all evolve and find new distractions, but I do miss a lot of the people mentioned in the previous posts.

o

Ah, a trip down memory lane. I miss them too! A recent dropout is Oakley. I wish they would all come back!

o

Lisa is kgwlisa and I hear from her once in a while on another private forum. She was doing well and busy with work (architecture/design) and her young son.

o

Natal used to be a regular poster here, too, and hasn't been around much either. I miss her and all the rest of the great people listed above.
Lynn

o

Chispa, what do you mean by a private forum?

o

And magnaverde, Les...

o

Marcolo and Dianalo

o

Ocheanna?

o

Oceanna! She was one of the first posters I remember communicating with here.

Ajsmamma and Mldao.

o

Stinkygardner is the one I've been wondering about. Sunny Cottage? Christine Freeman?

o

There was a Debbie something who I enjoyed visiting with here. Her son went to college somewhere in another country. I remember she visited him and posted wonderful pictures of her trip...

o

Linda on Antiques. Magnaverde, as was mentioned before. ColorMeConfused, the mention of whom really dates me.

o

CMC is fine, busy and funny as ever.

kgwlisa is now designing kitchens.

o

I'm not here as often as many others, but several names I remember. I've never been on a forum where so many members come and go, but understand life happens.

Someone mentioned auntijen and sunny cottage. I believe auntijen changed her name to sunny cottage awhile ago, but seems to be missing. She last talked about a possible kitchen Reno so may be busy with that.

o

Auntjen did change her name to Sunnycottage. We frequent some of the same TripAdvisor forums, so I have seen her pop up there now and then. There was a poster with a name like Acountryhome? who lived in and owned a business in the same city where my sons went to college, and actually gave one of my sons a gift certificate to her family's restaurant because of something I posted here. Threegrad lived in Arizona I think, and did have health issues, including cancer. I know that some of us contributed to her via Paypal. Flyleft and I got together in Portland one day last year. I really enjoyed meeting her. I really miss reading JohnMari's witty posts. I had many a laugh out loud moment reading them. And we can thank Oceanna for so many "eye candy" posts in the Gallery.

o

I recall Acountryhome, she had a very large family and was building a very large home!
I can't remember if it was in kitchens or this forum but there was a highly enjoyable thread written in poetry (well, silly rhymes). Igloochic was most impressive.

o

I think DebbieinNJ or something like that. then she moved somewhere, like Ohio? She was a sweetie!

I miss all of those mentioned! I wonder about Magnaverde.

And of course JohnMari, Auntjen, Sweeby, Pal, flyleft, and all the others mentioned. I hope they are all doing well and are just too busy with other fun things. It makes me sad that some of them left because of conflicts here.

Did someone mention Squirrel? Squirrel something? she did so many visuals for people. Another sweetheart.

o

Squirrelheaven did a lot of photoshops for folks. KitchenKelly is gone too, sure loved those morgue drawers she had in her kitchen.
I understand from reading the cooking forum that LindaC had been banned.
3Dgrad changed her name to something similar and had posted within the last 6 months I think.
I imagine Igloochic is busy with her son and her renovations to her gorgeous Victorian.

o

Gosh there are so many old friends that no longer post here for one reason or another that I can't name them all, but I do wish they'd stop in now and then to let us know they are okay. I worry about Threegrad not letting us know how she's doing. Cancer is such a terrible beast.
SquirrelHeaven did such awesome virtuals.
Aunt Jen's/SunnyCottage home was so colorful and fun.
Igloochic had such a beautiful unique home.
I'll stop there because I need to get busy around here with hubby coming home tonight and it's past noon already.
I'd be happy to hear from any one of them via Private Message if they don't want to post on the board.

o

Flyleft was a huge help to me prior to my carpal tunnel surgery. Most of the long gone members I recall were from the Kitchen Forum, where I started. There was a woman called BethinTokyo that I liked a lot and she is now gone from GW.

o

Haven't seen Kevin in a while either.

o

Gosh and another sweetheart, I am losing it I can not remember her name. I think it started with an R. SHe had an AMAZING white kitchen with marble counters and very dark brown floors I think. and had lots of gallery walls, and a pink or red dining room, and little religious icons on the walls or something (she collected them I think). :0 I sound like a stalker. I just always thought she was so nice!

o

I miss chijim & his gorgeous photos of layered rooms.

o

boop, I think I know who you are talking about. Her home and her collections were amazing!! But I can't remember her name either.

o

I remember her! Wasn't she rmkitchen? She was so interesting.

o

Yes Gail! rmkitchen!! She is a wonderful, brilliant person.

o

Pal just posted this week on the vegan thread.

Threegrad and Eileen are the same person. She has posted not too long ago, using a different name, but I can't remember what it is!

tina

o

Boxerpups. She always found just the right examples and often multiple examples when someone was stumted with decor choices.

o

There was a woman poster years ago with modern taste and lived in a large city. She inquired about some white, organic looking vases and in the same time frame, questions about cashmere blankets. Overall, she was quite interesting/sophisticated and I have often wondered if she bought those vases! And how her place turned out.

o

I miss all these people, too. Amazing how we are impacted by and invested in people from this forum - it is a community in the truest sense.

I will never forget Mari's description of her backside - White girl, flat, square a$$ !!! Her posts were filled with such humor (sometimes at her own expense) and fleshed out her personality like few others here can do.

Did anyone save the article about Magnaverde from Oprah's magazine? I think that's where it was. Can't remember the details for sure (I hate having an old brain) but wan't it about his involvement with a certain old building and the Historical Society? Or something like that.

o

Thanks Tinam61

o

bumble, I remember that poster also !! she was very active for a while and because she was decorating in a very modern style , she stuck in my mind.

o

I remember all those posters! Rmkitchen was super wonderful, as is stinkygardener and many of the others. People do come and go, different times of life and all that.

Does anyone remember the extremely belligerent guy who was always whining about his health and reacted with such defensiveness when anyone made a suggestion? He was here for one reason only--- unmitigated praise--- and I think he was finally banned. He used to get angry when he thought people spent too much money on an item or project, or when he saw photos of people's houses. You wouldn't normally think of gardenweb as an explosive kind of place, but he was a firecracker.

o

Homemaker. I think I saw a post from her not too long ago, but it had been awhile. I know she had a young daughter at home that needed lots of loving attention, so maybe she doesn't have time. I remember she always gave practical advice and helped me out in a pinch by buying stools from IKEA and shipping them to me - I still can't believe she did that! We use them everyday.

o

What a lovely thing, to browse the forum today and find this thread. Thank you so much for remembering me! I have certainly not forgotten you all, and I do come here from time to time and read through as many of the posts as I can. I miss participating regularly, though, and to be honest there's no real reason for my lack of participation -- just busy with other things, I suppose! Unfortunately, we've not started on any of those big home projects that I've mentioned in the past. I have, however, continued to tweak and play around the house, still very much in love with vintage decor! About the most exciting thing that's happened is ordering additional curtains for our living room. Oh, and we have a precious new little one - a plush kitty-girl who adopted us a few months ago, and is now called Penny (and has gone from skin-and-bones to plump-and-sleek in no time flat!).

So nice to see you all. Thanks for this thread! :-)

o

Well hello there Jen! Great to have you stop in. Please don't be a stranger. Would love to see pictures of Penny.

o

I miss Newdawn. I always enjoyed reading her posts - she had a way with words. She popped in not too long ago, but I haven't seen her again since.

o

Igloo is doing well, just very busy with many things. Right now it is doing 10 or 12 trees and the house, before the homes tour on the 4th od Dec. as for working on the house, well other then changing a Thomas train room to a
Dino room, and what was my room ( when I lived out of town). To a bright colored circle, and train room (for a three year old they hope to have home in march or so.) along with redoing an office building for there business ,and last but not least school things for a 7 year old , she shall we say busy to the max.

o

Thanks for the update on Igloochic, themommy1. I hope you told her we miss her here.

o

I think that many of the most appealing posters use this forum as a stepping stone to other things. They hone their skills here and move on to their own blogs or business and then become too busy to post.

