Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Washington DC at Thanksgiving

ratherbesewing
10 years ago

My family (DH, and 2 college age kids) are vacationing in Washington DC during Thanksgiving break. We have visited before so we have seen many of the major highlights. Surprisingly, the museums are open even on Thursday. Anyway, I am looking for somewhere special to have turkey brunch/dinner and any unique sites that wouldn't be in my Frommers guide. If you live in the area,perhaps you have something special to recommend. Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• golddust
    10 years ago

I don't know much about NY but try Yelp. I downloaded the App years ago and I can't live without it. We have enjoyed so many wonderful meals while traveling. We have never been steered wrong.

Good luck and hurry! It's late for Thanksgiving reservations.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I had dinner at a restaurant called Vidalia in DC, near Dupont Circle. It was fantastic. They serve American cuisine, so Thanksgiving dinner should be wonderful. Better make reservations right away!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vidalia

• kswl2
    10 years ago

No restaurant recommendations, but if you like theater the Apple Family plays are on at the Studio Theater (1501 14th Street, NW). It's a repertory series but you can buy tickets to each play. They're showing T,W and Fri of Thanksgiving week. There are a LOT of excellent plays in DC and its environs right now. My favorite DC theater isn't doing anything this month, unfortunately--- but if you ever go back and are looking for an incredible experience, the Synetic Theater does physical staging only--- no dialogue-- and presents some of the most wonderful performances I have ever seen. The Tempest at the Synetic is the best staging of that play I have ever seen... you wouldn't think Shakespeare could be seen without words, but it was just incredibly powerful.

Anyway, there is a link below to the DC Theatre Scene--- you might find something convenient. Their staff picks have NEVER been wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: DC Theatre Scene

• deegw
    10 years ago

We've had brunch at the Fairmont before and it is really fabulous. I imagine they will be doing something special for Thanksgiving.

I would make reservations asap. I'm sure many of the most popular places are booked up by now. I made my turkey day reservations a month ago. Good luck and have fun on your trip. I love DC.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

One of my all time favorite DC restaurants is called CityZen or CitiZen, can't recall. Superb food. But not a holiday atmosphere, if that matters. I might look to Georgetown or Old Town Alexandria for a nice colonial vibe. CitiZen ia in the Mandarin Oriental. I like the MO too for its lovely views of the basin, but it is a taxi location. Hay Adams is more central, or the 4S in Geotown.

For dining recommendations, I find Chowhound.com unsurpassed. Unlike, say, trip advisor, it self-selects foodies.

• happy2b…gw
    10 years ago

Thanksgiving dinner should be good at these restaurants:

Old Ebbit Grill - 15 St NW, Washignton DC
    701 - Washington DC
    Normandie Farm - Potomac, MD
    Mrs. K's Toll House - Silver Spring, MD
    Historic Gadby's tavern - Alexandria, VA

Enjoy your holiday in DC

• gail618
    10 years ago

If you have a car and don't mind driving out of the city, my favorite restaurant, L'Auberge chez Francoise, would be lovely for Thanksgiving. Its out in Great Falls, Virginia, but it's a beautiful drive. About 45 min. or less from DC. They have a website with info about their Thanksgiving dinner but they fill up quickly.

This post was edited by gail618 on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 14:02

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I second Gail's suggestion!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Here is a link in case you are interested. It really is a wonderful place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanksgiving at l'Auberge...

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Take a look at the Clyde's Web site -- there are a few locations, one at Gallery Place (close by the Metro stop of the same name).

Also take a look at Hill Country barbecue and market. (Yes, they'll have turkey, too!) Friends say that place is fantastic. Menu looks yummy; seems reasonably priced compared with other places I've seen for Thanksgiving. I believe that's near the Convention Center Metro stop.

The Old Ebbitt has a traditional Thanksgiving menu. I think the regular-menu food is OK; persuade the kids not to order a burger (2 thumbs-down by some of my co-workers). If you or others in the family like oysters, that's your place. Old Ebbitt is a tourist magnet, being across from the White House, so make a reservation if you decide to go there on turkey day -- I'd expect there to be a line otherwise (if the place could accommodate walk-ins at all).

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler