Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitchdesj2

trying to remember members who fled

mitchdesj
10 years ago

I'm finding it more and more difficult to go back in time and remember certain members here who have disappeared and that stuck in my memory for some reason !

those that come to my mind right now are mistybear, jonmari, auntjen, squirrelheaven, colormeconfused,
threegrad, Les,

and there are others I forget their names but I could describe by some of their posts but that would take too long- does anyone have any shootouts to put here ?

sometimes I think they all read here but don't post, so I hope everyone is well !!

Comments (139)

• newdawn1895
    10 years ago

Hi Gail and Bumblebeez. Thanks for mentioning my name, how sweet.

I don't know why I stopped checking in at gardenweb. Although, I pop in from time to time, but, not often. I do think of old conversations and the fun I use to have on here.

Oh, I loved johnmari. I would of loved to have her as a friend in real life. She probably never imagined how much we loved and enjoyed her posts. What a writer she was, no? Come back JohnMari!

I remember Brutuses and she was from New Orleans. She was hurt and angry when she left. Although, I don't remember why.

Remember Parma? Her husband and her use to travel to Paris quite often. Remember?

Hi Aunt Jen!

Jane from Alabama.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

JANE! so happy to see you pop in! Please come back and tell us what's up with you!

tina

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, I miss Parma too. She just disappeared. So it was Brutuses I was thinking of. She and another poster kept having disagreements and, sadly, she left. Wish she would come back. Jane, so nice to hear from you! I really miss your posts. I always thought you should be a writer. Wish we would hear more from you!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Yes Brutuses was in New Orleans and they were building a new home. I remember the lovely shade of pale green/blue/aqua (?) paint in a picture she shared - and also the beaded board. I would LOVE to see the finished home. I do remember an altercation and some accusations, but I cannot remember who she was at odds with. I miss her posting also.

• User
    10 years ago

...or Acountryfarm? C'mon don't leave me wondering. :)

Hi Jane!

Oh yeah, Parma!

I haven't seen Redbazel in a long time either. I believe she was getting ready to move.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Parma and her purses ! Hi newdawn, your picture just appeared in my head, a thread about hair, I think.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

roccogirl (I think that is the name anyways) is another I've not seen in a while - awesome rug knowledge. I learned so much from her.

Chelone I thought was in the north east for some reason or at least that is what I pictured in my head. Great advice related to anything sewing.

• newdawn1895
    10 years ago

Sorry it took so long to get back here. Christmas is just around the corner and I just started two days ago. Yikes!

Tina how are you dear? How are things in Tennessee?

Hi Sheesharee. Did I read that you had a baby?

Hey Mitchdesi. Yes, it was me that talked about hair. Hair is everything.(lol)
    I remember your picture too. You've been on here a long time, huh?

Gail, a writer, huh? I think I love you.

Listen I am just about to jump into the shower and then go Christmas shopping.

I promise to write at length after the first of the year. I want to hear about everyones Christmas.

Bye for Now.

Jane

• reno_fan
    10 years ago

Hi all! I think of people here quite often and truly miss some of the folks' input here. I was thinking the other day about JohnMari. I hope all is well with her. Ascerbic wit, heart of gold, etc.

I am happily in yet a(nother) house here in Colorado, but find that as I age I care less and less about it looking like a magazine! I've had some pretty places, and as I've moved away from them I realized that NONE of my memories came from how they looked, but rather the memories within them. (I"m a real estate agent and also reno-addict at heart, I STILL do try to maximize each place to it's best potential, but I don't spend time obsessing over it like I used to.)

Current house view means I care a LOT more about looking out the window than I do decorating what's behind it. ;)

• reno_fan
    10 years ago

Me and my other half at Christmas this year.

This post was edited by reno_fan on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 10:40

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Hey Reno :). I still remember how fast you could whip a thing,or space, together. We all enjoyed coming here each day to view your lightning- like progress! Glad all is well .
    Another I've missed had darling cottage style home with picket fenced garden, in Costa Mesa, Ca., then moved to Ky.. And disappeared from this forum. Shoot! Can't remember her name. Was looking forward to seeing what she'd do in her new , much larger garden.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HI Reno and Newdawn !!!

• igloochic
    10 years ago

What a lovely thread to visit :) Thank you for the kind words.