We should be proud of ourselves for being good mentors. :)

o

Hi Sunnycottage, I'm glad all is well with you !! and mommy thanks for the news on igloo !!

o

Good to hear from you, Jen! I miss many of the posters mentioned, too.

o

Waving!!! Hi Jen!

Glad to see you around here -- can you believe our weather????? The temps have dropped 40 degrees and we may a sleet tomorrow!

Please post photos of Penny when you can! :) She sounds adorable! :)

o

Glad you popped in Jen! You are missed!
I miss Newdawn too.

o

Is amysrq still around? I enjoyed her comments.

o

I'm still here, though not nearly as much as I used to be. Our business is keeping me busier than I'd like, but that's better than business being slow.

Judithva is the wonderfully talented lady who shared photos of her tablescapes. I believe she last posted the end of October when she shared photos of model homes she'd visited.

Amysrq has a thriving business now. It's called Amy Woolf Color Consulting.. She was so good at selecting colors she decided to pursue training in that profession and she's quite successful. You can find her on Facebook under Amy Woolf.

I haven't heard from mari in some time. I suggested she rejoin under a new name if she felt uncomfortable about possibly being asked about personal problems. I hope she's done that, but somehow I think her spirit has been too broken for her to deal with our discussions. I miss her; she really had lots of info to share.

I enjoyed reading about what some of the "oldies" have been doing. I, too, miss those that used to fill these threads.

I often wonder, if anyone of us should pass...would our relatives even think to let any of our online friends know? or would we just wonder what new adventures they're up to now?

o

Hi there monablair. I'm happy to hear your business is doing so well. In these times that's good news.

I've often wondered about those that disappear too as a dear online friend I knew did pass awhile back and it was so hard on those of us that loved her.

o

I do sometimes wonder about mari because she shared a lot about her life here, then left under such mysterious circumstances -- I mean, without explaining anything. I have wondered if her health issues got a lot worse, or if she split with her husband... in any case, I do miss her contributions.

Hi Jen! Miss your contributions, too!

My family doesn't know anything about GW so if anything were to happen to me, it's not as if DH would log on and let you all know. Is there anyone else whose family isn't aware of their GW addiction? DH is addicted to Flickr but I wouldn't know how to log in there to let his "friends" know if anything happened to him!

o

My family has heard about my imaginary friends. I'll have to leave instructions with my final wishes - a DNR (do not resuscitate) order, who gets my few valuable possessions, use my iPad to tell my IFFs I'm gone and be sure to provide a full description of the casket and how the flowers were arranged.

o

My closest family members 'know' a few of you. Hhireno, it's strange to read the term 'imaginary'. I think of this forum in terms of modern day 'Pen Pals'.

o

Pen pals is much better! When I was a child I had an imaginary friend so when I mentioned something someone here wrote my family asked if I had imaginary friends again. If I refer to anything I learn here, I tell my sisters it's from my IFFs, instead of BFFs.

o

Ha ha ha hhireno! That's cute.
golddust Pen Pals is a great way to think of our online friends. Although we don't use a pen. Some of my online friend are like family so I think I'll call them keyboard kin.

o

Hi! How nice to see a list of familiar names and to know that I haven't been forgotten ;-)

I'm still 'sort of' around, but have been very busy with work (a blessing, as I'm self-employed) and haven't been doing any substantive remodeling. I really miss not having a remodeling project and the resultant wonderful advice and camaraderie of this group.

For those of you who remember my personal life, older DS is very happy in medical school and younger DS (special needs) is almost 18, drives, has a part-time job and a new girl friend -- all really exciting developments. Hubby is working out and doing really well - fit and fabulous at 60. And I'm trying to get myself into the right frame of mind to go back to Weight Watchers and get my Mojo back. I know I can - just have to be in the right mindset...

Hope the other 'old timers' will chime in with their updates --

o

Nice to see you check in sweeby. Have you thought about using My Fitness Pal? It's online and free and I've lost over 32 pounds using it with very little exercise since I rarely have time to do so. Well I would if I stayed away from online groups.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Fitness Pal

o

Hi Sweeby !! so nice to "see" you !! this thread has been rather fun, getting news and hearing from absentees.

I never seem to take breaks from GW, people must be sick of me. I'm always up so early, I always have a few hours to myself, no matter where I am, and how busy my life is.

My family also would not know to update you if something happened. Although over the years a few people have emailed me and would know to send me a message and I assume DD would read those. Who knows ?

o

I can't believe no one remembers that obnoxious guy--- he dominated the design forum for months and months...maybe everyone else has blocked him from their collective memory!

o

Every time I see this thread, i laugh at the term "fled". Is that the only way to get away?

I think it would be normal to use this site for a given time period and then have no use for it.

I am not normal.

I think my natural decor obsessions (which date to my preteen days) are enabled here. I think I do more projects because of GW.

And, SueB --- obsessed? For a long time I did not know how to check GW on my phone and felt it was cumbersome to do so. I have since bookmarked it. Still not a very good screen, but anyway. The other day, i found myself looking at GW --- at a TRAFFIC LIGHT.

I really miss Marcolo's humor and insight. And Bronwyn's Mom, for her lovely anecdotes and spot on advice. That reminds me, what about CAWAPS? They did a lot of the DAT stuff.

And bunch other people whose names I can't recall.

o

What are CAWAPS and DAT?

...off to bookmark GW on my phone...

o

mtredux, I should have written "escaped" , fled is funny in a way. I just had a visual of little poufs of air fleeing in the sky….

I noticed some older members in the "hot topics" forum,
I go snoop there once in a while.

o

LOL, Sue, DON'T do it.

Design Around This threads = DAT. Remember those?

I don't know what his/her name was, I just recall the screen name CAWAPS because it was so odd and I could never figure it out but I liked some of his/her stuff.

o

Lynn, if the Natal you are talking about is Natal Star she is still here but mostly a lurker. I received an email from her tonight.

o

Kswl - :) And here I thought I was the only one.

Thinking about this last week, I remember Workinprogess & Lindybarts.

o

Thanks, Shee-- I was beginning to think id imagined the whole sordid episode, lol! Also remember lindybarts and workinprogress--- and I remember when you were newly pregnant and decorating your nursery not so long ago!

I was a lurker in 2005 before I ever registered.... I guess that makes me an old timer as well.

o

Good thread mitchdesj--lots of names I recall from eight and nine years ago when building.

It's good to hear most are still around if not frequenting this forum as much as in the past.

o

I could never figure out if marcolo was a man or a woman. I enjoyed the posts, though. He/she seemed quite knowledgeable.

I also read the cooking forum sometimes. I didn't know that LindaC had been banned- did someone mention that here? I wonder why. And I find dcarch's posts entertaining.

o

Do any of you have any idea of what might have caused members to *flee* ? I am pretty much just a lurker; but I wonder if the topics became too mundane?? ... *which shade of white*? etc.

o

Chelone the sewing expert.

o

Oh yes - I remember Chelone -- she was wonderful. I was sad to see her go and always hoped she'd come back. I think she owned a company that made custom awnings.

o

I miss chelone too. I think she was run off because her responses were always very short. Ie straight to the point and in some cases may have ruffled some feathers, but I liked that about her.

This post was edited by lyfia on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 10:10

o

Me too. I was very much enjoying watching her new house being built too. Wish we could see how it turned out.

o

Yes, She was right to the point and she was amazingly gracious with her sewing knowledge.

o

Kswl - Time is flying. Running and chatting away now.