What makes a member flee? Well life can be an issue, and that was partly my reason but there was also another poster who was sending me some terrible terrible stuff personally and I didn't want to be around it. That person has since been banned. But that said, life also gets in the way.

The other issue was the danged ipad. See I normally used a computer and so I was able to post at night and participate. The ipad made that so much harder (posting pictures) but I think I may have figured it out so I'm going to try again because frankly this forum is one of the best I've experienced online, ever.

Mom told you much of my life's update. I did spend a few months in hospital last year after a surgeon made a boo boo. I spent most of my focus trying to figure out how to get me back :) I started doing design work on commercial properties (just finished a building in anchorage for our company and it's lovely if I do say so myself LOL) and of course we always have this big box to deal with.

I'm deeply embroiled in piles of paperwork and government intrusion :p as we complete the adoption process for your dear little boy Wynn who is in China right now (He turned 3 on Dec 7th).

We opened the house for a charity tour this year (some folks may remember we did that four years ago and I thought it was a huge job putting up all six trees....lol this year I did 21). So now Iggy will be fully focused on removing said trees before they become tacky easter decorations...

I don't use my old email anymore so if I missed a shout out from someone I'm sorry. Sue, smooches....wow how many years back does that go? My little red head is now 8 Sue! And for those who knew of his illness, he has finally grown out of it (they said 7 to 9) and aside from a lasting feeding disorder, he is a healthy, though small, little red headed monster.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Just remembered the Ca. Poster who moved to Ky. Cat knapp.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

igloochic - so glad you popped in to give us an update, although I'm sorry to read of your hospital stay. Great news that your son has outgrown his illness. I remember your posts (and the chicken ? rooster? backsplash in your kitchen) on the kitchen forum years ago.

As for your current home - was that a typo? 21 trees? Surely you meant 12.....

Congrats on the upcoming adoption and hope to see you here again.
    Maire

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

Very nice to see so many "old" names here.

Redroze pops in every now and then, but I miss following the progress on her house.

Igloo! So glad to see you post here! I have been worried about you, I wonder if you have not seen any of my emails. I'm so sorry you were ill last year. Please drop me a line when you have a minute.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

igloo, you seem to have kept your spirit !!
    nice to get your update !!

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

good to hear from so many "old" folks!
    Igloo so happy to hear about the little guy doing so well! My DD is well and is getting married in May! I did send you an email to your old email a couple of months ago I think.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Thanks for an update Igloo. I have missed your posts.

• themommy1
    10 years ago

Maire_Cate, just to confirm , it was not a typo. Igloo did 21 trees in her house plus all the mantals and other room stuff you do.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Igloochic's Mom - that is truly impressive. I wish I could have gone on the tour, maybe she'll share some photos. I can only imagine how lovely her home looked.
    Thanks for posting the correction.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I hope everyone who has posted here, knows how wonderful they are. This is such a gracious memory walk from all and says a great deal about each of you as an individual with honor and respect. I have been on here forever, but not much of a poster. The people you have mentioned though are well remembered.

I reread the entire post, to remember each of you and those mentioned. Even though I'm unknown, all have been kind in their responses and want to thank all of you.

This post got me wondering how many may have changed their screen names. Admission I did, due to constant abrasive comments on another forum. Sadly that person has put the forum in idle and it is now rarely used, everyone seems to have "fled". I do see some of the posters gravitated over here and pleased they found a home also.

I just recently saw a post here from oceanna....it was a wonderful surprise. She worked so hard to build our gallery and take the time to comment/respond. With all the new sites to seek decor ideas, I still wander there to find something.

Hopefully none of us have to flee in order to applaud the great still here. And thanks to all for so much input and being gracious.

Loved hearing from so many mentioned.

• amysrq
    10 years ago

Greetings from your past!!

This morning, I received a color consulting inquiry from someone who found me here. I thought I might pop in and see if I could track back. This thread showed up and it has been a wonderful trip down memory lane for me, too!

I checked out a few years back because my business has grown and pretty much taken over my life! I am very happy to be talking color with clients, face-to-face, just like the old days here on GW/THS. When I am asked how I got my start, I always mention my participation here and how it helped me hone my ability to talk color. I wrote my posts with a lot of care, knowing how difficult it is to convey ideas across the chasm of the internet. That skill-building has helped me immensely in my consulting, and for that, I am grateful.