Remember Brutuses? I'm assuming they finished their new house. How about Acountryfarm. Her house was beautiful - those glossy white ceilings with all that light.

o

Sheesharee - ;)

o

...Brutuses?

o

Chelone, indeed her knowledge was great, she was taking care of her mum if I remember well, I agree Lyfa, it did not bother me that she did not mince words. I thought brutuses came back under a new screen name, she was fun !

o

I wish I could remember all the names-I've been part of GW for more than 15 years and there are some I have never forgotten.

I must say, a couple years ago when my life was completely turned upside down, I received more love and support from my 'village' than I could have ever imagined. My family and I are so greatful for those who embraced us during that year of hell. I've made some amazingly wonderful friends as a result-and I miss those that used to post regularly back then.

o

Oops! Maybe it was Brutuses who had the awning company. Was it Chelone or Brutuses who moved out of New Orleans after Katrina and was building a new house with her husband?

o

Hi Gail and Bumblebeez. Thanks for mentioning my name, how sweet.

I don't know why I stopped checking in at gardenweb. Although, I pop in from time to time, but, not often. I do think of old conversations and the fun I use to have on here.

Oh, I loved johnmari. I would of loved to have her as a friend in real life. She probably never imagined how much we loved and enjoyed her posts. What a writer she was, no? Come back JohnMari!

I remember Brutuses and she was from New Orleans. She was hurt and angry when she left. Although, I don't remember why.

Remember Parma? Her husband and her use to travel to Paris quite often. Remember?

Hi Aunt Jen!

Jane from Alabama.

o

JANE! so happy to see you pop in! Please come back and tell us what's up with you!

tina

o

Yes, I miss Parma too. She just disappeared. So it was Brutuses I was thinking of. She and another poster kept having disagreements and, sadly, she left. Wish she would come back. Jane, so nice to hear from you! I really miss your posts. I always thought you should be a writer. Wish we would hear more from you!

o

Yes Brutuses was in New Orleans and they were building a new home. I remember the lovely shade of pale green/blue/aqua (?) paint in a picture she shared - and also the beaded board. I would LOVE to see the finished home. I do remember an altercation and some accusations, but I cannot remember who she was at odds with. I miss her posting also.

o

...or Acountryfarm? C'mon don't leave me wondering. :)

Hi Jane!

Oh yeah, Parma!

I haven't seen Redbazel in a long time either. I believe she was getting ready to move.

o

Parma and her purses ! Hi newdawn, your picture just appeared in my head, a thread about hair, I think.

o

roccogirl (I think that is the name anyways) is another I've not seen in a while - awesome rug knowledge. I learned so much from her.

Chelone I thought was in the north east for some reason or at least that is what I pictured in my head. Great advice related to anything sewing.

o

Sorry it took so long to get back here. Christmas is just around the corner and I just started two days ago. Yikes!

Tina how are you dear? How are things in Tennessee?

Hi Sheesharee. Did I read that you had a baby?

Hey Mitchdesi. Yes, it was me that talked about hair. Hair is everything.(lol)
I remember your picture too. You've been on here a long time, huh?

Gail, a writer, huh? I think I love you.

Listen I am just about to jump into the shower and then go Christmas shopping.

I promise to write at length after the first of the year. I want to hear about everyones Christmas.

Bye for Now.

Jane

o

Hi all! I think of people here quite often and truly miss some of the folks' input here. I was thinking the other day about JohnMari. I hope all is well with her. Ascerbic wit, heart of gold, etc.

I am happily in yet a(nother) house here in Colorado, but find that as I age I care less and less about it looking like a magazine! I've had some pretty places, and as I've moved away from them I realized that NONE of my memories came from how they looked, but rather the memories within them. (I"m a real estate agent and also reno-addict at heart, I STILL do try to maximize each place to it's best potential, but I don't spend time obsessing over it like I used to.)

Current house view means I care a LOT more about looking out the window than I do decorating what's behind it. ;)

o

Me and my other half at Christmas this year.

This post was edited by reno_fan on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 10:40

o

Hey Reno :). I still remember how fast you could whip a thing,or space, together. We all enjoyed coming here each day to view your lightning- like progress! Glad all is well .
Another I've missed had darling cottage style home with picket fenced garden, in Costa Mesa, Ca., then moved to Ky.. And disappeared from this forum. Shoot! Can't remember her name. Was looking forward to seeing what she'd do in her new , much larger garden.

o

HI Reno and Newdawn !!!

o

What a lovely thread to visit :) Thank you for the kind words.

What makes a member flee? Well life can be an issue, and that was partly my reason but there was also another poster who was sending me some terrible terrible stuff personally and I didn't want to be around it. That person has since been banned. But that said, life also gets in the way.

The other issue was the danged ipad. See I normally used a computer and so I was able to post at night and participate. The ipad made that so much harder (posting pictures) but I think I may have figured it out so I'm going to try again because frankly this forum is one of the best I've experienced online, ever.

Mom told you much of my life's update. I did spend a few months in hospital last year after a surgeon made a boo boo. I spent most of my focus trying to figure out how to get me back :) I started doing design work on commercial properties (just finished a building in anchorage for our company and it's lovely if I do say so myself LOL) and of course we always have this big box to deal with.

I'm deeply embroiled in piles of paperwork and government intrusion :p as we complete the adoption process for your dear little boy Wynn who is in China right now (He turned 3 on Dec 7th).

We opened the house for a charity tour this year (some folks may remember we did that four years ago and I thought it was a huge job putting up all six trees....lol this year I did 21). So now Iggy will be fully focused on removing said trees before they become tacky easter decorations...

I don't use my old email anymore so if I missed a shout out from someone I'm sorry. Sue, smooches....wow how many years back does that go? My little red head is now 8 Sue! And for those who knew of his illness, he has finally grown out of it (they said 7 to 9) and aside from a lasting feeding disorder, he is a healthy, though small, little red headed monster.

o

Just remembered the Ca. Poster who moved to Ky. Cat knapp.

o

igloochic - so glad you popped in to give us an update, although I'm sorry to read of your hospital stay. Great news that your son has outgrown his illness. I remember your posts (and the chicken ? rooster? backsplash in your kitchen) on the kitchen forum years ago.

As for your current home - was that a typo? 21 trees? Surely you meant 12.....

Congrats on the upcoming adoption and hope to see you here again.
Maire

o

Very nice to see so many "old" names here.

Redroze pops in every now and then, but I miss following the progress on her house.

Igloo! So glad to see you post here! I have been worried about you, I wonder if you have not seen any of my emails. I'm so sorry you were ill last year. Please drop me a line when you have a minute.

o

igloo, you seem to have kept your spirit !!
nice to get your update !!

o

good to hear from so many "old" folks!
Igloo so happy to hear about the little guy doing so well! My DD is well and is getting married in May! I did send you an email to your old email a couple of months ago I think.

o

Thanks for an update Igloo. I have missed your posts.

o

Maire_Cate, just to confirm , it was not a typo. Igloo did 21 trees in her house plus all the mantals and other room stuff you do.

o

Igloochic's Mom - that is truly impressive. I wish I could have gone on the tour, maybe she'll share some photos. I can only imagine how lovely her home looked.
Thanks for posting the correction.

o

I hope everyone who has posted here, knows how wonderful they are. This is such a gracious memory walk from all and says a great deal about each of you as an individual with honor and respect. I have been on here forever, but not much of a poster. The people you have mentioned though are well remembered.

I reread the entire post, to remember each of you and those mentioned. Even though I'm unknown, all have been kind in their responses and want to thank all of you.

This post got me wondering how many may have changed their screen names. Admission I did, due to constant abrasive comments on another forum. Sadly that person has put the forum in idle and it is now rarely used, everyone seems to have "fled". I do see some of the posters gravitated over here and pleased they found a home also.