I had lunch with another IACC color person today and I mentioned you guys here and all the fun I used to have being part of this community. I recently started sending out newsletters and when I built my mailing list I came across names from here, from the past. How nice that was...Parma, KGWLisa, Jamies, Rococogrl, so many.

I remember CMC blowdrying her hair with a heatgun. Housekeeping/Molly's deep well of knowledge about just about everything. (She disappeared suddenyl when her husband fell ill and it always saddened me. She was incredibly generous on the Laundry Forum.) Jen's grandparents and her decor-life-changing trip to England. Allison's...well....everything! DLM's wonderful sons. Mitchdesj's amazing artwork and light fixture...and her beautiful daughter. Judigals' tomato canning project. Stinky Gardener's Queen Anne Pink living room. Parma's dining room niche. Funcolors' endless font of color intelligence. OakleyOK and all of her various projects, including some paint which I helped her with. Cooperbaily's front porch curtains (and the doggies, of course). Bruteses Grecian Green foyer. Mari's Wet Concrete, a color I specified twice last year, and thought of her each time. That color will forever be Mari's color to me! Pirula and her F&B colors. KGW's front door and the bathroom to die for. FlyLeft's mosaics - I got to meet her in person when I went to Oregon for a wedding. Also met up with Rococo in NYC at a design show. happy to say that BeeKeeper'sWife and I have been in regular contact for about two years now, mostly chatting about color and business.

I remember the icky combative guy. Very well. Was it Jason?? Oh well....hope he is better now.

So, hugs and kisses to all of you! I have enjoyed the reunion. I'll try to pop back in before long.... If you ever play in other sandboxes, you can find me on the "tome of visage" or the place that ends with ZZ. ;-) Be well, my friends!

This post was edited by amysrq on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 18:56

• bodiCA
    10 years ago

signed on looking for igloochic, first thread to open is this one, what fun to read! Hi everyone, nice to see you still here. Anyone on Pinterest? I did not know they limit pins and was so frustrated when I maxed. Is there a limit to participate here?

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

Chelone and Mari are the two people who alway pop in my head. Chelone was so helpful when it came to drapes. And I always so enjoyed Mari's posts. I hope they are both well.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

So nice to hear from you, Amy! When I saw this thread at the top of the list again, you were one of the two people I thought of before I opened the thread-- you and Parma! I do hope she's well also. I hear and see some of what's going on with your business on FB and through Beekeeperswife (who lives nearby). You bring such great energy to your videos-- your clients are lucky to have your enthusiasm, spirit and talents working for them. And I am the recipient (once-removed) of one of your recommendations-- I have gray owl in my bedroom (thanks Bee!) and I couldn't be happier with it!

I wish you all the best with your business.. and life! Please do stop in more frequently!

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Ajsmamma

There's an ajsmama who posts on the Tomato forum occasionally (I just replied on a thread she started there, then happened to see this thread in the recent-threads list on the right -- I'm getting so distracted by that!).

• sewwhatsnew
    10 years ago

Anyone heard from Les?? She always had a great eye for room arrangements and color. Is she still here occasionally? Do you remember her??? When she spoke I listened hehe

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Amy what a treat to see you here and I'm flummoxed that you remember my boys - how sweet of you! I recently started following you on FB and will have to check you out on Pinterest, too. One of these days..... we'll have a new house in NC and I'm determined NOT to go it alone this time and take a decade getting colors settled - I'll be in touch!

Les always amazed me with her ability to see a space without pictures. And I don't think anyone was better at room arrangement solutions. I do miss her and hope all is well. I have a vague recollection of a health issue with her DH.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I just noticed this post today. What a wonderful trip down memory lane and I, too, miss all those posters. I've been in here for so many years and hope to be here for many years to come. It's been a source of comfort, friendship and information. For me, it's been like visiting friends.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

A few of you mentioned the issue of, what if we passed away....
    A heard an attorney speaking about getting your affairs in order. She said the newest thing she recommends is leaving instructions about your on line life. How to log into your accounts like facebook, pininterest, blogs, forums, etc. and what to post and how to delete accounts. I think this is a good idea and plan to do it this week. I'll write everything down and tell my family where it is.