I just recently saw a post here from oceanna....it was a wonderful surprise. She worked so hard to build our gallery and take the time to comment/respond. With all the new sites to seek decor ideas, I still wander there to find something.

Hopefully none of us have to flee in order to applaud the great still here. And thanks to all for so much input and being gracious.

Loved hearing from so many mentioned.

o

Greetings from your past!!

This morning, I received a color consulting inquiry from someone who found me here. I thought I might pop in and see if I could track back. This thread showed up and it has been a wonderful trip down memory lane for me, too!

I checked out a few years back because my business has grown and pretty much taken over my life! I am very happy to be talking color with clients, face-to-face, just like the old days here on GW/THS. When I am asked how I got my start, I always mention my participation here and how it helped me hone my ability to talk color. I wrote my posts with a lot of care, knowing how difficult it is to convey ideas across the chasm of the internet. That skill-building has helped me immensely in my consulting, and for that, I am grateful.

I had lunch with another IACC color person today and I mentioned you guys here and all the fun I used to have being part of this community. I recently started sending out newsletters and when I built my mailing list I came across names from here, from the past. How nice that was...Parma, KGWLisa, Jamies, Rococogrl, so many.

I remember CMC blowdrying her hair with a heatgun. Housekeeping/Molly's deep well of knowledge about just about everything. (She disappeared suddenyl when her husband fell ill and it always saddened me. She was incredibly generous on the Laundry Forum.) Jen's grandparents and her decor-life-changing trip to England. Allison's...well....everything! DLM's wonderful sons. Mitchdesj's amazing artwork and light fixture...and her beautiful daughter. Judigals' tomato canning project. Stinky Gardener's Queen Anne Pink living room. Parma's dining room niche. Funcolors' endless font of color intelligence. OakleyOK and all of her various projects, including some paint which I helped her with. Cooperbaily's front porch curtains (and the doggies, of course). Bruteses Grecian Green foyer. Mari's Wet Concrete, a color I specified twice last year, and thought of her each time. That color will forever be Mari's color to me! Pirula and her F&B colors. KGW's front door and the bathroom to die for. FlyLeft's mosaics - I got to meet her in person when I went to Oregon for a wedding. Also met up with Rococo in NYC at a design show. happy to say that BeeKeeper'sWife and I have been in regular contact for about two years now, mostly chatting about color and business.

I remember the icky combative guy. Very well. Was it Jason?? Oh well....hope he is better now.

So, hugs and kisses to all of you! I have enjoyed the reunion. I'll try to pop back in before long.... If you ever play in other sandboxes, you can find me on the "tome of visage" or the place that ends with ZZ. ;-) Be well, my friends!

This post was edited by amysrq on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 18:56

o

signed on looking for igloochic, first thread to open is this one, what fun to read! Hi everyone, nice to see you still here. Anyone on Pinterest? I did not know they limit pins and was so frustrated when I maxed. Is there a limit to participate here?

o

Chelone and Mari are the two people who alway pop in my head. Chelone was so helpful when it came to drapes. And I always so enjoyed Mari's posts. I hope they are both well.

o

So nice to hear from you, Amy! When I saw this thread at the top of the list again, you were one of the two people I thought of before I opened the thread-- you and Parma! I do hope she's well also. I hear and see some of what's going on with your business on FB and through Beekeeperswife (who lives nearby). You bring such great energy to your videos-- your clients are lucky to have your enthusiasm, spirit and talents working for them. And I am the recipient (once-removed) of one of your recommendations-- I have gray owl in my bedroom (thanks Bee!) and I couldn't be happier with it!

I wish you all the best with your business.. and life! Please do stop in more frequently!

o

Ajsmamma

There's an ajsmama who posts on the Tomato forum occasionally (I just replied on a thread she started there, then happened to see this thread in the recent-threads list on the right -- I'm getting so distracted by that!).

o

Anyone heard from Les?? She always had a great eye for room arrangements and color. Is she still here occasionally? Do you remember her??? When she spoke I listened hehe

o

Amy what a treat to see you here and I'm flummoxed that you remember my boys - how sweet of you! I recently started following you on FB and will have to check you out on Pinterest, too. One of these days..... we'll have a new house in NC and I'm determined NOT to go it alone this time and take a decade getting colors settled - I'll be in touch!

Les always amazed me with her ability to see a space without pictures. And I don't think anyone was better at room arrangement solutions. I do miss her and hope all is well. I have a vague recollection of a health issue with her DH.

o

I just noticed this post today. What a wonderful trip down memory lane and I, too, miss all those posters. I've been in here for so many years and hope to be here for many years to come. It's been a source of comfort, friendship and information. For me, it's been like visiting friends.

o

A few of you mentioned the issue of, what if we passed away....
A heard an attorney speaking about getting your affairs in order. She said the newest thing she recommends is leaving instructions about your on line life. How to log into your accounts like facebook, pininterest, blogs, forums, etc. and what to post and how to delete accounts. I think this is a good idea and plan to do it this week. I'll write everything down and tell my family where it is.

I sometimes think about posters on this forum and other gw forums that seem to suddenly disappear and worry something bad might have happened.

o

So Auntjen=Sunnycottage?!
(I had forgotten that!!)

Yay! How are ya Girl!??!?!

Faron

o

Debra, I've heard of that too. I heard that some close friends and family members like their loved ones fb account open to use as a memorial and place where they can openly talk about their loss. And ofcourse fb doesn't want them removed because it keeps their numbers up when charging for ads.

o

Funkyart, thanks so much for your kind words. I seem to recall a certain stairway. Was that you? And, I am glad you like the Gray Owl, too!

DLM, please drop me a note if I can help with the NC house. I remember when you were first starting to look/consider. Glad to hear that dream has come to fruition!

o

Not an old-timer, but I wonder what has happened to Anele. I always enjoyed her posts and her beautiful girls. Does anyone hear from her?

I concur with missing Les. She always had the best eye and ideas.

o

I was mostly a lurker, occasional poster. Now I seldomly check here. I recently posted on discussions, but I don't get many responses or the help in looking for, so now I look at things on Pinterest for inspiration. Perhaps that's why some people leave? I do remember an incident about an ugly sofa on cl being posted, and the op was attacked over it and the seller of the sofa was notified about it, and after that the poster left. I can't remember who it was, but it was a regular contributor and I thought it was sad it came to that. Does anyone remember that?

This was a nice thread to read thru. Igloo chic, I remember how sick your son was, so glad tho hear he is better. I hold you responsible for the love of my chicken clock in my kitchen ;). Reno fan, I always loved your pics and your transformations of rooms or thrift store finds, I was sad when you left. I do remember you had some personal stuff going on, it's nice to see you check in and that you are happy.

I miss rmkitchen, I know she finally got a diagnosis on one of her children and it didn't sound good, I lost track after that. I hope she and her child are ok.

I remember the obnoxious guy too! Can't remember the name or the exact details and prob wouldn't have remembered if it wasn't mentioned. Was his name Richard or am I confusing him with another obnoxious guy from kitchens?

I hope johnmari is well. I remember her last post and I was very concerned. I just pray she is doing well.

o

Polly - I am sorry you didn't get the help you were looking for. I don't remember seeing your post. I am kind of hit or miss here - I take it by spurts - you know - real life. LOL

I always enjoy reading your posts. I hope you won't be a stranger!!

I do remember the "episode" you are talking about. I think I know which poster(s) were involved and who left, but hate to say so in case I'm wrong. I don't remember the obnoxious guy though!

People take this board too seriously!

o

Polly, I too am sorry you didn't get the help you needed here. I'm a pretty sporadic visitor anymore. So much so that I've missed all the drama of others leaving while I was last away. I just have too many other things going on in my life right now. I do still love the Garden Web and it's members though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here