I sometimes think about posters on this forum and other gw forums that seem to suddenly disappear and worry something bad might have happened.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

So Auntjen=Sunnycottage?!
    (I had forgotten that!!)

Yay! How are ya Girl!??!?!

Faron

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Debra, I've heard of that too. I heard that some close friends and family members like their loved ones fb account open to use as a memorial and place where they can openly talk about their loss. And ofcourse fb doesn't want them removed because it keeps their numbers up when charging for ads.

• amysrq
    10 years ago

Funkyart, thanks so much for your kind words. I seem to recall a certain stairway. Was that you? And, I am glad you like the Gray Owl, too!

DLM, please drop me a note if I can help with the NC house. I remember when you were first starting to look/consider. Glad to hear that dream has come to fruition!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Not an old-timer, but I wonder what has happened to Anele. I always enjoyed her posts and her beautiful girls. Does anyone hear from her?

I concur with missing Les. She always had the best eye and ideas.

• polly929
    10 years ago

I was mostly a lurker, occasional poster. Now I seldomly check here. I recently posted on discussions, but I don't get many responses or the help in looking for, so now I look at things on Pinterest for inspiration. Perhaps that's why some people leave? I do remember an incident about an ugly sofa on cl being posted, and the op was attacked over it and the seller of the sofa was notified about it, and after that the poster left. I can't remember who it was, but it was a regular contributor and I thought it was sad it came to that. Does anyone remember that?

This was a nice thread to read thru. Igloo chic, I remember how sick your son was, so glad tho hear he is better. I hold you responsible for the love of my chicken clock in my kitchen ;). Reno fan, I always loved your pics and your transformations of rooms or thrift store finds, I was sad when you left. I do remember you had some personal stuff going on, it's nice to see you check in and that you are happy.

I miss rmkitchen, I know she finally got a diagnosis on one of her children and it didn't sound good, I lost track after that. I hope she and her child are ok.

I remember the obnoxious guy too! Can't remember the name or the exact details and prob wouldn't have remembered if it wasn't mentioned. Was his name Richard or am I confusing him with another obnoxious guy from kitchens?

I hope johnmari is well. I remember her last post and I was very concerned. I just pray she is doing well.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Polly - I am sorry you didn't get the help you were looking for. I don't remember seeing your post. I am kind of hit or miss here - I take it by spurts - you know - real life. LOL

I always enjoy reading your posts. I hope you won't be a stranger!!

I do remember the "episode" you are talking about. I think I know which poster(s) were involved and who left, but hate to say so in case I'm wrong. I don't remember the obnoxious guy though!

People take this board too seriously!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Polly, I too am sorry you didn't get the help you needed here. I'm a pretty sporadic visitor anymore. So much so that I've missed all the drama of others leaving while I was last away. I just have too many other things going on in my life right now. I do still love the Garden Web and it's members though.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did a search with brutuses, and this thread showed up and she is mentioned half way down, it gave me insight and a few details on what she was doing then, her memory will live on.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Has anyone ever been a member of a forum where a poster has died? I used to be a member of a forum where two members died. They were both sudden deaths. I still remember those posters fondly.

On another forum, I was the one who had to tell the others that a member had died. I did not know the person in real life, but we had emailed each other for a while about our lives. I found out about her death on the net. I still think about her, too.

This post was edited by LucyStar1 on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 20:21

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

OMG it's been years since this original post but I had fun reading through it this morning. I wonder how many are left now.

• judiegal6
    3 years ago

I’m still around. I remember most of these names. I’m the one with 6 daughters, and now 19 grandchildren.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

Mitch, I'm glad you are still around!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

Judie, are you the one with the awesome tomato garden? That your husband tends?

• cooperbailey
    3 years ago

I just found my way back a couple of weeks ago! My guys Cooper and Bailey crossed the Rainbow Bridge 5 years ago. And now we have our 4th beloved Golden Retriever, Griffin!

loved rereading this thread too. ah The memories!

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ah how nice! glad to see you all !!

• polly929
    3 years ago

I miss the old gardenweb. I left when it changed to houzz. Nice to see this resurrected.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I'm glad to see you, mitchdesj, and hope you and yours are doing great!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

Judie, I remember the tomato garden too, very impressive! Glad you are still around here.